Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:37 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times

Advertisements

If so many people are "worshipping" Obama, where are the temples and huge rallies?

Old 03-05-2013, 07:27 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim6624 View Post

The cult of personality surrounding Obama is not surprising, considering the intelligence levels of the groups that support him.
Well-stated.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:00 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times
The congregation is being led away from liberty and liberal and free thinking...commandments, doctrines and rules and now very clear fear, shunning a go to remedy ....thou shall pay for thy neighbors recreational sex tools and remedy's ...thou shall bake and design special cakes for thou brothers and sisters...design now or be dealt with....many precepts and doctrines in the new nation building....a heresy away from liberal, almost an emerging apostasy as the congregation is manipulated by both north and south hollystink.....even taking from the collection plate for fancy materialistic endeavors, vacations and dance partys....a life of riley for Padre Obama accompanied by thundering sermons from the higher pulpit of reason and great wisdom.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:06 AM

8,059 posts, read 3,945,174 times
Newsweek editor Evan Thomas is a true believer and acolyte:

Newsweek’s Evan Thomas: Obama Is ‘Sort of God’

EVAN THOMAS: Well, we were the good guys in 1984, it felt that way. It hasn't felt that way in recent years. So Obama’s had, really, a different task We're seen too often as the bad guys. And he – he has a very different job from – Reagan was all about America, and you talked about it. Obama is ‘we are above that now.’ We're not just parochial, we're not just chauvinistic, we're not just provincial. We stand for something – I mean in a way Obama’s standing above the country, above – above the world, he’s sort of God. He’s going to bring all different sides together. It's a very different-

He trumps that bizarre episode with this:

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-07-2013 at 04:47 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times
I will give the neo-cons this: There are definitely some in the media that fawn all over Obama (Chris Matthews, etc). However, I don't see this same behavior from average American folks.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:15 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultor View Post
Newsweek editor Evan Thomas is a true believer and acolyte:

Newsweek’s Evan Thomas: Obama Is ‘Sort of God’

EVAN THOMAS: Well, we were the good guys in 1984, it felt that way. It hasn't felt that way in recent years. So Obama’s had, really, a different task We're seen too often as the bad guys. And he – he has a very different job from – Reagan was all about America, and you talked about it. Obama is ‘we are above that now.’ We're not just parochial, we're not just chauvinistic, we're not just provincial. We stand for something – I mean in a way Obama’s standing above the country, above – above the world, he’s sort of God. He’s going to bring all different sides together. It's a very different-

He trumps that bizarre episode with this:
EXACTLY! Any liberals care to comment or did you slither away into a hole somewhere hoping no one sees this post above?

More importantly, will you denounce the writer or will your conspicuous silence be a collective nod of agreement?!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:18 AM

105 posts, read 84,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I will give the neo-cons this: There are definitely some in the media that fawn all over Obama (Chris Matthews, etc). However, I don't see this same behavior from average American folks.
Do you speak to them about Obama?
A friend of mine works in a grocery store with union workers, they have no clue what Obama's policies are but if you state one bit of critisizm against him they gang up on you and try to humilate you while telling you Obama is the greatest man ever!

Old 03-06-2013, 07:38 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
What forum liberals don't understand is that slobbering over the President doesn't merely require rave reviews, bombastic support, or even outright praise in order to be considered a sheep. More important than incessant outward support is the conspicuous silence that pervades this (and other) forums when this President screws up. Instead of coming forth and proclaiming that he's an idiot, incompetent, a terrible leader, or some other accurate adjective, you folks completely disappear and simply cannot force yourselves to admit that the guy you adore is a miserable failure.

This fundamental disingenuousness is plenty of evidence to support the notion that most liberals see no problem worshiping Barack Obama. The silence speaks volumes!
Because your criticisms aren't sufficient?

The President screws up, and you and your cohorts celebrate his mistakes, you shout from the rooftops, you declaim to the stars, you belabor the point until there's no point left. But that's not enough, no, you demand that EVERYONE come forth and proclaim that the President is an idiot, incompetent, a terrible leader. The President screws up. The President isn't perfect. And when you're doing such a good job at telling us all about it, why should we say anything? Do you need a chorus to make you feel validated?

Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
EXACTLY! Any liberals care to comment or did you slither away into a hole somewhere hoping no one sees this post above?

More importantly, will you denounce the writer or will your conspicuous silence be a collective nod of agreement?!
Why would anyone denounce Evan Thomas?

Doesn't he have just as much right to his opinion as you have to yours?

He's one guy. With an opinion. That most of us don't share. So what?

Old 03-06-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
DC, you are a smart guy. You have a good memory.... how is that materially different from what happened when GWB was president? Or Bill? or GHWB? or RR?

You and I both know that the oposing party does in fact, latch on to the things they dislike about the other guy and decry it as loud as possible.

What is materially different is the strange cult of personality surrounding BHO. It is weird.
Thanks for the compliment.

And yes, every President that has ever served, including Washington, has had critics. And vehement critics, at that. But what strikes me as strange is not that those critics latch on to things that they dislike, so much as that they expect everyone to latch on to those things. What makes this different is that I can't recall anyone at any time saying that the supporters of George HW Bush were worshipping the guy. I can't recall anyone at any time saying that Carter supporters were worshipping at the altar.

I disagree with your political perspective. That doesn't mean that I don't respect you or your views. I do. My personal experiences, my background have given me a different political perspective. Your personal experiences, your background have given you a different political perspective. When we have a discussion, I want to understand why you think the way you do. I hope that I can give you insight into why I think the way I do.

I don't think the average American is all that far apart in terms of political perspective from every other average American. We do have some extremists amongst us, but for the most part, Americans want the same things. We want the economy to thrive instead of to limp. We want things to be fair for all of us. We want our children to be educated and smart and creative. We want our government to respond to US, the PEOPLE, because that government is supposed to represent us. We want to be the best people we can be. We have a lot of common ground. And we can build on that common ground.

But what I see happening today is discourse that is characterized by insults. Like telling me that the only reason I support Obama is because I worship him. I don't. The only reason I support Obama is because I'm stupid and unable to think for myself. I think for myself quite well, thank you. The only reason I support Obama is because I want handouts. Well, that's untrue. I don't get any handouts, and I pay taxes. Here's the thing, I support Obama because his position on a number of issues came closer to my position than any of the other candidates running for President. I don't agree with Obama 100%. I doubt that many Republicans who liked Reagan very much agreed with Reagan 100% I don't approve of everything that Obama does. I doubt anyone who says they approved of everything any President has ever done. It just doesn't work that way.

In reality, if Romney had won, there would be liberals howling over how he did this or he did that. And some of his actions you wouldn't agree with. But the liberals would be making more than enough commotion about those things, that you wouldn't feel it necessary for you to chime in. The demand that some of us make that the people we disagree with should loudly proclaim when they do agree with us is irrational. And that's what I was trying to point out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies