Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 05:18 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The sequester fallout stories are getting as good as the election stories.
And they will get more dire as each day passes.
April 3, 2013 sequester story

The head of the Department of the Interior said in a press conference on the hill today that if the drastic and draconian sequester cuts are not restored California will fall into the ocean. This is the third of such warnings in as many days. The previous warning of closing all national parks and forests as well as the layoff of over 500 million government employees has not moved congress closer to restoring the sequester cuts.

The head of the Department of Interior later went on to say that the deep cuts takes beds and other life lines away from the unloved puppies and kittens accross the nation. "If the cuts are not restored teradactles will again snatch up the babies of America's animal kingdom she said."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 05:19 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,391,086 times
Quote:
OMG..I had to go there today to renew my license.
Got there at 11:30 and I got #36. They were calling #18.
TWO HOURS later they were up to #25.

I left because I didn't bring my pajamas.
Going back tomorrow and will be there when they open at 8:30.
Will bring a book and my lunch.

lol it's amazing how fast they are when you show up at 4:30 and they lock everyone in until every last person gets served.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:21 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think the Washington Times is playing the race card.

The Congressional Black Caucus is saying that since minorities, including blacks, are more likely to be employed in the public sector, by the government, that sequestration is more likely to affect them. Anyone think this statement is untrue?
This was exactly what I was thinking when I said it was Obama's idea and he hurt the ones most that voted for him. He did get a very high percentage of the black vote. The question is, "Why do these people have a higher percentage of government jobs?" Would the Congressional Black Caucus like to answer that?

Old 03-05-2013, 05:21 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
OMG..I had to go there today to renew my license.
Got there at 11:30 and I got #36. They were calling #18.
TWO HOURS later they were up to #25.

I left because I didn't bring my pajamas.
Going back tomorrow and will be there when they open at 8:30.
Will bring a book and my lunch.
You know what really burns me up when you are getting sore feet and back ache waiting in the slow moving line at the DMV? It's watching the DMV employees wasting time shooting the crap and talking story to the other DMV employees. They refuse to open another window, cause they are on their two hour break.

The employees at a DMV, like the one you went to, could give a rat's ass if we wait hours in line, and then are forced to leave because we have to pick up out children, because they don't paid for providing a good public service, they get paid for showing up, and they know they're the only game in town.

Old 03-05-2013, 05:40 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
This was exactly what I was thinking when I said it was Obama's idea and he hurt the ones most that voted for him. He did get a very high percentage of the black vote. The question is, "Why do these people have a higher percentage of government jobs?" Would the Congressional Black Caucus like to answer that?
Medicare advantage is getting clobbered by 0bamaCare, half of the $700 billion in cuts it makes to Medicare come from lowering fee for service to Medicare Advantage, which wil target a large percentage of minorities.

Medicare Advantage Plans Are a Vital Source of Coverage for Low-Income and Minority Beneficiaries | AHIP Coverage

Medicare Advantage is the part of Medicare through which private health plans provide comprehensive medical coverage to seniors and other Medicare beneficiaries. Almost 12 million Americans, or roughly 25 percent of all Medicare beneficiaries, have chosen to enroll in a Medicare Advantage plan because of the better services, higher-quality care and additional benefits these plans provide

Low - Income & Minority Beneficiaries in Medicare Advantage Plans

Among African-American active choosers with incomes between $10,001 and $20,000, 54 percent chose Medicare Advantage plans. Fifty-eight (58) percent of Asian-American active choosers and 66 percent of Hispanic active choosers in this income range were enrolled in Medicare Advantage plans.

Old 03-06-2013, 05:06 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,345,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
According to the government over 71% of executive branch employees are white. 16.7% are black.

I'm sure the other branches are similar.

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...6/table1-1.pdf

So to say say blacks will be hurt more is a falsehood made up by race hustlers that live in some make-believe land where everyone is out to keep the black man in his place.

Either that or they are just ignorant.

I'd say it's mostly the former but also a bit of the latter as well.....

Old 03-06-2013, 06:26 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Who would have thought that this would happen?

Democrats pull out race card in sequester game - Washington Times
That usually is the only card the Dems have to use.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
What do you mean when you say minorities have a higher percentage of government jobs?

Higher percentage?????

Let's be clear. The federal workforce is 60.7% white male. White males don't make up 60.7% of the population. But they make up 60.7% of the federal workforce. They are over-represented in the federal workforce. But that's not what the Congressional Black Caucus was talking about. They were talking about how, even though minorities are underrepresented in the federal workforce, that the federal government is still one of the leading employers of minorities. And since it is a primary employer, and minorities are most likely to work for the government in the lower grade levels, which are the levels which will be most affected by sequestration, that the impact on minorities will be greater than the impact on non-minorities.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:53 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
According to the government over 71% of executive branch employees are white. 16.7% are black.

I'm sure the other branches are similar.

http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...6/table1-1.pdf

So to say say blacks will be hurt more is a falsehood made up by race hustlers that live in some make-believe land where everyone is out to keep the black man in his place.

Either that or they are just ignorant.
Government is one of the primary employers of minorities, regardless if the minorities are still underrepresented. And minorities are most likely to work in the low-grade government positions that will be impacted the most by sequestration. So to say that the impact of sequestration disproportionately affects more minority workers is not a falsehood.

That the Congressional Black Caucus would focus its attention on minorities, and blacks especially, is logical. The Congressional BLACK Caucus was formed to address minority issues. That doesn't make them ignorant.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 AM

1,768 posts, read 3,413,298 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies