Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 08:48 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times

Advertisements

TSA to Allow Small Knives on Planes - WSJ.com

The TSA will now allow small pocket knives, but they can't have a "molded handle." I've been a knife afficianado since I was 10 years old, and I don't quite know what that is. Any handle is molded, i.e. shaped, isn't it? That's what the essence of a handle is, whether it's a door handle, knife handle, or broom handle.

It doesn't really matter since they will not allow pocket knives with locking blades. I wouldn't have a knife without a locking blade any more than a car without a seat belt. A non-locking blade could unexpectedly close on your finger and take it off.

We're being governed by utter morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 08:54 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,589,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

We're being governed by utter morons.
I agree.

3-25-2010_Hank_Johnson_Guam_Tip_Over.wmv - YouTube

Old 03-05-2013, 08:59 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
I have been on a commercial flight once in the last 20 years. I took all my pocket stuff (pen knife, nail clipper, 4" adjustable wrench) and my belt stuff (Leatherman Wave), and my toiletries (soap, denture stuff, etc.) and shipped them to my destination via UPS, along with the bulk of my clothes. The only things I had to worry about at the security check point was my glasses, my watch, and my belt buckle.
Oh, yeah, and my boots.
With any kind of luck, that will have been the last flight of my life.
I simply don't care what the TSA will or will not allow on an airplane!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times
i've lost at least 5 knives to the TSA since 2001- 4 of which i tossed to random people outside the line, rather than see perfectly good knives melted down.

molded handle exclusion=chock fulla derp.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:01 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
I know my rights were certainly taken from me when I couldn't carry a knife onto an airplane. What an imposition! Outrageous!!!

Old 03-05-2013, 09:10 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I know my rights were certainly taken from me when I couldn't carry a knife onto an airplane. What an imposition! Outrageous!!!
Pocket knives were allowed for decades prior to 9/11 without incident.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:07 PM

249 posts, read 492,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Pocket knives were allowed for decades prior to 9/11 without incident.
One time back in the late 1980s I got flagged by a carryon checker in Stockholm for a Swiss Army knife I had in my backpack.

My response? "What am I gonna do with that? Hijack the plane?!"

Their response? A chuckle, then she put it back in my pack and sent me thru.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:56 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i've lost at least 5 knives to the TSA since 2001- 4 of which i tossed to random people outside the line, rather than see perfectly good knives melted down.
In Texas they have a little shop near the airport where they sell all the stuff they confiscate that's not actually illegal contraband. Good knives, cheap; scissors; all kindsa stuff.

One of the big sellers at Austin are snow globes... the kind with the melted snowman, or the ones with the bats instead of snow. They make good gifts, but pack them well when you ship them.

I don't mind the ban... since 9/11 I think we all know it doesn't take a very big knife to pose a threat. I'm actually surprised they've loosened the rule.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:01 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
In Texas they have a little shop near the airport where they sell all the stuff they confiscate that's not actually illegal contraband. Good knives, cheap; scissors; all kindsa stuff.

One of the big sellers at Austin are snow globes... the kind with the melted snowman, or the ones with the bats instead of snow. They make good gifts, but pack them well when you ship them.

I don't mind the ban... since 9/11 I think we all know it doesn't take a very big knife to pose a threat. I'm actually surprised they've loosened the rule.
I think a more accurate way to state it would be "they fence all the stuff they steal"

Old 10-22-2014, 03:06 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,436,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralfaz View Post
One time back in the late 1980s I got flagged by a carryon checker in Stockholm for a Swiss Army knife I had in my backpack.

My response? "What am I gonna do with that? Hijack the plane?!"

Their response? A chuckle, then she put it back in my pack and sent me thru.
That was my response to a carryon checker in Newark stopping me from carrying yellow plastic tent stakes with a small popup tent in my carryon in July, 2001, as I rushed for the plane. "What am I gonna do with those? Hijack the plane?!" She was not laughing as she turned me away, saying, "They could be a weapon." I was not laughing as I missed my flight, having to rebook, check baggage, find someone to pick me up at the destination since I had missed the main group, locate the OTHER baggage once I arrived, miss the welcoming dinner. etc., etc., etc.

Four months later, on 9/11, I finally got her point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies