Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
The following is from Buffet's latest stockholder letter.

Berkshire’s “Big Four” investments – American Express, Coca-Cola, IBM and Wells Fargo – all had good
years. Our ownership interest in each of these companies increased during the year. We purchased additional shares of Wells Fargo (our ownership now is 8.7% versus 7.6% at yearend 2011) and IBM (6.0%versus 5.5%). Meanwhile, stock repurchases at Coca-Cola and American Express raised our percentage ownership. Our equity in Coca-Cola grew from 8.8% to 8.9% and our interest at American Express from 13.0% to 13.7%.

Berkshire’s ownership interest in all four companies is likely to increase in the future. Mae West had it right: “Too much of a good thing can be wonderful.”
There was a lot of hand-wringing last year among CEOs who cried “uncertainty” when faced with capital-allocation decisions (despite many of their businesses having enjoyed record levels of both earnings and cash). At Berkshire, we didn’t share their fears, instead spending a record $9.8 billion on plant and equipment in 2012, about 88% of it in the United States. That’s 19% more than we spent in 2011, our previous high.

Charlie and I love investing large sums in worthwhile projects, whatever the pundits are saying.
We instead heed the words from Gary Allan’s new country song, “Every Storm Runs Out of Rain.” We will keep our foot to the floor and will almost certainly set still another record for capital expenditures in 2013. Opportunities abound in America.

In addition Berkshire Hathaway announced that:

In February, we agreed to buy 50% of a holding company that will own all of H. J. Heinz.

Buffet and Berkshire Hathaway is doing what they have always done. Buying stocks they believe are undervalued and selling stocks that they believe are overvalued.
Exactly. It is a simple stratergy, but the idea still eludes many, as you can tell by the comments on this thread. Whenever they think any given sector is low, they go in, and when a sector is high, they get out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 09:26 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Roubini said the mother of all bubbles has begun.
roubini speaks with the tone of some oracle but his predictions this past twelve months have been mostly way off

stopped clock and all that

Old 03-06-2013, 09:27 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Got any evidence of that? It is well known that Warren Buffet is a big believer in the stock market, not gold. He said so once again just the other night in an interview with Charlie Rose.
buffett has never hid his disdain for gold , he owns none

Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The consumers don't have money to consume. How can people buy my product if they don't have money to spend on it??

We need more wealth in the middle class and lower class to stimulate spending. Money to the wealthy does nothing.
Hey, quit pickin' on the "job creators" will ya!

Old 03-06-2013, 09:35 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Hey, quit pickin' on the "job creators" will ya!
I don't get this witch-hunt with the mainstream republicans going after the "evil rich people".

Old 03-06-2013, 09:36 AM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
HA! Newsmax, the partisan right wing entertainment source which is always anti-American.
Exactly. Famous for only telling half a story and filling the rest in with conspiracy theories.

These billionaires may be selling their stock, but that stock is not just sitting there on the open market, or else the price of the stock would go down. These stocks are actively TRADING, meaning one billionaire is selling them, and another billionaire (or institutional investor) is buying them.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:38 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,237,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I don't get this witch-hunt with the mainstream republicans going after the "evil rich people".
Maybe someday we'll both find out.

Old 03-06-2013, 02:10 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The consumers don't have money to consume. How can people buy my product if they don't have money to spend on it??

We need more wealth in the middle class and lower class to stimulate spending. Money to the wealthy does nothing.
Some consumers have some money to consume, no matter how poor they may be.

Buffet is buying up Heinz because even po' folks buy ketchup, just like rich folks do.

Old 03-06-2013, 03:13 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
By the time normal Joe jumps into something the elite are selling.

NEVER chase the bubble.
Be the bubble you wish to see in the world.

Personally? Buy McDonalds. I'm going there now....get my money while I'm willing to give it to you. You have 5 minutes...go, go, go!

Old 03-06-2013, 04:30 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
One poster said that Buffet is a long run investor and I think that is true. He took the same amount of beating that all other investors took in 08 and early 09. I saw his fund performance in the economic section and just like mostly anyone else he is barely a little over from his high. I would not put too much stock in him selling or doing anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies