Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 07:48 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Yes, it's just you, Nita. Well, you and the passel of Conservatives who are sure to follow in this thread, screaming about cuts in government services even though they spent the last four years insisting on them. The sequester happened because your side was too rigid to do anything to stop it, so yes, some things had to be cut. If you are unhappy with it, you should speak to your representatives in Congress instead of trying to blame the First Lady.
Where did I blame the first lady? I simply asked where is the money coming from to bring these kids from all over the place to the White house gardens when there isn't enough money to allow kids to tour the WhiteHouse? Did my congressman or yours make the choice to allow this but not tours? Absolutely not, this was done by the White House...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2013, 07:53 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,871,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Where did I blame the first lady? I simply asked where is the money coming from to bring these kids from all over the place to the White house gardens when there isn't enough money to allow kids to tour the WhiteHouse? Did my congressman or yours make the choice to allow this but not tours? Absolutely not, this was done by the White House...
It was implied in your post when you complained that there is no money for White House tours but there is money for the First Lady's program. And yes, the White House made cuts--that the Conservatives demanded. And now you guys are whining and pointing fingers because the cuts that you demanded were made and you don't like it. There are lots of really worthwhile, life altering things that have been cut as well. That's what you guys demanded and that's what you're getting. Sorry, I have no sympathy for the Conservatives that are complaining about it now.

Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
It was implied in your post when you complained that there is no money for White House tours but there is money for the First Lady's program. And yes, the White House made cuts--that the Conservatives demanded. And now you guys are whining and pointing fingers because the cuts that you demanded were made and you don't like it. There are lots of really worthwhile, life altering things that have been cut as well. That's what you guys demanded and that's what you're getting. Sorry, I have no sympathy for you.
Nothing was cut but the tours. Those who gave the tours are still working there getting paid to, I don't know what? Shoo away rabbits from the garden?

Old 04-05-2013, 10:28 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
It was implied in your post when you complained that there is no money for White House tours but there is money for the First Lady's program. And yes, the White House made cuts--that the Conservatives demanded. And now you guys are whining and pointing fingers because the cuts that you demanded were made and you don't like it. There are lots of really worthwhile, life altering things that have been cut as well. That's what you guys demanded and that's what you're getting. Sorry, I have no sympathy for the Conservatives that are complaining about it now.
yes, I implied that, and I meant too do just that. Someone paid for theose kids to come from other states to plant vegetables, and the money, most likely came from our government, but that is not blaming the first lady..

There are very few posters here that can spin comments like you can. It is too bad some can't have a decent, and objective debate...

I am amazed you are not concenned about where the money for these projecrts are coming from? I think every American tax payer should care, when we are seeing FAA cut backs, for starters. This doesn't have anything to do with who insisted on cuts, it has more to do with wasteful spending when we are supposed to be tightening our belts.

I am not talking about the kids who live in the D.C. area who took part in the planting, good for them. I am more concerned about the cost of bringing kids from other states when the White House found it necessary to close tours because of cost cuts. Those kids were paying their own way and viewing the inside of the White House is a little more educational than planting a row of lettuce.

Nita

Old 04-05-2013, 10:30 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
First of all, you need to take a look at appropriations, and stop looking at discretionary spending. White house tours are discretionary spending.

There's no money for salaries (see: federal employees furloughed, lose up to 20% of their pay) and there's no money for tours.

How many threads do we need on this topic?
Try this: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...shut-down.html

Old 04-05-2013, 10:55 AM

If Obama would simply require his employee's pay their taxes there would be more than enough to cover these costs.

As Obama demands rich Americans pay more in taxes, the IRS reveals 36 Obama aides are far behind in their taxes by Andrew Malcolm - Investors.com

36 Obama aides owe $833,000 in back taxes

Old 04-05-2013, 10:56 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Isn't is amazing, the government and the White House can't find any money for school kids, to tour the White House, even though these kids had their trip planned of months, but suddenly there is all kinds of money available for Michelle and the kids to plant lettuce and other veggies in her garden? I guess they don't have to have security offered when they are working outdoors. Is it just me, or do others wonder who paid for those kids to come from several different states, including Fl just to plant lettuce leaves? Wasn't the main reason for shutting down the tours the cost of secret service security?
Lettuce seeds are cheap.

Old 04-05-2013, 10:57 AM

Obama refuses to acknowledge whether or not a single White House employee has faced any time off.

President Obama is getting lots of attention for his decision to return 5 percent of his $400,000 annual salary (or $20,000) to the Treasury in a show of solidarity with soon-to-be furloughed feds.
But the White House is not disclosing how many of the people–many of them political appointees–who work for the Executive Office of the President are themselves facing the pain of unpaid time off.

White House mum on how many presidential staffers will be furloughed

Old 04-05-2013, 10:58 AM

398 posts, read 818,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
First of all, you need to take a look at appropriations, and stop looking at discretionary spending. White house tours are discretionary spending.

There's no money for salaries (see: federal employees furloughed, lose up to 20% of their pay) and there's no money for tours.

How many threads do we need on this topic?
Try this: //www.city-data.com/forum/polit...shut-down.html
Maybe what we should be looking at is all the money the secret service has for whores in Latino countries, but no money to keep White House tours available to the people who pay their salaries. Or all the money Homeland Security uses to buy mega amounts of ammunition and then stage "war games" to stop the zombies. Or the GSA guy who had his bubble bath for all to see. If we can pay for all that, does it not seem possible to go ahead and pay for White House tours? Apparently there are choices of where the money goes...one side would like to see some of the money go for educational and historical outlets for we the people, such as tours of the White House.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:05 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Obama refuses to acknowledge whether or not a single White House employee has faced any time off.

President Obama is getting lots of attention for his decision to return 5 percent of his $400,000 annual salary (or $20,000) to the Treasury in a show of solidarity with soon-to-be furloughed feds.
But the White House is not disclosing how many of the people–many of them political appointees–who work for the Executive Office of the President are themselves facing the pain of unpaid time off.

White House mum on how many presidential staffers will be furloughed
Political appointees are exempt from furloughs. And yes, that ticks me off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies