Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2013, 11:54 AM

31,288 posts, read 20,670,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
So what?
I really don't understand the point of these threads (and yes, we've had at least three with this same topic).
The purpose is to educate the dolts who think poor people in America live a life of poverty.

Quote:
Do you begrudge these people the few comforts that they have?
No. I blame the government for taking our hard earned tax dollars and giving them to leeches.

Quote:
Do you want the poor in this country to live like the poor in Mexico or Brazil or elsewhere?
No.

Quote:
Do you not believe that they are poor?
I believe many (maybe most) of them are not poor by world or historical standards.

Quote:
Is it their fault that our standard of living is what it is?
No. It's our government's fault that it pays able bodied people to sit on their butt.

Quote:
Do you want a return to the days when the poor did live in tenements and shared bathrooms and had no kitchens?
No. I want to return to the days when able bodied people worked rather than sucked resources from hard working tax payers.

Quote:
Does it not make you glad that you live in a country where most of the poor are not treated worse than animals?
But we do. We have made them dependent on the government, like animals.

Quote:
Or should every poor neighborhood be like the Navajo or Pine Ridge Reservations - little running water, no central heating...?
If that's what they prefer, I'm OK with it. That should be their choice. If they are able bodied and choose not to work, they shouldn't get government support including heat and running water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
India undeveloped-then why do thousands of Americans go to India every year for medical treatment as US has very expensive medical care system? 100% Indians have access to public transportation and can afford college education-whats the ratio here in USA? In that sense-health care, transportation, education-USA is undeveloped country.

I've been to India. You really should stop posting such drivel.

Old 03-06-2013, 11:58 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,543,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I respectfully disagree that it's human to take advantage, or cheat, or steal and that honest, moral people are rare. It personally offends me and offends my feeling about others who I know to be good. It was not very long ago at all that there was a stigma to being on the dole or trying to game to get something for nothing. People would do anything to be able to do for themselves. We have to look at what has changed from the outside in.

I still believe most people are honest and would not steal or take advantage of others for no reason except greed. If it comes to that then it's all over. Why have a social system at all if we're that soulless and cold. No, the people who commit these behaviors are scum, losers and abusers, not just "being human". Please understand that. Stop making this behavior seem normal, hold people to some kind of standard.
So, if 100 different people were to find a paper bag on the street with $10,000 in it, you think that the large majority of them would take that bag to the police and attempt to find the rightful owners of that money?

I would say maybe 5 out the 100 but probably even less would.

Last edited by lucknow; 03-06-2013 at 12:27 PM..

Old 03-06-2013, 12:01 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,713,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Americans should travel to countries like India, China, Morocco, Mexico, Argentine and South Africa to see what real poverty looks like. I guess being poor isn't what it used to be back in the "good old days".

● Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.
● Fully 92 percent of poor households have a microwave; two-thirds have at least one DVD player and 70 percent have a VCR.
● Nearly 75 percent have a car or truck; 31 percent have two or more cars or trucks.
● Four out of five poor adults assert they were never hungry at any time in the prior year due to lack of money for food.
● Nearly two-thirds have cable or satellite television.
● Half have a personal computer; one in seven have two or more computers.
● More than half of poor families with children have a video game system such as Xbox or PlayStation.
● Just under half — 43 percent — have Internet access.
● A third have a widescreen plasma or LCD TV.
● One in every four has a digital video recorder such as TiVo.
● At a single point in time, only one in 70 poor persons is homeless.
● The vast majority of the houses or apartments of the poor are in good repair; only 6 percent are over-crowded.
● The average poor American has more living space than the average non-poor individual living in Sweden, France, Germany or the United Kingdom.
● Only 10 percent of the poor live in mobile homes or trailers; half live in detached single-family houses or townhouses, while 40 percent live in apartments.
● Forty-two percent of all poor households own their home; on average, it’s a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.

Strange Facts about America
OMFG. I knew this had to be published by a right wing extremist group, and it is: The National Review. It has a billion holes in it. Where do I even begin????

First, they cite this as a reference:
Many See Those in 'Poverty' As Not So Poor - Rasmussen Reports™
It's an opinion poll, of which some (of course) of the responders are right wing extremists like the person who posted this OP.

But notice The National Review uses this opinion poll as "proof" that people in poverty aren't really:

"The public generally thinks of poverty as substantial material hardship such as homelessness, or malnutrition and chronic hunger. In reality, the vast majority of those identified as poor by the annual census report did not experience significant material deprivation."

Then, without facts, statistics or anything, they pull this out of their sleeve:
For starters, a poor child in American is far more likely to have a widescreen plasma television, cable or satellite TV, a computer and an Xbox or TiVo in his home than he is to be hungry. How can that be?

It's amazing how right wingers and right wing media manipulate to promote their lies. They use opinions as facts, imaginings as proof, post news reports that are either not updated or are not cited, and promote their ideas - which is that the poor is not really that poor, that the poor are living quite well, that the poor is guilty of being poor because they're lazy, etc. etc.

Look at this uncited "source" from the OP's article:

In 2009, the U.S. Department of Agriculture asked parents living in poverty this question... Only 4 percent of poor parents responded “yes,” their children had been hungry at some point in the year.

However, ABC reported this in 2011:
[LEFT]
Quote:
As many as 17 million children nationwide are struggling with what is known as food insecurity.
Quote:
[/LEFT]
[/LEFT]

As for these little factoids by the National Review's article. OMG! I'm considering "going poor!" The poor in the U.S. are doing better than the middle class! Wow!

Quote:
● Eighty percent of poor households have air conditioning. By contrast, in 1970, only 36 percent of the entire U.S. population enjoyed air conditioning.
● Fully 92 percent of poor households have a microwave; two-thirds have at least one DVD player and 70 percent have a VCR.
● Nearly 75 percent have a car or truck; 31 percent have two or more cars or trucks.
● Four out of five poor adults assert they were never hungry at any time in the prior year due to lack of money for food.
● More than half of poor families with children have a video game system such as Xbox or PlayStation.
● The vast majority of the houses or apartments of the poor are in good repair; only 6 percent are over-crowded.
● The average poor American has more living space than the average non-poor individual living in Sweden, France, Germany or the United Kingdom.
● Only 10 percent of the poor live in mobile homes or trailers; half live in detached single-family houses or townhouses, while 40 percent live in apartments.
● Forty-two percent of all poor households own their home; on average, it’s a three-bedroom house with one-and-a-half baths, a garage, and a porch or patio.
I don't even have the time to address all that b_llsh_t, it's so insane. The amount of lies from the right wing is so vast, I honestly don't even know WHERE to begin, or how long it would take to tear so much sh_t apart. It's not the tearing apart that is exhausting, it's the VOLUME of lies they spew. Don't you people even get a headache when you post so many lies?

Old 03-06-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
OMFG. I knew this had to be published by a right wing extremist group, and it is: The National Review. It has a billion holes in it. Where do I even begin????
Typical. Attack the source when you don't have facts.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:08 PM

2,142 posts, read 1,896,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
how many poor people or Middle class have

1)Savings, Investments
2) Access to affordable health care
3) Access to Public Transportation
4) Ability to afford College Education without saddling down to student Loan debt.

Slave wages, high debt with poor access to education and transportation. Americans should be ashamed of that.
Most Americans are just ashamed of you munna. Clearly you don't believe in one carrying their own weight.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:11 PM

19,461 posts, read 12,092,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
So, if 100 different dofferent people were to find a paper bag on the street with $10,0000 in it, you think that the large majority of them would take that bag to the police and attempt to find the rightful owners of that money?

I would say maybe 5 out the 100 but probably even less would.
If the bag fell out of someone's purse most would return it to the owner. If it were just on a street with no one around, probably most would take it rather than bring it to the police. I would pick it up and wait to see if there is a notice about lost cash with a clear description and if so, then return it to the owner.

But we are talking about actively using the system to get something for nothing when the alternative is to do something productive with your life. Most want to do something, to contribute to society in some way. Those who can do so and choose not to are losers and leeches. Most people know some of these and have some as family members. The type that tries to mooch off mom and dad and then steal the inheritance. Anything to not have to work for a living. Most people aren't this awful.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:24 PM

...your posts are like a trainwreck Saritaschihuahua, flapping your appendages and yelling at the top of your lungs as you fly off the rails.

Quote:

But notice The National Review uses this opinion poll as "proof" that people in poverty aren't really:

"The public generally thinks of poverty as substantial material hardship such as homelessness, or malnutrition and chronic hunger. In reality, the vast majority of those identified as poor by the annual census report did not experience significant material deprivation."
What are you talking about? The article attempted to prove nothing as fact. It stated 'by this simple test' "about 80 percent of the Census Bureau’s “poor” people would not be considered poor by their fellow Americans."

Quote:
Then, without facts, statistics or anything, they pull this out of their sleeve:
For starters, a poor child in American is far more likely to have a widescreen plasma television, cable or satellite TV, a computer and an Xbox or TiVo in his home than he is to be hungry. How can that be?
This statistic is clearly established by the statistics included in the story that were "taken from various government reports"...what are you questioning here?

Quote:
It's amazing how right wingers and right wing media manipulate to promote their lies. They use opinions as facts, imaginings as proof, post news reports that are either not updated or are not cited, and promote their ideas - which is that the poor is not really that poor, that the poor are living quite well, that the poor is guilty of being poor because they're lazy, etc. etc.

Look at this uncited "source" from the OP's article:

In 2009, the U.S. Department of Agriculture asked parents living in poverty this question... Only 4 percent of poor parents responded “yes,” their children had been hungry at some point in the year.

However, ABC reported this in 2011:
[LEFT][/LEFT]

As for these little factoids by the National Review's article. OMG! I'm considering "going poor!" The poor in the U.S. are doing better than the middle class! Wow!
So instead of going by the mouths of the parents in the department of agriculture question, you would trust academic's new concept of 'food insecurity' that tells people, "yes, actually you are in fact hungry. even if you don't think so"
Pathetic.

I have a hard time believing that you are even living in the same reality as the rest of us Saritaschihuahua. Your posts allow us to look through your eyes down that bizarre tunnel of distortion that you call a worldview, and it is quite a sight to behold.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:28 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,569,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Americans should travel to countries like India, China, Morocco, Mexico, Argentine and South Africa to see what real poverty looks like. I guess being poor isn't what it used to be back in the "good old days".

Strange Facts about America
I take it you rather our people be poor like those people in India, China, Mexico, etc.? Regardless, there are different levels of poor and it's rough living in either one.

Old 03-06-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I take it you rather our people be poor like those people in India, China, Mexico, etc.? Regardless, there are different levels of poor and it's rough living in either one.
It's 'rough' living in general, the advantages however far outweigh the petty little problems. Any complaints?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies