Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 03:38 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,432,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I agree with Rand, and don't like the shooting of people when not in self defense. . .which drones wouldn't be capable of worrying about.

Here is the thing though. . don't see this as an Obama issue. I'm willing to bet that almost ANY president would of done the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 03:40 PM

8,060 posts, read 3,941,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Isn't that what the standard says.
For the rest of the world - yes. For Obama - no.

Obama operates by a separate set of definitions that he and his "Terror Tuesday" buddies wrote themselves.

Obama now believes he can kill anyone anywhere on the planet simply because he has given himself the authority to do so.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:41 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I agree with Rand, and don't like the shooting of people when not in self defense. . .which drones wouldn't be capable of worrying about.

Here is the thing though. . don't see this as an Obama issue. I'm willing to bet that almost ANY president would of done the same thing.
Indeed as a generalization. Any president? No but any that has had any real chance of being elected the last 10 years? Yes, most likely.

It's why McCain is so pissed over what Rand did. He supports the actions.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:53 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,108,186 times
I'm a liberal. I can't stand Rand Paul. HOWEVER, I not only agree with him on this issue, I also have a great deal more respect for him having the courage of his conviction to stand on his feet for 12 hours to make his point rather than hiding in the shadows and pulling strings for a "silent filibuster" that requires no effort at all.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:55 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
So, cops kill people every day, yes. But do they walk up to suspected criminals and blow their head off? No, no they don't. .
I have not heard anyone propose we start using drones to kill any suspected criminals. All I have heard is people talk about "extraordinary circumstance" scenarios. If you had a terrorist who you knew was trying to blow up a nuke and there was no other way to stop him than a drone, then the only two chooses you have is to either allow him to blow up the nuke, or use the drone to stop it.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:56 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
I'm a liberal. I can't stand Rand Paul. HOWEVER, I not only agree with him on this issue, I also have a great deal more respect for him having the courage of his conviction to stand on his feet for 12 hours to make his point rather than hiding in the shadows and pulling strings for a "silent filibuster" that requires no effort at all.
Thank you. You don't have to like to acknowledge that he is right about this. I'm a conservative, but I'm willing to admit that my side is wrong on gay rights. I wish everyone would think for themselves instead of just parroting their party-line.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:59 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,009,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I have not heard anyone propose we start using drones to kill any suspected criminals. All I have heard is people talk about "extraordinary circumstance" scenarios. If you had a terrorist who you knew was trying to blow up a nuke and there was no other way to stop him than a drone, then the only two chooses you have is to either allow him to blow up the nuke, or use the drone to stop it.
If they are on American soil, then why would that be your only option?

If you know where they are, then bring them in.

And those "extraordinary circumstances" are a slippery slope. After 9/11, we have been engaged in a "War on Terror" that knows no boundaries and no end date. You can use those "war powers" to justify anything.

And, please understand, I do believe Obama is a good person with good intentions. I think he really is trying to do the right thing for the American people. But the precidents that are set now will be almost impossible to unravel down the road.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:09 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
If they are on American soil, then why would that be your only option?

If you know where they are, then bring them in.

And those "extraordinary circumstances" are a slippery slope. After 9/11, we have been engaged in a "War on Terror" that knows no boundaries and no end date. You can use those "war powers" to justify anything.

And, please understand, I do believe Obama is a good person with good intentions. I think he really is trying to do the right thing for the American people. But the precidents that are set now will be almost impossible to unravel down the road.
It could be the only option if time was short. Why are you more comfortable with taking them out with helicopters than drones? As for Obama, I don't know him, so I don't know if he is a good person or not. I did not vote for him, but this drone-phobia is too much for me. Why does the manner of the weapon matter if you are going to kill someone anyway?

Old 03-08-2013, 05:26 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
K9 handlers do have guidelines. Cops, border partol and everyone else has guidelines. The whole argument "the president has no guidlines" is insane. Has any president ever had guidelines? Now that we have drones, we are suddenly concerned about guidlines, but before when we had other equipment, it was not an issue. Why not?

I have asked before, and I'll ask again: what do the drones have to do with anything? You think that president suddenly want to kill people, just because they have drones? If presidents wanted to kill people they could do it in a thousand different ways, and trying to stop it by banning drones, is even more stupid than trying stop all murders by banning "assault" rifles.
I said K9s, not K9 handlers.

The drones are an issue b/c this President has shown that he will sentence Americans to death by putting their name on a list, with no justification before or explanation after about their crimes or evidence against them, and with no legal input either. So the question now is are you going to do that Americans in America, and he's defended his authority to sentence Americans to death, with no trial, and no explanation afterwards or presentation of evidence against them. No President should have that power. No one person in America should have that power.

Obama's administration has already labeled hackers as terrorists. What if they decided that Julian Assange was such a threat that they shouldn't even try to arrest him. No court, no appeal, Assange will just be dead when the opportunity presents itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Why is it that you think the Army and the CIA are not subject to Federal Law? I would think that the FBI, ICE, BATF or whatever agency charged with protecting nuclear materials would be more likely to be operators.
It's why soldiers & CIA operatives can kill people and not be brought up on charges of murder. There are different rules on a battlefield and allowing drones to be used in America is declaring America a battlefield.

Old 03-08-2013, 05:33 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
It's why soldiers & CIA operatives can kill people and not be brought up on charges of murder. There are different rules on a battlefield and allowing drones to be used in America is declaring America a battlefield.
A soldier can be brought up on murder charges. They can not kill simply because they decide someone should be dead and do have to explain their actions when those actions are questioned.

Soldier charged with 17 murder counts in Afghan rampage, may face death

Soldier charged with 17 murder counts in Afghan rampage, may face death - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies