Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 10:25 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,889,616 times

Advertisements

Don’t take your laptop out of the country!

Travelers’ Laptops may be detained at borders.

Looks like Federal agents my enjoy your laptop for a while and return it whenever they’re done with it. It looks like some of your personal liberties and freedoms are now gone from your right to privacy thanks to this administration and the changing of your constitutional rights.

washingtonpost.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Read the policy.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/admissability/search_authority.ctt/search_authority.pdf (broken link)

They can search it, they have always had this ability. They can keep it unless otherwise stated in section D. That is, they must have probable cause of any unlawful wrongdoing to do so.

If you have illegal stuff on there, yes, they will keep it for an undetermined amount of time. If you have data encrypted on it and refuse to allow them to see it, they will send it to authorities that have the ability to decipher it.

While this may seem "offensive", it is honestly no different than the already in place searches and practices they have had before.

Now if you want to complain about something, complain about the issue of poorly trained security officers who will be handling this. That is, people who are under qualified to handle sensitive data policies and procedures. If you want to complain about that, I am with you as I do not want some idiot security officer running through my sensitive data and through their own lack luster behavior violating measures of data confidentiality and integrity.

Most businesses (smart ones) that have secure data won't allow their employee's to carry it on laptops anyway as devices like that are highly susceptible to theft which is the number one problem with these devices. Most run their laptops clean and use remote access to private data to avoid these issues.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:08 AM

1,076 posts, read 3,553,601 times
use an old junky one & download a map and file it under bin ladens hideout, that'll keep em busy for a while, but they would screw that up too, freakin idiots.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:47 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Read the policy.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/admissability/search_authority.ctt/search_authority.pdf (broken link)

They can search it, they have always had this ability. They can keep it unless otherwise stated in section D. That is, they must have probable cause of any unlawful wrongdoing to do so.

If you have illegal stuff on there, yes, they will keep it for an undetermined amount of time. If you have data encrypted on it and refuse to allow them to see it, they will send it to authorities that have the ability to decipher it.

While this may seem "offensive", it is honestly no different than the already in place searches and practices they have had before.

Now if you want to complain about something, complain about the issue of poorly trained security officers who will be handling this. That is, people who are under qualified to handle sensitive data policies and procedures. If you want to complain about that, I am with you as I do not want some idiot security officer running through my sensitive data and through their own lack luster behavior violating measures of data confidentiality and integrity.

Most businesses (smart ones) that have secure data won't allow their employee's to carry it on laptops anyway as devices like that are highly susceptible to theft which is the number one problem with these devices. Most run their laptops clean and use remote access to private data to avoid these issues.
Anybody that has an ounce of IQ would not carry anything on a laptop he does not want anybody else to see. That is what small flash drives are for. The thief (a real thief or the government) might steal my laptop but my flashdrive they never get.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:58 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,159,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Anybody that has an ounce of IQ would not carry anything on a laptop he does not want anybody else to see. That is what small flash drives are for. The thief (a real thief or the government) might steal my laptop but my flashdrive they never get.
This new revelation shows that all forms of digital and analog media are included in their search, including mp3 players, digital cameras, cell phones, and memory sticks. They also claim the right to search any papers without individual suspicion.
Quote:
The policies state that officers may "detain" laptops "for a reasonable period of time" to "review and analyze information." This may take place "absent individualized suspicion."

The policies cover "any device capable of storing information in digital or analog form," including hard drives, flash drives, cellphones, iPods, pagers, beepers, and video and audio tapes. They also cover "all papers and other written documentation," including books, pamphlets and "written materials commonly referred to as 'pocket trash' or 'pocket litter.' "

Reasonable measures must be taken to protect business information and attorney-client privileged material, the policies say, but there is no specific mention of the handling of personal data such as medical and financial records.
No more proprietary rights for software developers, either. The US government now owns intellectual property rights for anything that crosses its borders. The RIAA is sitting in the corner rubbing their greasy palms together. They can now have the DHS search for illegal music and videos on your devices. Combine this with the new housing law that gives the IRS access to any transactions you make on your credit or debit cards, the government knows what you did on your trip even while out of the country. We've already seen that the Patriot Act allowed a lot of illegal and uncalled for invasions of privacy. The national security letters is just one example.

It's time we remember the Constitution again.
Quote:
Amendment 4
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and
effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and
no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or
affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the
persons or things to be seized.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
This new revelation shows that all forms of digital and analog media are included in their search, including mp3 players, digital cameras, cell phones, and memory sticks. They also claim the right to search any papers without individual suspicion.

No more proprietary rights for software developers, either. The US government now owns intellectual property rights for anything that crosses its borders. The RIAA is sitting in the corner rubbing their greasy palms together. They can now have the DHS search for illegal music and videos on your devices. Combine this with the new housing law that gives the IRS access to any transactions you make on your credit or debit cards, the government knows what you did on your trip even while out of the country. We've already seen that the Patriot Act allowed a lot of illegal and uncalled for invasions of privacy. The national security letters is just one example.

Well- if they can find my flashdrive, they can look at it. But I sure as hell ain't gonna tell them where it is. And if I really don't want them to see it, I will simply send it via carrier. They have dogs for sniffing drugs- not flashdrives. Ad for the government knowing what you do, cash is king. Pay cash and no trace of it is there. You don't want the government listening in on your phone calls? Go buy a trac phone. Pay cash for it, turn it on and say you are "John Doe" and talk all you want.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:23 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Remember McCarthy? US citizens of Japanese decent being rounded up and locked away? Persons thrown into jail and held because it was wartime, and their views failed to toe the line?

We all want terrorism stopped, it just really makes you wonder how many more rights and how much more privacy Americans are going to give up...In an era when virtually unlimited storage and truly unlimited access is available on the entire planet, what a silly, useless thing to do.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:29 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Flash drives as a class are a huge risk. Easily lost or dropped down elevator shafts or sidewalk grates. Sensitive data belong in one place only -- behind a well-maintained firewall.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Flash drives as a class are a huge risk. Easily lost or dropped down elevator shafts or sidewalk grates. Sensitive data belong in one place only -- behind a well-maintained firewall.
I agree but if I travel out of the country I am not going to have the government snooping on my computer and seeing anything I do not want them to see. So when I come back in, all my info goes on flashdrive. They can look at an empty hard drive. Or maybe I will leave an illegal copy of a Michael Moore film on it so they can be entertained. And then, when they give it back I will have the drive wiped out completely to get Magic Lantern off it before I put anything back on it.

Old 08-02-2008, 02:49 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post

Wow, you took a major leap there. They own intellectual property rights now? Where does it state that? It says they can search your data and if... (read section D) they find probable cause within that data, they can then seize the information for further purposes as necessary for an undetermined amount of time.

Where does it say they can steal company intellectual property and then own the rights on it? Seriously, maybe you can point that out to me because I see that nowhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies