Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 06:15 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,686 times

Advertisements

I notice a lot of right wingers on this board obsess over Cosby's eight-year old comments about poor blacks and run with them, well Bill let's EVERYONE have it. He let's EVERYONE know how he truly feels. I wonder if these comments will put down the love affair many of you have with him!

Bill Cosby Compares Today's Republicans to Racist Segregationists | Your Black World

"Last week the Supreme Court began hearing oral arguments on whether Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act was still needed in America, or whether we’re now in a post-racial society. On Monday morning’s episode of Starting Point on CNN, comedian and actor Bill Cosby pointed out that racism today is not that different from racism in the 1960′s."

"To see people sitting down when there are others standing and cheering. I think we have people sitting there who are as bad as the people who were against any kind of desegregation. And then in place of a better America, they want their own sick feelings put across, and it’s — it isn’t — it isn’t a good time, but I think, also on our part as professors and presidents of colleges all over, and in public schools, we need to get the education of the correct history that happened so people can say, ‘Yes, this really did happen."

Old 03-05-2013, 06:28 PM

3,448 posts, read 3,132,726 times
maybe he should write a book

Last edited by stargazzer; 03-05-2013 at 06:41 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 07:04 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,244 times
I am sure their heads are about to explode.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:09 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
I am sure their heads are about to explode.
What heads, those things dissappeared up their backsides long long ago.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:15 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
I notice a lot of right wingers on this board obsess over Cosby's eight-year old comments about poor blacks and run with them, well Bill let's EVERYONE have it. He let's EVERYONE know how he truly feels. I wonder if these comments will put down the love affair many of you have with him!

Bill Cosby Compares Today's Republicans to Racist Segregationists | Your Black World

"Last week the Supreme Court began hearing oral arguments on whether Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act was still needed in America, or whether we’re now in a post-racial society. On Monday morning’s episode of Starting Point on CNN, comedian and actor Bill Cosby pointed out that racism today is not that different from racism in the 1960′s."

"To see people sitting down when there are others standing and cheering. I think we have people sitting there who are as bad as the people who were against any kind of desegregation. And then in place of a better America, they want their own sick feelings put across, and it’s — it isn’t — it isn’t a good time, but I think, also on our part as professors and presidents of colleges all over, and in public schools, we need to get the education of the correct history that happened so people can say, ‘Yes, this really did happen."
So not cheering for Obama is racist? Oh well it's his opinion. Doesn't take away from his "pound Cake" speech.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:20 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post

Uh, no.

The article says that Cosby compared today's Republicans to 1960s racists. Cosby did not do that.

Cosby said that people who sat while others stood indicate that racism still exists. He then said racism today can be as bad as it was then.

The Republicans today = racists in 1960s was the article itself, not Cosby.

And an article at Your Black World taking something Cosby said and making it anti-Republican when blacks voted for Obama at over 95% isn't exactly surprising.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:24 PM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
That's the problem with conservatives gleefully quoting any black man that says something that they agree with. They jump on the guy's bandwagon, point their fingers and say "see, see, he's agrees with us!!!"

Everybody publicly says things for a reason, whether it's Allen West, or Bill Cosby, or the doc at the prayer breakfast or the head of the Black Chamber of Commerce. They may say something because they have political aspirations, or because they're a famous entertainer and are under the illusion that people really care what they think re: other things aside from comedy, or they may say something because they really believe it and desperately want to see change.

Jumping on anybody's bandwagon without hearing them out over the long term and understanding the "why" behind what they say is just a fools game.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:31 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Cosby
I think we have people sitting there who are as bad as the people who were against any kind of desegregation. And then in place of a better America, they want their own sick feelings put across, and it’s — it isn’t — it isn’t a good time, but I think, also on our part as professors and presidents of colleges all over, and in public schools, we need to get the education of the correct history that happened so people can say, ‘Yes, this really did happen.’
Completely incoherent. Hopefully he will snap out of it and clarify his comments.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,262,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Uh, no.

The article says that Cosby compared today's Republicans to 1960s racists. Cosby did not do that.

Cosby said that people who sat while others stood indicate that racism still exists. He then said racism today can be as bad as it was then.

The Republicans today = racists in 1960s was the article itself, not Cosby.

And an article at Your Black World taking something Cosby said and making it anti-Republican when blacks voted for Obama at over 95% isn't exactly surprising.
Cosby compared the Republicans that didn't stand during the SOTU speech to anti segregationists.

“I read about you, at the same time the fight for rights in the South was going on,” she said, to Cosby, “you were on the verge of winning an Emmy award. First black man – in 1966 you would win an Emmy award. And the show, I Spy, was banned in the South.”

“Just a couple of stations,” Cosby replied, then turned to Congressman Mack, who had said something inaudible. “What did you say?

“It’s just hard to believe,” Rep. Connie Mack, joined by wife and fellow former Rep. Mary Bono Mack (R-CA), said. “It’s unbelievable.”

“I don’t think so,” Cosby shot back. “Not when you look at the President’s speech recently.”
Referring to President Obama‘s State of the Union Address, Cosby continued, “To see people sitting down when there are others standing and cheering. I think we have people sitting there who are as bad as the people who were against any kind of desegregation. And then in place of a better America, they want their own sick feelings put across, and it’s — it isn’t — it isn’t a good time, but I think, also on our part as professors and presidents of colleges all over, and in public schools, we need to get the education of the correct history that happened so people can say, ‘Yes, this really did happen.’”

Bill Cosby Slams Republicans Who Sat Through SOTU: As Bad As Civil Rights-Era Segregationists | Mediaite

Old 03-05-2013, 08:29 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Cosby compared the Republicans that didn't stand during the SOTU speech to anti segregationists.

“I read about you, at the same time the fight for rights in the South was going on,” she said, to Cosby, “you were on the verge of winning an Emmy award. First black man – in 1966 you would win an Emmy award. And the show, I Spy, was banned in the South.”

“Just a couple of stations,” Cosby replied, then turned to Congressman Mack, who had said something inaudible. “What did you say?

“It’s just hard to believe,” Rep. Connie Mack, joined by wife and fellow former Rep. Mary Bono Mack (R-CA), said. “It’s unbelievable.”

“I don’t think so,” Cosby shot back. “Not when you look at the President’s speech recently.”
Referring to President Obama‘s State of the Union Address, Cosby continued, “To see people sitting down when there are others standing and cheering. I think we have people sitting there who are as bad as the people who were against any kind of desegregation. And then in place of a better America, they want their own sick feelings put across, and it’s — it isn’t — it isn’t a good time, but I think, also on our part as professors and presidents of colleges all over, and in public schools, we need to get the education of the correct history that happened so people can say, ‘Yes, this really did happen.’”

Bill Cosby Slams Republicans Who Sat Through SOTU: As Bad As Civil Rights-Era Segregationists | Mediaite
Did he say that all the people sitting down were Republicans? No. Did he say that all the people sitting down were racists? No. Did he say the people sitting down were representative of Republicans? No.

So Cosby did not say Republicans today are as bad as racists in 1960.

Simply bolding what he said doesn't change it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies