Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does fast growing hispanic population worry you?
Yes 26 36.11%
No 46 63.89%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 02:23 PM

36,463 posts, read 30,806,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
Ok so after seeing US Census 2010 it is very clear thet white non hispanic population is shrinking... (well it isnt but its not growing as fast as latino or asian population). Does that fact worry you? How do you think it will shape the future for America? Will it become more liberal and open minded because of immigration or more conservative as most latinos are usually christian?

In many large cities non hispanic whites are already a minority eg; Houston is only 26% white non hispanic (although suburbs tend to be mostly white/ asian)
Los Angeles is 28% non hispanic white, Chicago 31% and Las Vegas 48% non hispanic white.

Do you see this as a good thing? do you mind it? Or maybe it is something that you would rather stop?

And this is not meant to be a racist thread or anything like that, I dont mind what race my neighbor would be as long as they were respectful.
Does it worry me? No, we are already lost to unchecked illegal immigration. IMO it will become more liberal.
I wonder if it worried the Native Americans when it was clear that the white population was growing and the native population was shrinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 03:09 PM

200 posts, read 273,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nashvols View Post
Oh, a real zinger right there!

I'm not going to debate with a 22-year-old that thinks they are smarter than the rest. It's cute, but not worth my time.
The fact is you can't debate so you resort to dismissing me based on the fact that I'm 22 years old. Cop out. I'd even bet at 22 years old growing up in the city of Chicago, from going to a school infested with gangs, sleeping on the floor because I couldn't afford a mattress, sleeping in the car due to my dad being laid off to being so poor that our dinner would be ONLY cold hot dogs fresh out of the bag to losing just about everything we own to foreclosure including childhood pictures and a lot of the rest of our stuff being stolen. I'd bet I've been through more and had more real life experience in my young years than you there Nashvols.

PS I've worked my ass off for everything I have. 7 days a week in all kinds of weather for crap pay getting pinched and stabbed by lobster daily carrying around 120 pound crates soaked head to toe in ocean water in the middle of winter. Those lobster could break your finger and possibly shatter your knuckle. Once counted about 50 cuts or slight stab wounds on my hands from dealing with so much lobster during the busy months. My hands would hurt so bad and get so dry I couldn't even extend them. I'd get so cold my fingers would start turning purple. So don't talk to me like I'm a kid. I'm a grown man.

Last edited by lobsta; 03-12-2013 at 03:45 PM..

Old 03-12-2013, 03:20 PM

30,966 posts, read 22,026,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoist123 View Post
How ignorant. Latinos aren't a race. They are an ethnicity. They come in white, black and everything in between. My mother is blond hair blue eyes and is Puerto Rican. Our Cuban friend is blue eyes, white skin, dirty blond hair. I could could go on. Literally shows the ignorance by you.

As for smells. I rather be with someone who reeks like oil and curry (again your ignorant and mostly untrue claims) than someone who is completely ignorant racist fool.
For sure!
"Latino" A very loose classification created and perpetuated in the US, based on a common language that you may or may not even speak.

According to stereotypes, anyone who is "Latino" Looks like J-Lo, speaks Spanish as their primary language and Salsa dances

Old 03-12-2013, 04:18 PM

209 posts, read 160,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You mean there is something reprehensible about the Chinese who think of Chinatown as "their neighborhood", and their cultural values would be better served if "they" (oops! insensitive racist slur) were dispersed? Do I get to think of the neighborhood I live in as "my neighborhood", where people demographically like me feel comfortable? I never thought of Mr. Rogers as a bad role model, clutching possession of "his" neighborhood and fomenting class strife and genocide.

They are. Every one of them. Trying as hard as they can. How easy to you think it is for an adult to learn a new language? Do you think they WANT to not know English?
I would have to disagress with this based on my experience. As far as speaking the English language is concern, hispanics tend to resist in learning English. Just eyeballing, based on my personal experience from grade school to high school, my hispanic friends, who were born and raised in the US, lagged behind in English reading and writing and comprehension. It's not a bad thing to hold on to their culture and language but at least make an effort to educate your child in English. English should be the primary language, not the other way around with Spanish being the primary language.

As an example, I've had Asian Indian friends and Chinese American friends and Korean American friends speak their parents native tongue and keep their culture as well, but had no trouble reading, writing and speaking proper English unlike my hispanic classmates. I even had one Chinese American classmate going to their Chinese school on the weekends to learn Mandarin but kept English as his primary language. The common bond with these classmates versus the hispanic classmates is that the parents were very involve in their child's education and made sure English was their primary language. I would hear their parents speak to them in mostly in English and with a few words in their native tongue unlike when I hear my hispanic friends speak to their parents in 100% Spanish.

One might argue that the hispanic parents didn't know much English. Well, the Korean or Chinese parents spoke in broken English as well but the key is they attempted to communicate with their child in mostly English. I think the key here is attempted and tried to communicate with their child in English. The end result was that the parents were being corrected by their child when they said something funny or incorrect or something that didn't make sense to their child, the end result is not only their child being fluent in English but they also learn English from their children. So it was a win win situation for everyone, their future as productive citizens commanding the English language, and also keeping their culture.
I'm sure it's not the same situation for all other hispanic families but that seems to be the general trend among hispanice families that I've encountered.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,380,678 times
I have absolutely no problem whatsoever concerning the legal immigration of those with college degrees and those seeking employment in the sciences.

Instead, however, we have become flooded with illegal immigrants that are uneducated and have brought disease into the U.S. causing outbreaks in the southwest. One of the worst of these is drug resistant tuberculosis.

It is not our responsibility nor our imperative to educate and inoculate those that are here illegally.
It is our responsibility to hunt down and remove those here by illegal means as swiftly and as efficiently as possible.

If we take off the politically correct gloves for a moment, I would then say that a way to drastically reduce the cost of deportation of illegals is to offer green cards to anyone willing to undergo sterilization.

If we look at this through the lens of IQ it would then be extremely vital to future citizenry that we pick and choose the best and the brightest but then again that would be against any sort of political one upmanship that apparently is more important than adding superior intellect thus ensuring dominence over this piece of solar driftwood.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:55 PM

30,966 posts, read 22,026,812 times
fast growing Hispanic population worry you?

Not really. Considering people of Spanish speaking descent marry out into the White population in huge percentages. I don't know why the forebearers language should come into play. The Bush's are a good example. They have quite a bit of Hispanic heritage in their family and it really isn't an issue.

Maybe this applies to some recent illegal immigrants, but not so much to people who happen to have Spanish speaking heritage in their family history who have been here forever.

It's another stereotype that the press and politicians love to propagate.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:33 PM

268 posts, read 948,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm white and somewhat worried about it. Certain Latino groups have brought nothing but problems to certain inner cities in the Northeast. Many cities such as Hartford, New Haven, Bridgeport, Providence, Worcester, Springfield, etc., used to have lower crime rates, reasonable cleanliness and better school systems. That was 30 years ago, when these cities were mostly white. Now, these states have passed extremely liberal welfare laws, which as attracted Puerto Ricans to move to those cities. And what came along with it was crime, worsened school systems, and now these cities look like they're from a third world country in some areas. It's sad. I don't blame the Puerto Ricans though. I blame the politicians who passed extremely generous welfare policies. Even when you look at cities that are majority white population, the crime rate is considerably lower, there's less litter and trash on the streets, and the houses are in better shape. So, I believe there are cultural differences. With that said, there are some Puerto Ricans here that lead professional lives and contribute to society instead of leeching. They don't even want to associate with the inner city ones. It's kind of like myself....as a gay man...not wanting to associate with the gays that you see in gay pride parades, dressed like women and doing crazy dances.

The most advanced societies of the world have been built by white or Asian people. When you look at societies built by Latino or black people, they are just way behind the times and have much more corruption and crime. It's true.

In any case, it is my personal choice to have sexual relations with white men only, as I find certain other cultures to be dirty, smelly and uneducated. Personal choice!
To much information dude, TOOOO MUCH INFORMATION

Old 03-12-2013, 08:15 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
In any case, it is my personal choice to have sexual relations with white men only, as I find certain other cultures to be dirty, smelly and uneducated. Personal choice!
I am also white, and I am ashamed to live in the same state as you. Disgusting.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,658,365 times
Race-wise no problem but are too many immigrants coming in do not have any real love or appreciation of the USA as far as the Constituion and will come right out and say that they intend to make the USA into another Spanish speaking country just like the one they left -- only of course with food stamps and free health care. They consider it "reconquista". The other problem is that they tend to have many children they cannot afford, couldn't afford back home and cannot afford here.

Old 03-12-2013, 10:43 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,629,231 times
Nothing warms my heart more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies