Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does fast growing hispanic population worry you?
Yes 26 36.11%
No 46 63.89%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 09:25 AM

1,137 posts, read 972,037 times

Advertisements

The United States will rapidly descend into a 3rd world nation, and in parts of it, the evidence is already obvious.

With the growing hispanic population, there will be more crime, lower property values, less emphasis on getting an education, etc etc etc.

I actually feel guilty for having kids in this country that within a generation or 2 will look nothing like the great country it once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 09:26 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Then you are a part of the problem if you are ok with a demographic shift and dilution of our national language via ILLEGAL immigration. Don't our immigration laws and the enforcement of them mean anything to you?
I'm part of the problem! I'm part of the problem!!! Yay!!!! Y ahora, me voy de baile!

Old 03-13-2013, 09:27 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post
The United States will rapidly descend into a 3rd world nation, and in parts of it, the evidence is already obvious.

With the growing hispanic population, there will be more crime, lower property values, less emphasis on getting an education, etc etc etc.

I actually feel guilty for having kids in this country that within a generation or 2 will look nothing like the great country it once was.
So tax cuts for the rich?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,094,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Right..you go to their country then you speak their language. To expect them to speak or learn English is a bit presumptuous. Same hold true if you emigrate; you are expected to learn their language.
Yet that is not the case here.
I'm sure the fact that you're in Texas and it's origins, how ironic your quote is. And English has NEVER been the majority language of the United States. Even in it's origins. There was French, Spanish, Portuguese spoken just as fluently before the colonies were even completely organized here in the "New World".

But the fact that someone from/residing in Texas talking about immigration to a new country & languages is quite amusing.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:28 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Because everything south of our border is done in Spanish. It is an important language for all to learn (if you live in the border states) for the same reason it is important for Mexicans to learn English. I know some Mexicans don't want to learn English, but that is their bad as well. Most Mexicans do want to learn and make efforts to do so. Just because they revert back to their native tongue when they are around each other or in their neighborhoods, doesn't mean they aren't learning English. I've vacationed in South Padre Island and it is so close to Mexico that you can almost throw a rock and hit it. You have got to expect a very large Spanish speaking population. Even in France, if you go to Strasbourg, you find a strong German speaking population. It was part of Germany a while back - it is to be expected. In the major cities (San Fran, NYC) you have Chinatown, Little Italy, etc. they will still have things in their native tongues as well. This is all part-n-parcel of the USA.
Should we also learn French just because Canada borders us to the north and they have a French speaking community there? Why should the citizens of any country be forced to learn a foreign language to survive in their own country? No one is saying that Hispanics/Mexicans aren't learning English. It is just that they don't want to speak it unless they have to so they are being pandered to.

What jobs require you to know Chinese, Italian, German etc. in this country nationwide? They don't, it is only Spanish and directly due to illegal immigration not just because Mexico is our southern neighbor.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mashed Potatoes View Post

The rather affluent Spanish neighborhood I lived at had no such thing.
In South Florida, Doctors, Teachers, Lawyers, are Hispanic. They have large families, and they send their kids to top schools.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:29 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Our "pressing 2" on the phone or having to choose english when using the ATM, etc, just makes it easier for illegals to blend in with everyone else. Our society has allowed this to happen. I have traveled over sees before and found it difficult to not learn the other language if I had been there for any amount of time and wanted to make a living. In that sort of environment I think it is a deterrent for those looking to blend in. Unfortunately we make it possible in the US.

We make it possible in the US to get along without knowing english as much as we make it possible for those that dont work to get through life and in many cases those not working are those not speaking english yet we still provide for them.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
I'm sure the fact that you're in Texas and it's origins, how ironic your quote is. And English has NEVER been the majority language of the United States. Even in it's origins. There was French, Spanish, Portuguese spoken just as fluently before the colonies were even completely organized here in the "New World".

But the fact that someone from/residing in Texas talking about immigration to a new country & languages is quite amusing.
Well I disagree. All of our Fed documents were written in English and still are.
And what about previous colonizers ? They came and they left.

We evolved to what we are today. To compare today to before the "New World" is rather silly.

Mexico is no global powerhouse and Spanish is not the language of business.
If the US is to stay globally competitive then people need to learn English.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:33 AM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I completely agree with everything you have typed. English is the language of commerce worldwide. This includes Texas - for the most part. But, there are plenty of people in the world that don't speak English and if we want to do business, we learn their languages in order to do so. It is better than waiting for them to learn English. I'm just saying that learning Spanish is a smart thing to do because we will be waiting a very long time if we are waiting for anyone to learn one of the hardest languages on the planet.
Nonsense! There was no sense of urgency to learn Spanish a few decades ago and that is because we didn't have near the illegal immigration problem that we have today. Unless you going to have the type of job working with foreigners in a foreign country there is no reason to learn another language unless you want to. If you don't use it, you lose it. Should our kids have to learn Spanish to work at McDonalds? No, because it is an American based business.

Funny, how the early immigrants spoke German, Italian, Polish, etc. but they all learned English and for the most part they spoke it out in public while Hispanics/Mexicans are too handicapped to do so?

Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Then you are a part of the problem if you are ok with a demographic shift and dilution of our national language via ILLEGAL immigration. Don't our immigration laws and the enforcement of them mean anything to you?
Quote:
You completely miss the point. This is an English speaking country. Therefore "immigrants" (and I use that term loosely here) should be adapting to our language not the other way around. If they can't cut it and learn our language then leave for God's sake! If you have no intention of doing so then don't come here in the first place.
No official language is mentioned or contemplated in the Constitution.

Many assume English is the official language in the U.S. and yet the U.S. has no official language despite that some one or another proposes an amendment to make English the official language in every Congressional session.

Several states have enacted English as the official language legislation:

English-only movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies