Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does fast growing hispanic population worry you?
Yes 26 36.11%
No 46 63.89%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 06:31 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,755,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The most advanced societies of the world have been built by white or Asian people. When you look at societies built by Latino or black people, they are just way behind the times and have much more corruption and crime. It's true.
While your statement about the most advanced societies being Eurasian is true, it has nothing to do with the peoples themselves and almost everything to do with 5 major factors:

1. Types of cereal crops that can be grown and domesticated
2. Types of pack animals available to be domesticated
3. Climate Zones
4. Geography (East-West movement is much easier then North-South movements)
5. Isolation to other groups

There is no intelligence difference between humans of different races. We are all very, very similar. I could go on and on about the reasons why Eurasia developed differently and quicker then the rest of the world and none of it would mention a difference in the peoples. I just read a great book about this called Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond. The author gives a pretty good case for the differences in "civilized development" around the world.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-15-2013 at 04:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 07:24 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Not in the slightest. I grew up in the LA area, lived in Chicago and Dallas for extended periods as well. All of those have massive Hispanic communities. I can't ever remember not being exposed to large amounts of Hispanics.

Now I live in an area of a suburb of Dallas that's about half white 40% Asian and 10% Hispanic or Black. The white concentration in this area was 80% in 2000 and in the next 10 years could easily be 70% Asian. I don't care any more or less.

I like diversity. I wouldn't go live on the west side of Dallas, the Southwest side of Chicago, East LA, or East Houston because those areas are almost completely Hispanic. But I also wouldn't want to live in a place like Southlake or The Woodlands, TX that's almost completely white either.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:55 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Question to Americans; Does fast growing Hispanic population worry you?

No.

The only population segment that worries me is the growth in the number of Stupid People.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:00 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times
Diversity doesn't mean having less white people. Diversity means having ALL types of people. For example, Miami, FL is not diverse enough at all, because the population there is 70% Latino. There's barely any white or Asian people there.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:05 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Title is Does fast growing Hispanic population worry you.

not

Does fast growing Immigrant population worry you.
They're smelly, lower-class, don't speak English, don't look like us, have low IQs, are culturally inferior, breed like rabbits, take jobs away from "real" Americans, and will never fit into mainstream society.

This was said about Italian and Jewish people in America in the early 20th century.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:24 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
The most advanced societies of the world have been built by white or Asian people. When you look at societies built by Latino or black people, they are just way behind the times and have much more corruption and crime. It's true.
Please tell me this is a joke. PLEASE.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-15-2013 at 04:57 AM.. Reason: response to deletion

Old 03-08-2013, 09:02 AM

281 posts, read 750,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
Please tell me this is a joke. PLEASE.
No, it is a serious situation.

How has the increasing Hispanic Population helped places like California, Arizona and Nevada? Every metric used to determine quality of life and economic vitality has gone down in those US States since the explosion of Hispanic immigration.

On a personal basis many Hispanics (or Latinos as they like to be called because it makes them sound sexier), are just fine, but in general the increase in the population of Hispanics have hurt our country because- legal or illegal- America is just importing poverty.

What percent of US Hispanics graduate from High School, College, are STEM workers, or business leaders starting companies? We are importing poverty by allowing uneducated Hispanics come to America simply because they have family here already. Our immigration should be based on skills not just family reunification to support the Hispanic Lobby Groups.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:08 AM

3,715 posts, read 5,266,588 times
I think America is lucky to get hispanic immigrants anyway, unlike Europe getting Muslims that creates huge cultural problems and a lot more intolerance

Old 03-08-2013, 09:15 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,382,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
This may not be true much longer. Birth rates for Latina women are decreasing as Hispanics become more assimilated, educated, and affluent. They are predicted to be about the same as for non Hispanic white women not far in the future.
Poor economy slows Hispanic baby boom
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/01/he...nics.html?_r=0

Birthrates have fallen by 17.1% for Mexican-American women since 2007.
In a bad economy, its really hard to afford children when you can barely afford rent and food yourself. Plus, in a stunning development that doesn't fit most people's media perceptions, Latinas in general are becoming way more educated (even more so than their male counterparts) and are holding off on having a family until their careers are more established.

It also helps that birthrates in Latin America itself have fallen to around replacement level (source: Birth rate; crude (per 1;000 people) in Latin America and Caribbean) as those areas become more industrialized and enter the middle class, so immigrants who are coming from that region are increasingly entering with the same mindset of having less kids.

I guess after growing up in California, it doesn't seem that big of a thing anymore. Maybe back in the 80s and 90s it was, but now its just sort of a fact of life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrix542 View Post
I think America is lucky to get hispanic immigrants anyway, unlike Europe getting Muslims that creates huge cultural problems and a lot more intolerance
As someone who's Muslim, intolerance goes both ways. Getting a bunch of poor X (of anything) going into a mostly rich Y will always create problems, but reality is both sides need each other to exist. In Europe, where multiculturalism is really a phenomenon of the last 40 years after having wars predicated on nationalism, it's all new to them. America's population growth has never really been based on solely natural growth, so we're a bit more accustomed to getting large masses of people to come here, though the change has been of where the people have been coming from since 1965.

The immigrants could be Muslim or they could be Polish (Why Poles love coming to Britain - Telegraph) but there will still be problems among the native population in Europe. "Integration" is a hard thing to measure if you don't really define what integration is supposed to look like.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:21 AM

281 posts, read 750,480 times
Here is some academic perspectives on the impact of Hispanics in America:

Hispanics in America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies