Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does fast growing hispanic population worry you?
Yes 26 36.11%
No 46 63.89%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:39 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,203,193 times

Advertisements

Some people dont seem to know that our immigration laws were made for good reasons.You NEVER hear the illegal lovers talking about this do we? Every illegal that is here is one more reason we are becoming a third world country....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,648,464 times
I do slightly, everyone is a little worried about change.

I also worry about the stigma of white man is always wrong and evil, of what will happen when they are the minority? Will they be discriminated?

Old 03-21-2013, 09:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Too many from one ethnic group/nationality does alter our demographics, culture and language.
I think this is key. America is about constantly evolving ethnic demographics, culture and language and we should do our best to keep that striving. But we need to do it in a well-orchestrated manner without illegal immigrants. Frankly we should allow in all the best educated and wealthy people from other countries. It's great for our nation. We bring in quality people and additional diversity at the same time. win/win.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:51 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
I don't think today's Hispanics are yesterday's Irish. I don't think they will ever reach the degree of assimilation that the Irish did. Never the less, I like them being here. I think Hispanics bring a lot of enrichment to America.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:06 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
I don't think today's Hispanics are yesterday's Irish. I don't think they will ever reach the degree of assimilation that the Irish did. Never the less, I like them being here. I think Hispanics bring a lot of enrichment to America.
Anyone does. The key is "in moderation" not just a free for all. I believe the idea behind the quota system was that no one immigrant group should overwhelm the country effectively taking it over without a shot being fired.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
And the reason their assimilation doesn't equate to the past immigrants is because so many Hispanics are here illegally and they also hold the highest quotas for legal immigration and family reunification catagories. They are colonizing rather than assimilatiing. That isn't diversity nor does it fit the melting pot concept. They also have a tribal mentality which is proven by their advocacy for their illegal brethern here. How is that enriching our nation?

Last edited by Oldglory; 03-22-2013 at 07:20 AM..

Old 03-22-2013, 07:19 AM

62,930 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I think this is key. America is about constantly evolving ethnic demographics, culture and language and we should do our best to keep that striving. But we need to do it in a well-orchestrated manner without illegal immigrants. Frankly we should allow in all the best educated and wealthy people from other countries. It's great for our nation. We bring in quality people and additional diversity at the same time. win/win.
Thanks, you're a voice of reason in here. Our country has always been about diversity aka the melting pot but that is all changing now. We are slowly losing our national identity as a nation via illegal immigration from mostly one ethnic group. Most are the poor, unskilled and uneducated who are adamant about retaining their culture and language out in mainstream America. I don't care what culture or language one chooses to practice at home but out in mainstream America blend in with the rest of our society. Above all a growing demographic that has no respect for our immigration laws and puts their ethnic group above them do not make good Americans.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Anyone does. The key is "in moderation" not just a free for all. I believe the idea behind the quota system was that no one immigrant group should overwhelm the country effectively taking it over without a shot being fired.

No..There are all types of people on this Earth that I would prefer to stay out of America (Muslims types, for instance).

Hispanics are not trying to take over anything. And you are talking to someone from South Florida, one of the most Hispanic areas of the country. The recent arrivals hang on to ties at home and the children don't.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:19 PM

Quote:
And the reason their assimilation doesn't equate to the past immigrants is because so many Hispanics are here illegally and they also hold the highest quotas for legal immigration and family reunification catagories. They are colonizing rather than assimilatiing. That isn't diversity nor does it fit the melting pot concept. They also have a tribal mentality which is proven by their advocacy for their illegal brethern here. How is that enriching our nation?
Personally, I find hispanics to be hard working and humble people. I increasingly have this mind set as I get older. I think they could do more to put their kids in college, but I think that will come with time.

As for enriching our nation, I just find the cultures throughout Latin America to be very pleasant. Maybe its the drama and romance that you can see so easily on their soap operas, or the food, or the tequila and good beers. lol. I just can't quite think of anything about Latin American culture that I don't like.

I used to not like Hispanics because they would pick on me at school growing up. Being the only blonde blue-eyed kid in classes full of Hispanics wasn't easy at times. As an adult though, not only do these people not bully me, but I even think they revere me at times. lol. I don't know where I would be without all the fulfilling relationships (friendship and more) that I have had with these people.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:23 PM

Quote:
I actually don't think it is because of anything related to illegal immigration. Race will always prove to be a divider between whites and Hispanics.

In the past, a third generation Irish American and third generation German American basically weren't different at all from one another. Third, fourth, and fifth generation Hispanic Americans will still have the racial divide between themselves and whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies