Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,005,733 times

Advertisements

Line up and get your freebies............

"More than 20,000 college-bound students are seeking state financial aid for the first time under California’s new Dream Act laws that allow them to get the help despite their immigration status."

California Dream Act: 20,000 illegal immigrant students apply for state financial aid for the first time - ContraCostaTimes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 09:59 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

"More than 20,000 college-bound students are seeking state financial aid for the first time under California’s new Dream Act laws that allow them to get the help despite their immigration status."

California Dream Act: 20,000 illegal immigrant students apply for state financial aid for the first time - ContraCostaTimes.com
When California does something they do it right, including bankruptcy

The next bubble to burst will be the student loans bubble. It has surpassed credit card debt.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:10 AM

How can that be? When the feds took over the student loans they claimed they would save 60 billion dollars over the next ten years. LOL

Old 03-08-2013, 11:11 AM

6,262 posts, read 5,070,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post

We legally moved here from Canada a number of years ago. Although the immigration process was not finalized when we move down here, we paid the extra money and filed the extra forms so that we could legally move here and complete the process in the United States. The boys could go to school, and I filed even more forms and paid even more money so that I could legally work here.

My oldest son was in middle school at the time. He completed middle school, graduated high school, and then spent two years commuting to a college in the next state. We lived in a border town so received in-state tuition. By the time he was a junior in high school, we filed more papers and sent in more money so that HE could also legally work while waiting to get his green card.

After two years as an Undeclared, he decided on a major and transferred to a college back in our home state. That's where things went off the rails. My immigration process was complete by then, but because of paperwork mishandling, my sons slipped through the cracks and were still waiting for their green cards. This college wanted to charge him international tuition rates, which were much higher.

By this time my son had lived in the country literally for years. He had graduated from middle school and high school, had spent two years in college, had his drivers liscense, was registered for selective service, had worked and filed his taxes. And yet the college (located 45 minutes from where he lived) wanted to charge him international tuition rates.

I fought with the college for two months to no avail, and then in frustration finally fired off emails to senators in our state (TN) explaining the whole deal. The first did nothing. The second one did something and dealt with it for us, and we were extremely grateful. We weren't rich or well connected so I have no idea why a senator (actually one of his aides) stood up for us and got it sorted out, but thankfully he did. He is the only politician I have witnessed first hand (before or since) that actually did something positive for a rank and file citizen.

After all that my point is this - my family did it all legally (the form filing, the moving, the paying, the finger printing, the interviewing, the medicals, all of it), and every time I read crap like this I am angry. Every time.

Last edited by juneaubound; 03-08-2013 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: Can't spell for sh*t

Old 03-08-2013, 11:25 AM

It is all for votes so the politicians don't really care what happens or who is effected. Heck when all is said and done the ones here illegaly will probably be stamped legal and the folks who are in the middle of the process will be forced to finish and be sitting there wondering what the hell happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies