Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:56 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
You are right, they did serve a purpose at one point, and a good one. But we have laws in place now. They do nothing more than take advantage of things at this point. And as seen here, they try to ruin peoples lives.
They never served a good purpose.

Labor unions started in the U.S. to keep blacks and Asians from taking white jobs. With few exceptions.

That's the only goal of unions. To keep the labor pool small to create demand for their members.

They keep the unemployment rate high to lower the rate of pay for non-unin shops.

That's the union goal. High unemployment and low pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post

This country's tax money and educational system and kids futures should be saved and served right, and the public teacher and school system should be done away with. Quit playing games with education.
They should fire these union thugs and hire people that want to do the job.

Unions get legal protection to deny labor to an employer and the employer can't do a damn thing about it.

Unions get special rights at the expense of an employers right.

What a scam. I can't believe anyone would support these thugs.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:21 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
They never served a good purpose.

Labor unions started in the U.S. to keep blacks and Asians from taking white jobs. With few exceptions.

That's the only goal of unions. To keep the labor pool small to create demand for their members.

They keep the unemployment rate high to lower the rate of pay for non-unin shops.

That's the union goal. High unemployment and low pay.
That is just not true. The union was formed to represent workers who worked 12 hour days with hardly any pay. These workers had no rights until the union helped them stand up for themselves and demand the rights they deserved.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
That is just not true. The union was formed to represent workers who worked 12 hour days with hardly any pay. These workers had no rights until the union helped them stand up for themselves and demand the rights they deserved.
According to United States Census data real wages for manufacturing rose 50% from 1865-1890 and another 34% from 1891-1914. The workforce had less than 3% union members at the time.

This was before the government had all these silly workplace laws. Before unions had any power or signifcant membership.

You'll also find child labor was dropping rapidly and worker hours leveled out at about 40 hours a week.

Who are you going to believe? A data collection agency that is impartial and collected said data at the time or what unions tell you in 2013?

Though there were some companies that didn't treat employees well, so many were that competition for labor forced the bad companies to change practices or go out of business for lack of employees.

I'll remind you the labor unions had no legal power until the 1930s. Decades after capitalism had solved these problems.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Really, I see just the opposite. It's the nonunion members that are whining about what union members make. I think you guys are just jealous because no one is looking out for you in the work place
If non-union workers were jealous of union wages then they would form a union.

And, contrary to popular belief, employers are not out to screw over employees. No need for some union dope to look out for us.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:54 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
According to United States Census data real wages for manufacturing rose 50% from 1865-1890 and another 34% from 1891-1914. The workforce had less than 3% union members at the time.

This was before the government had all these silly workplace laws. Before unions had any power or signifcant membership.

You'll also find child labor was dropping rapidly and worker hours leveled out at about 40 hours a week.

Who are you going to believe? A data collection agency that is impartial or what unions tell you?

Though there were some companies that didn't treat employees well, so many were that competition for labor forced the bad companies to change practices or go out of business for lack of employees.

I'll remind you the labor unions had no legal power until the 1930s. Decades after capitalism had solved these problems.

Silly workplace laws??? You can't be serious. Unions were formed by the little people who wanted a voice and not to be taken advantage of. And what does a data collection have to do with this. You only have to know your history to know all of this.

Old 03-08-2013, 09:59 PM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
If non-union workers were jealous of union wages then they would form a union.

And, contrary to popular belief, employers are not out to screw over employees. No need for some union dope to look out for us.
You have to be qualified to get into the union. Good luck with that. Jealousy is most of what I see from non-union scabs.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Silly workplace laws??? You can't be serious. Unions were formed by the little people who wanted a voice and not to be taken advantage of. And what does a data collection have to do with this. You only have to know your history to know all of this.
data collection shows that employees were getting wage increases and working less hours BEFORE unions. It also shows that child labor was thing of the past BEFORE unions.

You are repeating history that was rewritten by unions and cannot be verified because it's a lie.

I'm repeating what was actually happeneing and can be verified because it's fact.

When I say "silly" I'm referring laws like the 40 hour work week. Why pass a law requiring people to do something they are already doing??????

Typical of government. "Fix" a problem that capitalism already took care of.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:01 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times
Quote:
Really, I see just the opposite. It's the nonunion members that are whining about what union members make. I think you guys are just jealous because no one is looking out for you in the work place
Yeah besides myself, the DOT, the NTSB, OSHA, the FDA and of course the local and state police... aside from that my employer could literally force me to work in unsafe conditions with no worry whatsoever.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:02 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,035,382 times
Regardless of what you think Unions have done, you are flat out wrong and indecent to approve of these types of things they engage in, time after time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies