Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 12:30 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,391,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I actually couldn't agree more... LOL, I really mean it.

I don't give a rip what people do in their bedrooms, I don't give a rip about religion and other issues of that nature.

Run the damn country in a fiscally conservative way and leave my sex life alone.

Let the gays get married, or whatever socially liberal policies people may have.

Just keep your mitts out of my wallet.

Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 12:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,179,232 times
This is why we need to legalize gay marriage so we can get back to voting on issues that effect the well-being of the nation.

Most people under 30 see gay marriage as their defining generational issue. Until it's legalized, no other issues will be taken into consideration.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:42 PM

21,385 posts, read 10,427,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This is why we need to legalize gay marriage so we can get back to voting on issues that effect the well-being of the nation.

Most people under 30 see gay marriage as their defining generational issue. Until it's legalized, no other issues will be taken into consideration.

But what about parental rights? What about Social Security benefits? There are other consequences of gay marriage that isn't talked about enough. In France they've tried to eliminate mother and father from the forms and call them parent 1 and parent 2, leaving the door open for a parent 3 or even a parent 4. Considering that babies are made by one man and one woman, this makes no sense. Does that mean that if a pregnant woman leaves her husband to marry a woman, then the woman will have parental rights to that man's child? These are issues worth thinking about.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 PM

51,847 posts, read 52,235,316 times
Quote:

Well, I don't wanna steer this thread too far away, but if you believe, like I believe, that you are just simply born gay, then gays aren't getting full treatment under the law.

I mean it's simply a logic issue at this point, leave the politics of religion out of it.

Black people were/are born black, they had to fight for their basic civil rights, why is it that gays are denied the right to get married, minorities aren't, they were born minority, gays were born gay...

IDK, maybe I'm looking at it wrong.....

Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 PM

44,878 posts, read 59,846,876 times
Quote:

Which implies something really pathetic about that generation.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Well, I don't wanna steer this thread too far away, but if you believe, like I believe, that you are just simply born gay, then gays aren't getting full treatment under the law.

I mean it's simply a logic issue at this point, leave the politics of religion out of it.

Black people were/are born black, they had to fight for their basic civil rights, why is it that gays are denied the right to get married, minorities aren't, they were born minority, gays were born gay...

IDK, maybe I'm looking at it wrong.....
I am not arguing that gays shouldn't be allowed to get married. What is mind boggling though as the 18-29 voting bracket is so passionate about it they will vote away their economic future at the prospect of legalizing gay marriage. It's probably the biggest issue in the country right now during election season but it truly effects the least amount of people. It's about priority, and gay marriage is an issue that will probably ultimately be decided by the courts so who we elect has very little impact on it other than lip-service.

Once again, I am not saying gays shouldn't be allowed to get married. I am speaking more about people who voted for Obama because of that issue alone without actually considering other issues.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 PM

51,847 posts, read 52,235,316 times
Quote:
I am not arguing that gays shouldn't be allowed to get married. What is mind boggling though as the 18-29 voting bracket is so passionate about it they will vote away their economic future at the prospect of legalizing gay marriage. It's probably the biggest issue in the country right now during election season but it truly effects the least amount of people. It's about priority, and gay marriage is an issue that will probably ultimately be decided by the courts so who we elect has very little impact on it other than lip-service.

Once again, I am not saying gays shouldn't be allowed to get married. I am speaking more about people who voted for Obama because of that issue alone without actually considering other issues.
I agree, there are much bigger fish to fry in terms of getting things under control, as far as I'm concerned, let the courts deal with the gay marriage issue.....

Old 03-09-2013, 01:14 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,631,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
The spin on the left about the Republicans is unbelievable. The GOP just wants to end the abuse of our welfare system not to end it entirely

If the GOP doesn't want the minimum wage raised isn't it possible because it might reverse the desired affect? How about a link to your assertions anyway?

So to want not unemployment and welfare to be an eternal way of life is a bad thing?

The Democrats just want to keep Americans dependant on the government rather than working and that's a good thing?

A group of republican politicians in Washington, are talking about expanding the republican base. They are planning to try to get more votes, from poor and middle class Americans. You are literally taking their lead, and campaigning to get poor and middle class voters to join the republican party.

Are you having any luck?
Have you brought any low income voters into the republican party?

Any person with 1/2 of a brain knows that republicans only (truly) want this,
Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress

Old 03-09-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
A group of republican politicians in Washington, are talking about expanding the republican base. They are planning to try to get more votes, from poor and middle class Americans. You are literally taking their lead, and campaigning to get poor and middle class voters to join the republican party.

Are you having any luck?
Have you brought any low income voters into the republican party?

Any person with 1/2 of a brain knows that republicans only (truly) want this,
Romney's Economic Plan Includes $6.6 Trillion Tax Cut For The Rich And Corporations | ThinkProgress
Poor whites in most of the nation did vote Republican with the exception of New England and the Pacific Northwest.

The problem for Republicans is not income-based but race based. Many African-Americans and Hispanics align with the family values wing of the Republican party but they see the Democrats are more aligned with their economic interests. The racist element in the Republican party, mostly in the Southern states, also turns off many potential minority voters.

There is also a lot of misconceptions out there about Republicans and their desire for tax cuts for the rich. Romney did not propose giving the wealthy additional tax cuts, but Obama successfully convinced America that was his position because he didn't want to RAISE tax rates on the wealthy. Romney was even supportive of closing loopholes so it was likely even the wealthy would be paying higher taxes under Romney than under Bush.

This biggest problem for Republicans right now is they lack an eloquent orator like Obama and the mainstream media is 100% in the tank for the Democrats. Fox News is not the "mainstream" media but more in the realm of talk radio, so don't give that as an example of conservative-leaning mainstream media.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:41 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,075,437 times
I do have to give credit to Kansas' libertarian-leaning Repubs. They shut down in comittee a rather draconian bill on strip club regulations that the more socially conservative Repubs were pushing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies