Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 02:35 PM

270 posts, read 838,279 times

Advertisements

Hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers: I'm doing research for real estate investment purposes and notice that many of the lower priced cities I'm looking into have a very large population, sometimes a majority, of blacks. Examples: Dayton OH, Memphis TN, Atlanta GA, Jacksonville FL, Rochester NY. I'm from California, so I've never seen an area that has more than 20% blacks outside of Compton, and Compton is not the major city in the area.

Anyone know why black majority areas are often so cheaply valued? I understand that white flight has something to do with it, but would seem to me that if jobs disappear, blacks would also move? thanks for any insight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2013, 02:42 PM

6,662 posts, read 13,332,110 times
I don't think that there's necessarily a correlation between the black population and the lower prices in a lot of the places you mentioned. There are quite a few other factors...and some comparable valued high white% cities nearby or in the region.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:44 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1985 View Post
Hope this doesn't ruffle any feathers: I'm doing research for real estate investment purposes and notice that many of the lower priced cities I'm looking into have a very large population, sometimes a majority, of blacks. Examples: Dayton OH, Memphis TN, Atlanta GA, Jacksonville FL, Rochester NY. I'm from California, so I've never seen an area that has more than 20% blacks outside of Compton, and Compton is not the major city in the area.

Anyone know why black majority areas are often so cheaply valued? I understand that white flight has something to do with it, but would seem to me that if jobs disappear, blacks would also move? thanks for any insight
Has nothing to do with disappearing jobs. You can start your research here:

How Home Ownership Keeps Blacks Poorer Than Whites - Forbes

Old 03-09-2013, 02:59 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AD1985 View Post

White flight has pretty much everything to do with it. It started because of overcrowding and pollution, not just jobs disappearing (because many, MANY people work in the cities but live in the suburbs). But because African-Americans have, on average, lower income levels than white people (the reasons for this are multifaceted and go back all the way to Jim Crow laws and discrimination after the end of slavery), many of them can't "also move," especially when the white flight has been mostly to affluent suburbs with very high home prices.

So it becomes a compounding problem. Rich (mostly white) people move, leaving behind abandoned homes that lose value until they are either unlivable or purchased by poor (mostly Black and Hispanic) people. Tax money dries up, schools have to be closed, infrastructure falls apart. Until then even less wealthy people want anything to do with the place. As a former Cleveland resident whose family moved down south (we are white, but we certainly aren't rich) I've experienced the effect a shrinking population has on a city personally.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:30 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
What's the crime rate in those areas? I think crime rate has a lot more to do with values than the ethnic composition of the residents.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:56 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What's the crime rate in those areas? I think crime rate has a lot more to do with values than the ethnic composition of the residents.
Nope. Even majority Black upper-income neighborhoods with low crime rates have lower valuations than majority White neighborhoods with similar income levels.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:48 PM

93,299 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Nope. Even majority Black upper-income neighborhoods with low crime rates have lower valuations than majority White neighborhoods with similar income levels.
Sad, but true. Also, none of the metros mentioned are mostly Black.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:51 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,229,601 times
Look at Detroit, go from there.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:54 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,739,613 times
I'm not sure of any metropolian areas that are majority African-American. However, if we refer to inner city and suburbs with majority black populations I think the answer might be a perceived notion that majority black areas are not as vibrant and safe as white neighborhoods. In general, black areas are perceived to be poorer and somewhat run-down. Sometimes this notion is inaccurate, other times not.

Old 03-09-2013, 05:08 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,878 times
Because people with money don't want to live in black neighborhoods, this includes upper class black people. The schools are not as good, crime tends to be higher and people associate black areas with poverty even when that's not the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies