Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Read my below sentence.

Rinse.

Repeat.
So the point is that you actually have to have a federal background check done? And that a United States astronaut and spouse of a Representative (Senator? I don't recall) actually can pass a background check? It sounds like the only thing he is proving is that the SYSTEM WORKS. Well...up to a point, since he actually committed a federal felony.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 03-11-2013 at 08:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:50 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Well, I don't know about all the other names Kelly has been called on this thread, but he most certainly IS a criminal!
If he signed that background check form certifying that he bought the AR-15 for his own use, and never intended to keep it or use it himself, he has LIED on a Federal form!
If he said the same thing about the .45, he just doubled the lie!
THAT, friends and neighbors, is against the law!
However, we all know he will NEVER, no way in hell, be prosecuted for it!
That just doesn't happen to people with HIS stature!
It is not illegal to purchase a gun that you intend to give as a gift. This happens tens of thousands of times each year. I'm sure the local gun shop didn't question my brother-in-law when he was purchasing a pink, youth model .223 single shot rifle. My niece was 10 at the time and took it on her first hunting trip.

Why didn't he take possession of it? Maybe he didn't have the cash at the time. In his own words he says that he saw it on the way out of the store. He may have only put down a deposit on it. I can't make an impulse buy of something that costs between $1,000 and $3,000. Especially not after buying a 1911 (a good one costs $1,000+).

So everyone is clear, I am not standing up for Mark Kelly. The discussion of him "giving" it to the PD didn't happen until 3 days later and after a person contacted his political action committee. I believe he had every intention of keeping the gun for himself until he was "caught" with it. His comment " Even to buy an assault weapon, the background check only takes a matter of minutes." is completely stupid. The NICS background check process is computerized and should not take that much time.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:56 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
He seems to be doing a great job proving what hypocrites he and is wife are.

He would hardly be the first liberal hypocrite to buy guns for themselves and at the same time push to have them banned for everyone else.
Although he never did.
He pushed/pushes for complete background checks.

Don't let the facts get in your way.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:57 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"Kelly planned to turn over the AR-15 to the police after taking possession, as he stated on his Facebook page. He had no intention of keeping the weapon for himself."

So, he LIED on a Federal form! The signature line specifically states that "I hereby certify that all information on this form is true..."
He performed a criminal act, by certifying that the information on that form ("this purchase is for my own use") was true!
HE LIED! That is a prosecutable offense! Want to bet no prosecutor will take action?
PLUS, his act in buying those weapons was just that, AN ACT! He filled out the background check forms (just like everybody does, when buying from a dealer), it was called in (just as it is for everybody who buys from a dealer), he passed the check (just as the antis want everybody to do), and he can get his weapons. It proved nothing!
Here is the Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/Capt.MarkKelly

Quote:
Looks like the judiciary committee will vote on background checks next week. I just had a background check a few days ago when I went to my local gun store to buy a 45. As I was leaving, I noticed a used AR-15. Bought that too. Even to buy an assault weapon, the background check only takes a matter of minutes. I don't have possession yet but I'll be turning it over to the Tucson PD when I do. Scary to think of people buying guns like these without a background check at a gun show or the Internet. We really need to close the gun show and private seller loop hole.
Turning a gun over to the police is not the same as giving the weapon to some random person.

Kelly is LEGALLY disposing of his gun.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:58 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,910,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Although he never did.
He pushed/pushes for complete background checks.

Don't let the facts get in your way.
As opposed to incomplete background checks?

Old 03-11-2013, 09:00 AM

5,730 posts, read 10,124,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
According to his words he did it to make an anti-gun point.
Is that why he is keeping the 45?

Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,495,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Here is the Facebook page:

Turning a gun over to the police is not the same as giving the weapon to some random person.

Kelly is LEGALLY disposing of his gun.
Question 11a. "you are not the actual buyer if you are buying the gun for another person".

Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 AM

340 posts, read 495,669 times
Its a good way to buy one and not have any neg. press. You can just say your making a point. Did he then turn it over to the police for destruction? I bet not. I don't give a rats ass if he was in the NASA program or if his wife got shot in the head. It makes no difference to me. People get in car accidents and hit by drunk drivers every day, I don't try to ban booze or cars because of it. They are plying on the emotional strings of her getting shot. Well very sorry but it makes no difference to any bans on any guns. Even the most restrictive gun proposal that is put up in the congress right now would have stopped Gifford from getting shot in the head. Even a mag ban I can change out a a glock mag very fast. I think Gifford took one of the first shots so its a stupid point. Nope no more gun laws not one. I voted for Obama twice and now its Republican NRA A rated all the way. ********* liberals who want some of us to go along with gay rights, womens rights and abortion rights. If you keep your hands off my guns, I dont give a rats ass about your rights.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:08 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
So the point is that you actually have to have a federal background check done? And that a United States astronaut and spouse of a Representative (Senator? I don't recall) actually can pass a background check? It sounds like the only thing he is proving is that the SYSTEM WORKS. Well...up to a point, since he actually committed a federal felony.
No ... he is proving that the system has serious issues.

Quote:
Looks like the judiciary committee will vote on background checks next week. I just had a background check a few days ago when I went to my local gun store to buy a 45. As I was leaving, I noticed a used AR-15. Bought that too. Even to buy an assault weapon, the background check only takes a matter of minutes. I don't have possession yet but I'll be turning it over to the Tucson PD when I do. Scary to think of people buying guns like these without a background check at a gun show or the Internet. We really need to close the gun show and private seller loop hole.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:08 AM

340 posts, read 495,669 times
Kelly is a troll, on his web he buys a 45acp and under it its all about how a gun is more likely to be used against you than to protect you but he buys a 45 acp then sees a used AR. He buys it on his way out. What a hypocrite. So mr assss tronaut is it guns are bad or some guns are bad or we should not own guns but you can? Your sending several messages, I think the Gama rays got through your space suite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies