Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 09:38 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It is a question of intent at the time of purchase. For example, you buy a gun for yourself and head right to the range right after the sale. You realize the gun recoils too much for you and complain about it. Nothing (that I know of) stops you from selling to the guy at the next booth that has been looking for the same firearm. However, you can't go in with the "intent" to buy for that other guy. It's an odd law.

Had Mr. Kelly bought the gun for himself, taken it home, then had second thoughts, I don't think he would be breaking any laws by turning it over to LE. However, if he bought it with the intent to do so, I believe that is illegal. Gun laws are so poorly written that even people trying to play by the rules regularly get tripped up.
I doubt any court would find Kelly guilty of breaking any laws.

Turning a gun over to the police is the most legal way I can think of in disposing a gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 09:40 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,984,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
"It takes several hours to complete". Really? Registering a car takes no more than 10 minutes at my DMV. Does it somehow make it "safer" where you are because it takes longer?

No federal background check of any kind to buy a new 5000 lb killing machine that operates on public streets. Heck, I can even do so if I'm a felon, drug user or mentally ill.
I am talking about obtaining a drivers license ... not a vehicle registration.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:43 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,951,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
I have respect for his wife, who has fought so hard to come back from her horrific injuries.

But I don't respect those who manipulate her injuries to further a political agenda, who do the exact opposite of what they say they believe in, and who then lie about it all. So it goes with Gabby Giffords husband Mark Kelly. Caught buying an AR and then tries to say it was to demonstrate how soft gun regulations are:

Gabby Giffords's Husband Buys AR-15
And no one will question his motives. Someone tried to murder his wife, he buys an AR-15. Nah, could never happen.

Were it anyone else, interviews would take place, motives questioned.

But astronauts don't do bad things do they? Seem to remember one of them going to great lengths to harm another over jealousy. I bet no one makes the link.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:44 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
I am talking about obtaining a drivers license ... not a vehicle registration.
So? He wasn't getting a concealed carry license...which is more demanding than a DL. He was just buying a new gun...no different than buying a new car. Which requires no background check of any kind.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I doubt any court would find Kelly guilty of breaking any laws.
Which just goes to demonstrate the problems with gun laws. We don't even enforce the ones we have!

Old 03-11-2013, 10:45 AM

46,276 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Although he never did.
He pushed/pushes for complete background checks.

Don't let the facts get in your way.

They don't do back ground checks at a gun store? Really?

Facts, people should learn them....

Old 03-11-2013, 10:52 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Although he never did.
He pushed/pushes for complete background checks.

Don't let the facts get in your way.
Then he should have bought his AR in the parking lot of a Wal Mart and not a gun store that performs a check. Every single time.

That would have at least been a tiny bit believable.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:00 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,753 times
Quote:
It's thinking like this that makes me sooooooo glad your side lost the election.

You side is so blinded with hatred, that common sense is never used.

The fact you actually believe Kelly purchased an AR-15 for his own personal use, after he and his wife have been ACTIVELY protesting against ownership of these exact weapons, just shows how little common sense you have.

Kelly was on Capitol Hill testifying for gun control just 1 month ago. He and his wife Giffords are actively doing everything possible to end gun violence in America.

Kelly made these recent gun purchases simply to show how easy it is for people to obtain guns, including AR-15 assault rifles. He did it to prove a point, and nothing more.

Kelly planned to turn over the AR-15 to the police after taking possession, as he stated on his Facebook page. He had no intention of keeping the weapon for himself.

It amazes me that here are two genuinely caring people, who are actively working on Capitol Hill trying to end gun violence in America, and they get called "scumbags" and "hypocrites" by those who sit at home and who do absolutely NOTHING for their country!
If he knowingly bought the weapon just to turnover to the PD, THAT IS A STRAW PURCHASE!

He lied on a federal form and is a felony!!

Rand Paul 2016

Old 03-11-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
If he knowingly bought the weapon just to turnover to the PD, THAT IS A STRAW PURCHASE!

He lied on a federal form and is a felony!!

Rand Paul 2016
It does put the gun banners in quite a pickle, doesn't it?

On one hand, it's perfectly legal for him to buy it for his own use. But that makes the gun-banners little hero a hypocrite of epic proportions.

Or he could have bought it "for someone else" which makes him a criminal.

Should have picked a person more knowledgable about gun laws as their mouthpiece.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:04 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,578,753 times
Quote:
1) He purchased the gun for himself.

2) He chose to legally dispose of it by turning it over to the police.

Everything is legal.
He's NOT in possession of it of it yet and said he plans to turn it over.

Quote:
Once you are the owner of a gun, I don't think there is any specific timeframe you must keep the gun in your possession before you can dispose of it to the police.

Please prove me wrong on this.
The transaction isn't complete until he is in possession and the money is turned over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies