Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 02:19 PM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Really? Standing up to and attack mean the same thing in your mind?

I'll stop attacking you now.
I'm not a Christian...stand up all you like.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:26 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
I'm not a Christian...stand up all you like.
So what I'm hearing from you is "I have nothing to say but I want to be part of this thread"

DO YOU have an opinion on the OP? Did the officer have a legitimate legal grip? Was he being singled out for his LACK of belief? Anything will do. More than 6-7 words are probably needed though. I think he was correct to "stand up" for his rights. He goes to work, not church, and shouldn't have to put up with anyone hassling him about religion. I don't know anyone in their right mind who would have a problem with this.

Last edited by Ceece; 03-11-2013 at 02:48 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 02:39 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Why do some people seem to think the majority of Puerto Ricans don't want the police department to be sued?

I want to see some evidence for that before we go the whole the mainlanders are trying to conquer my nation route.

To put things in perspective though, the Puerto Rican Police Department may have far more problems than bullying one guy who refused to say prayers:

The ACLU report noted that between 2005 and 2010, more than 1,700 officers were arrested on charges including murder, drug trafficking and domestic violence. The number represents nearly 10 percent of the police force and is nearly three times the number of officers arrested in a comparable five-year period in the New York Police Department, which has more than twice as many officers.
Puerto Rican Police Department Faces Human Rights Crisis Of 'Epic Proportions', According To ACLU

Last edited by Clintone; 03-11-2013 at 03:17 PM..

Old 03-11-2013, 02:42 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,295,500 times
Just another article decrying the manufactured war on Christians. The ironic thing is, if they would have just let him not participate in the prayers and not harassed or demeaned him, he probably would not have filed the suit with the ACLU and they could have gone on their merry way, at least for awhile longer.

I'm a Christian, I go to Church. I don't force my neighbors to go with me, or think less of them when they don't.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:57 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
Like I said earlier, they'll stop. They have to. How did you miss that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And they still don't get to discriminate.
Period.

Making excuses for discrimination?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:58 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Advocate is too strong a word. The Bible condones slavery.

The Bible does not condemn slavery, but in fact supports the regulated practice of it, especially under the Old Testament,[1][2] but also in the New Testament.[3][4] Male Israelite slaves were to be offered release after seven years of service, with some stipulations.[5][6][7] Foreign slaves and their posterity became the perpetual property of the owner's family,[8] except in the case of certain injuries.[9]
The regulation of slavery in the Bible, and absence of outright condemnation of it as an institution, was later used to justify slavery by its defenders.[10][11] Abolitionists have also used text from the New Testament to argue for the manumission of slaves.[12][13][14][15]
Then we are all slaves.. we are slaves of debt, slaves of working, slaves of our own needs. God knows from beginning to end. Are there not those who slave away their life for a dollar , and some are already rich and still are slaving away for more money.

In the centuries past there were many who did not have a means of supporting themselves to exist was a huge challenge.. no factories such as what has been in the years of the industrial age. Times were extremely different. With a keen eye for understanding one must look deep into the ages and the reasons there was a need to be a slave is no different than in this day and age being owned by a corporation that directs one to do this or travel there.

The value was much less for a life, less as their was a greater burden to survive centuries ago. One must realize what has taken place in civilization to understand it all and look with a mind of common sense to the days that slavery took place.

And Of course there was the slave owners who either loved their slaves and treated them well , and those who used and killed off them and used them with no compassion.

Similarly we either work and have a good boss or work and have a person who cares nothing for their worker.

Even today who is to say none of us are slaves? Freedom goes just so far as the government has turned us into slaves .. everyone of us has to pay taxes and follow their rules and they are heaping many of them on us as time goes by.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
somewhere along the lines of 'a slave should respect his master...'

that is acceptance of slavery.

where does it say in the Bible 'a slave should kill his master' or 'a slave should rebel against his master'

it doesn't , but this is what slaves should do.

So we can see that Christians support slavery.

Slavery is evil.

therefore, Christianity is evil.
Your words will be recorded. Your interpretation is off..

Old 03-11-2013, 03:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
Like I said earlier, they'll stop. They have to. How did you miss that?
I didn't miss that, nor did I miss your weak: well, they're catholic, comment.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:05 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,215 times
Ha, you missed a lot, as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I didn't miss that, nor did I miss your weak: well, they're catholic, comment.

Old 03-11-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy...just to name a few places. Have you read the greatest story on earth?
Some Jews sold themselves into slavery...

Freeing Servants

12 If any of your people—Hebrew men or women—sell themselves to you and serve you six years, in the seventh year you must let them go free. 13 And when you release them, do not send them away empty-handed. 14 Supply them liberally from your flock, your threshing floor and your winepress. Give to them as the Lord your God has blessed you. 15 Remember that you were slaves in Egypt and the Lord your God redeemed you. That is why I give you this command today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies