Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 06:40 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Yet you guys think it was all a conspiracy b/c the parents weren't weeping and wailing and gnashing their teeth during the whole ordeal. Sorry, losing one's child is an emotional experience. If we want to put emotion aside, we can all think, like the "true believers" that a few dead children is the price we pay for the unfettered right to own a gun.
Yes. Its the price we pay. And its far from unfettered.

Freedom is not always pretty my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
The "emotionally charged argument" is one meant to discredit an argument without actually saying anything to discredit it.

moving on, no one said this would have stopped Adam Lanza, however in the future, it could. It could stop those who will try to do the same because they would not have been able to buy those clips at all. none of that matters on a state to state level as you could just travel across state lines to get something, it needs to be a nation wide thing, not a state by state one.

Im not sure why the argument from those who support less gun control is always that this hurts the good guys. how so ? if the clips are no longer manufactured then criminals would no longer be able to get them.
Wrong, you would no longer LEGALLY be able to buy new ones. Hundreds of thousands or more already exist. You plan on stopping manufacturing of these clips in other countries? Think they will be hard to ship? Not at all.

We have to get around of this twisted thinking. Why are we beating around the bush and trying to ban things that a few bad people use while the vast majority of the users have no issues with? Why don't we fix the problem...the criminals.

This is so dang simple, and I don't know why so many people don't get it. Our laws mean NOTHING to a CRIMINAL. That's WHY they are a CRIMINAL! If they obeyed the laws, they would be like us.

If a crazed loon is wants to shoot up a building full of people, they will do it no matter what the laws are.

Felons owning firearms, shooting people, robbing, car jacking, raping, stabbing, assaulting, etc is already illegal. All you want to do is give them more laws to break and strip me of my constitutional rights.

I'm dead serious, if you don't like the constitution, move. Get out of this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 06:45 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,240,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
To the liberal gun grabbers I recommend you dont watch this video. You are not going to like what this man has to say..a real man who has faced more pain and trauma in his life then you have. He talks about things like personal responsibility, parenting, civility.. Things that Ive found most liberals simply can't relate to.

Hey, I hate to be a city-data politically correct nazi but, it's Newtown, not newton!

Welcome to Newtown, CT

If you're going to talk sheet, at least know what you're talking about.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:58 AM

59,037 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
So let me get this straight, liberals post videos and statements from hundreds even thousands of parents who call for better gun laws and republicans and conservatives dismiss it. You post a video about one parent and all of a sudden we should except it ?

That last line shows exactly what is wrong with right wingers in america. Anytime someone disagrees with your point of view, instead of you engaging in conversation or simple realizing that everyone doesnt think like you,you attack the person.
IMO, I would rather listen to someone has experienced the tragedy rather then "thousands" who haven't.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:04 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
IMO, I would rather listen to someone has experienced the tragedy rather then "thousands" who haven't.
I have experienced the tragedy of my civil rights being taken away here in California.

Frankly, the voice of those who you wish to violate is just as import as the voice of those who have already been violated.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I don't know how we stop Adam Lanza. That was in the past and can't be undone. I'm saying that making guns as available as candy and continuing to do so forever will lead to more Adam Lanzas, without any question. Who knows how many people we can save? You don't know, I don't know an exact number. But we do know that more will die if we do nothing, and it will take a lot of time too, because the country is awash in guns right now. The continued flow of guns into the hands of so-called "law-abiding citizens" who will someday crack wide open is what I'm hoping to change.

You not having as much fun shooting things on the weekends is less of a concern to me than the collateral damage you're willing to accept for your fun. And I do not accept the specious "he's not a law-abiding citizen after he killed people" argument. Of course, my opinion is of no interest to anyone posting on this thread, so I think I'm done here. No worries, gun fetishists, your blood pressure is safe today!
This is a perfect example of why I don't listen to people like you.

Some have opinions different then yours and instead of engaging in adult conversation, you lash out, insult and run.

I will however pose a question to you. Yous ask, "Who knows how many people we can save?"

According to the FBI guns are used between 1.5 and 2.5 MILLION times a year for protection.

How many lives HAVE ALREADY BEEN SAVED? And how many MORE lives will be saved?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
That's right. So we have to accept a little "collateral damage", e.g. 26 dead people, including 20 children. In addition, Franklin didn't say that.
What about the people who have shot armed intruders in the homes who have "large" magazines. Would YOU like to be limited to 10 rounds when they have 20, 30 or more? Are you OK with that "collateral" damage?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I have experienced the tragedy of my civil rights being taken away here in California.

Frankly, the voice of those who you wish to violate is just as import as the voice of those who have already been violated.
You have a reading comprehension problem. Show me where I sad to VIOLATE ANYBODIES VOICE.

Maybe I should have said, I would HEAD someone with experience rather then....

People are free to say what they want and I will listen. Just as I am free take what they say or dismiss it.

Don't try to twist peoples words.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post

Why is it that only the shooter has rights and not the people leaving the schools,malls,theaters,etc. in body bags? What became of their "unalienable right to life,liberty and the pursuit of happiness"?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:49 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,974,080 times
One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over, hoping for a different result.
The last assault weapons ban did no noticeable good, so let's do it again, only this time we will expand the definition of "assault weapon", and it WILL work.
Oh, yeah, and we will add "high capacity magazines" to the ban, to make it even more effective!
right!
I can only assume the people who believe this silliness also believe in the Tooth Fairy and the Sandman!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:00 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I won't shout back at you. You're the one whose grasp of logic and common sense is completely nonexistent.

He was law-abiding until AFTER he killed those kids. That's the freakin' point. Your position is: Give every man, woman and child a gun, and then after they kill someone, wail about how crazy they are. To hell with the actual victim, family and friends, right? As long as the guy was law-abiding until he wasn't, make sure his Second Amendment rights are protected.

Guns for all.

This is pretty easy to understand, but I know this post will be followed by 6,749 others making exactly the same mindless, illogical point that you just did. Keep repeating it and maybe it makes sense someday, right?
In fact he was mentally unstable, had tried to purchase guns and been rejected and his mother had tried to get him committed, and failed to do so because the laws have been changed in such a way, that a person has to be acting out violently BEFORE they can be committed.

This would not have happened, if the mother could have properly gotten her son treatment for his mental instability that she knew was there and was trying to deal with, only to be blocked by LAW.

He was NOT a law abiding citizen until he started killing people. He was crazy and everyone knew it but the LAW prevented anyone from getting him treatment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies