Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:59 AM

78,372 posts, read 60,566,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Those of us with a bit of sense about us knew he was yet another Opportunistic Detroit Loser not unlike those corrupt losers who dominate DC City Council and other cities with minority majority leadership.
Big city corruption is nothing new and is probably even more prevalent in white majority cities like Chicago.

You are confusing what is an urban problem, resultant of longterm single party rule and the correlation to minorities moving to urban centers due to various historical factors.

Good old William Hale Thompson, the last Republican mayor of Chicago was one of the dirtiest politicians in US history. Al Capone crony, died around 1947 with something like $5million CASH in safe deposit boxes.

It doesn't matter the party, the ethnicity etc etc.....heck, the communist party is China is corrupt as heck....single party rule in urban centers is just going to create corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 08:22 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Big city corruption is nothing new and is probably even more prevalent in white majority cities like Chicago.

You are confusing what is an urban problem, resultant of longterm single party rule and the correlation to minorities moving to urban centers due to various historical factors.

Good old William Hale Thompson, the last Republican mayor of Chicago was one of the dirtiest politicians in US history. Al Capone crony, died around 1947 with something like $5million CASH in safe deposit boxes.

It doesn't matter the party, the ethnicity etc etc.....heck, the communist party is China is corrupt as heck....single party rule in urban centers is just going to create corruption.
Absolute power, corrupts absolutely.

Chicago is not majority white though.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:43 AM

12,956 posts, read 13,671,429 times
I was in Detroit (2008?) the morning a story broke in the morning paper. Black school children were devastated. Kwame Kirkpatrick is one careless dude. I don't blame the city of Detroit for looking for hope in a young black man. That's still what the city, like many Urban cities need.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:52 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
I was in Detroit (2008?) the morning a story broke in the morning paper. Black school children were devastated. Kwame Kirkpatrick is one careless dude. I don't blame the city of Detroit for looking for hope in a young black man. That's still what the city, like many Urban cities need.
you'd have to be some kind of masochist to want to be mayor of detroit at this point in time in the first place. dave bing [old black guy] is far better suited to the kind of tough decisions they're facing now than an immature greedoid like kwame.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:58 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,826,650 times
Lovely, now he'll be supported by the taxpayers! He should have to pay back every penny he stole from Detroit!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:14 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
He was a con man nothing more. Although a very good one , his smooth line of BS duped many people. As you can see from the local news reports, some of them still are duped. He was a snazzy dresser though !
Again with the matter-of-fact statements.

So he skillfully duped people. Uhhhh..ok. What am I supposed to say to that? Am I supposed to give you a cookie for your observational superpowers?

And no, I can't see anything from the local news reports. That story isn't being covered here.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:51 AM

29,468 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Again with the matter-of-fact statements.

So he skillfully duped people. Uhhhh..ok. What am I supposed to say to that? Am I supposed to give you a cookie for your observational superpowers?

And no, I can't see anything from the local news reports. That story isn't being covered here.
It's all good, you can have your own opinion of him. Mine is different than yours, and I think it's sad that he still has so many followers. This guy got rich off of them and helped further the downward spiral that Detroit has become.
Its just a debate on a forum, no cookies needed.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:59 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
It's all good, you can have your own opinion of him. Mine is different than yours, and I think it's sad that he still has so many followers. This guy got rich off of them and helped further the downward spiral that Detroit has become.
Its just a debate on a forum, no cookies needed.
What are you talking about? Where do our opinions of him "differ?"

I said that he was considered to be a "rising star" because at the tender age of 28, he was the House Minority Leader in his state. That's a simple fact. I didn't put any mustard on it one way or another.

So if you disagree with that, then yea...our opinions differ. But I really don't see how you can disagree with a simple fact.

What else did I say that was so disagreeable?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:59 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
When he gets out of prison, he is a shoe in to be re-elected.

and that is why Detroit is Detroit....

Old 03-12-2013, 10:56 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
On a related note, a small city Mayor in Pa and two city council from Philly may be on the way out very shortly from a little hanky panky with a union and skirting election campaign contribution limits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies