Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM

1,137 posts, read 972,202 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVz2lHODQvs

This cancerous creature clearly doesnt care about Constitution or the rights of the American people.

She belongs in prison for the rest of her pathetic life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 02:13 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Calm down, they're not coming for your guns...or are they?
Quote:
“We want everything on the table,” Schakowsky told Mattera. “This is a moment of opportunity. There’s no question about it.”
One poignant exchange was as follows:
Schakowsky: We’re on a roll now, and I think we’ve got to take the--you know, we’re gonna push as hard as we can and as far as we can.
Mattera: So the assault weapons ban is just the beginning?
Schakowsky: Oh absolutely. I mean, I’m against handguns. We have, in Illinois, the Council Against Handgun... something [Violence]. Yeah, I’m a member of that. So, absolutely.

In another exchange, Schakowsky proposed allowances for states and municipalities to ban guns--though such laws have been repeatedly rejected by the Supreme Court:
Mattera: We’ll never get a handgun ban with the Second Amendment as stated.
Schakowsky: I don’t know. I don’t know that we can’t.
And there may be an allowance, once again, for communities--I have communities in my district that prohibited handguns within their borders. The rights of municipalities and states to view that as a sensible way to keep people safe--I don’t think it’s precluded.
When Mattera asked why legislators were not pressing for a handgun ban, given that most murders are committed with handguns, Schakowsky replied: “Because we’re not going to be able to win that. Not now.” She went on to explain why background checks were a useful interim policy, arguing that they would “address any kind of weapon.”

Old 03-11-2013, 02:17 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Calm down, they're not coming for your guns...or are they?
“We want everything on the table,” Schakowsky told Mattera. “This is a moment of opportunity. There’s no question about it.”
One poignant exchange was as follows:
Schakowsky: We’re on a roll now, and I think we’ve got to take the--you know, we’re gonna push as hard as we can and as far as we can.
Mattera: So the assault weapons ban is just the beginning?
Schakowsky: Oh absolutely. I mean, I’m against handguns. We have, in Illinois, the Council Against Handgun... something [Violence]. Yeah, I’m a member of that. So, absolutely.
In another exchange, Schakowsky proposed allowances for states and municipalities to ban guns--though such laws have been repeatedly rejected by the Supreme Court:
Mattera: We’ll never get a handgun ban with the Second Amendment as stated.
Schakowsky: I don’t know. I don’t know that we can’t. And there may be an allowance, once again, for communities--I have communities in my district that prohibited handguns within their borders. The rights of municipalities and states to view that as a sensible way to keep people safe--I don’t think it’s precluded.
When Mattera asked why legislators were not pressing for a handgun ban, given that most murders are committed with handguns, Schakowsky replied: “Because we’re not going to be able to win that. Not now.” She went on to explain why background checks were a useful interim policy, arguing that they would “address any kind of weapon.”

Thankfully, SCOTUS disagrees with her. Elected officials should be punished for proposing laws that are unconstitutional.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:21 PM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Cold dead hands can't pry guns away from living ones. Its all moot anyway, the american people will never allow that kind of fascist event, gun banning , to take place.
Now everybody needs to write ammo and gun manufacturers and tell them to increase production to meet the demand. Hire and keep up the overtime.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:23 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,804,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Thankfully, SCOTUS disagrees with her. Elected officials should be punished for proposing laws that are unconstitutional.
Thankfully, [the current] SCOTUS disagrees with her.
I hope there are no changes on the court for the next four years.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:24 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Don't liberals understand by now that the issue of gun control is dead on arrival? Coburn backed out of bipartisan background investigation requirements because Democrats insist on a gun registry. Democrats needed Coburn to push the BI bill forward. He's out....a gun registry is a non-starter....therefore the bill is a non-starter. There will not be an assault weapons ban because there are too many Red State Senate Democrats up for re-election. High capacity magazine ban **may** garner bi-partisan support, but only as a pawn to the larger gun control movement.

The best that Democrats can expect are Harry Reid allowing amendments to be voted on in order to at least let Democrats look like they are trying even as they know the amendments will fail.

It's not "just starting".....It's already "dead."

Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,289,317 times
Thankfully, SCOTUS disagrees with her. Elected officials should be punished for proposing laws that are unconstitutional.[/quote]

Old 03-11-2013, 02:28 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
I made a thread about that, but someone said that it might be difficult to figure out if a law is unconstitutional or not, and that's why we have the Supreme Court.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:31 PM

78,421 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Don't liberals understand by now that the issue of gun control is dead on arrival? Coburn backed out of bipartisan background investigation requirements because Democrats insist on a gun registry. Democrats needed Coburn to push the BI bill forward. He's out....the bill is a non-starter. There will not be an assault weapons ban because there are too many Red State Senate Democrats up for re-election. High capacity magazine ban **may** garner bi-partisan support, but only as a pawn to the larger gun control movement.

It's not "just starting".....It's already "dead."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS, is what I've said here over and over and over for YEARS.

So many posters seem to just not get the fact that supporting any type of gun control would be political suicide for AT LEAST a dozen democratic Senators from rural states.

What we are hearing is potificating by politicians so that they can get camera time and show their constituents that they are fighting on the issue. Do so few posters understand how the house and senate work?

Old 03-11-2013, 02:31 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Thankfully, [the current] SCOTUS disagrees with her.
I hope there are no changes on the court for the next four years.
Not on the conservative side anyways.

My guess they will take a carry outside the home case in the next term and that should give us a ruling some time next June. Hopefully they will establish strict scrutiny for the 2nd ammendment like the other enumerated rights
http://content.csbs.utah.edu/~dlevin...ny%20table.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies