Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 04:56 PM

3,318 posts, read 4,113,966 times

Advertisements

Morning standard people use their AM sunshine abilities to steal jobs from the morning disadvantaged. Most job interviews are scheduled in the mornings, when daylight savers are at their weakest. Standard's come off fresh durring a very sour part of the day, all you want to do is punch them in the face when they smile and start jabbering at you at 8 in the morning. They use that sick AM demeanor to great advantage, sucking up to the boss and making us PM powerhouses look bad.

Many of these morning people get up 4 hours before they have to be at work, when they don't even have to ! Can you believe that ? Sometimes they even go out for a jog and do exercises.......before they go to work ! What happens is they peak in the morning (which is really almost afternoon for them)......then later after lunch they crash and burn like a North Korean rocket. They drink booze durring lunch hour and then drag butt all afternoon, because they have slipped into early evening saver people mode........but at 2 in the afternoon. By 5 pm they are almost dead and have been worthless all afternoon. Then they go home to eat and then go to sleep right after....and get up at 3 AM to rain sunshine and lollypops when the slightest ray of light appears in the eastern sky again. BARF !

Daylight Savings helps to level the playing field. Many construction related jobs require workers to be there and working at sunrise, such as roofers, concrete people ect....because the work has to be done in the morning when it's cooler. Standard time in the summer would really suck for them, they will have to be there at 5 AM ! They would die !

Old 03-12-2013, 04:59 PM

20,652 posts, read 23,829,464 times
Pity there wasnt a petition for the uk. Pointless here especilally ni.

Also those stupid liberals will never get rid of it. Personally I think its a waste of time signin a petition because the british government would never listen to the people anyway. They have already decided what they want and they will alter the voting rules to get what they want.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:02 PM

20,652 posts, read 23,829,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
What?

I hate getting up at 2am to change the damn clock. Ruins my sleep and what not.
That is so pointless do it before you goto bed.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:32 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,217,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
What?
It would mean early sunsets year round unless you live in northern latitudes. Arizona does not do daylight savings time. In late June, the sun comes up before 5AM and its dark by 8PM.

I realize most people are for abolishing it, but in doing that, the business day should also be shifted an hour earlier. 9-5 should become 8-4, school should start an hour earlier, etc.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:45 PM

41,878 posts, read 74,938,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
We need to ban DST.

It can kill people.
Daylight Saving Time doesn't kill people; people kill people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I hate daylight savings time. Just when it's starting to get light out when the kids go to school, we make it dark again.
Sounds like your school district starts too early. Talk to the school board about it.

Quote:
We worked 7:00 - 3:30 during the winter and 6:00 - 2:30 in the summer.
That doesn't fly in the real world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
That is so pointless do it before you goto bed.
No more pointless than changing the clocks when you get up, or getting up at 2 a.m. to do so. Hell, you can change the clocks three days before or a week after. It doesn't matter, because time changes whether or not your clocks change.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:55 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,466,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Daylight Saving Time doesn't kill people; people kill people.

Sounds like your school district starts too early. Talk to the school board about it.

That doesn't fly in the real world.

No more pointless than changing the clocks when you get up, or getting up at 2 a.m. to do so. Hell, you can change the clocks three days before or a week after. It doesn't matter, because time changes whether or not your clocks change.
Regarding what is in bold: What world do you think I was working in???

School starts early to accomodate sports and students working. It is common for high schools to start around 7:30 AM. My dd's school starts at 7:10 AM. Schools are not going to change their hours. Kids not being able to work after school impacts too many businesses and it cuts into time for sports.

I see no point in DST. You have just as many hours of light either way but if we were to stay on standard time, at least the kids would go to school after it's light out for part of the year.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:42 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,231,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Regarding what is in bold: What world do you think I was working in???

School starts early to accomodate sports and students working. It is common for high schools to start around 7:30 AM. My dd's school starts at 7:10 AM. Schools are not going to change their hours. Kids not being able to work after school impacts too many businesses and it cuts into time for sports.

I see no point in DST. You have just as many hours of light either way but if we were to stay on standard time, at least the kids would go to school after it's light out for part of the year.

The public HS in my town starts at 7:27am and dismisses at 2:28pm. All kids are bussed because the new HS was built in the middle of the boonies.

The school my kids go to (k-12) starts at 8:20pm and dismisses at 3:10. Everything, including sports (and gym is every day as well as the mandatory music choice class and an elective class) gets fit in, and once in a while, the HS even plays the local public school in sports due to the schools being in the same division.

How would HS students getting dismissed 30 or 60 minutes later hinder businesses? What kinds of businesses are these? My business employs college kids, and every semester their class schedule changes - so their work schedule is adjusted. No big deal. I'm just curious, no snark intended.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:52 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,401,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Just change to "daylight savings time" year around. "Standard time" is kind of stupid. Who cares if it's daylight the first couple of hours at work anyway. A little time with sun after work means something.
You have an entire country of people who can barely function without having 3 cups of coffee in the morning when the sun is out. Do you really think it would be a good idea to have people all across the nation trying to do their jobs while it's dark for 2 - 3 hours of their morning?

Just asking...

Old 03-12-2013, 07:02 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,231,246 times
I enjoy DST and think it should stay this way all year long.

I love the extra hour of light, especially in the summer.

Kids not wanting to go to bed when it's light outside during the school year? What age is this? The sun will set (NY) at 7pm tomorrow night. I don't know ANYONE (but me) who gets their kid in bed by 7pm (and that's only the 5 year old). The older two don't head to bed until 8:30 (10 year old) and 9:00 (13 year old).

Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,833,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Two weeks? Geez, I sure hope you never have to travel outside your time zone...
LOL... I know, right? It only takes me MAYBE one day to adjust, and the same goes for when I travel to other time zones. Heck, it only takes a day to adjust even when I travel to Europe - although I must admit, my trip to Australia set me back a little longer.

But I really have no internal clock, since I'm fighting a naturally nocturnal schedule as it is. And since I work almost every weekend, the other proposal (which I read on FB) to change it to Saturday @ 2am would make no difference to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.