Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:07 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Chemistry and biology is now considered propaganda?.
It's subtle, for example a teacher can do a demonstration with CO2 in how it traps heat. Fair enough but it's not as simple as that if they did it with the realistic concentrations. Even if they had the controls and very precise equipment needed the results are going to miniscule and certainly not going to leave an impression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 04:29 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Government,
Social Studies,
Geography

My daughters are freshmen and these classes are led by *******s with agendas.
Actually my Geography class was done with minimal propaganda.

Our teacher made us do a massive research project on three random countries the first half of the year, where we used the library to search for the countries physical, and cultural geography. We had to make a long presentation full of facts. Meanwhile we were taught history of the states.

...The last half of the year we did the presentations, took notes, and listened for corrections that our teacher made.

...Not much propaganda or political preference was tested or discussed in the class.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:33 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,645,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostInHouston View Post
Just because religious writings may conflict with science does not make the teaching of those subjects propaganda. Propaganda would be not teaching those subjects because of religious writings.
As long as religion isn't confused with science. Religion is a belief system. Science deals with provable, observable, phenomena and rigorous scientific testing. I think all students should take a course in scientific critical thinking so that they could better evaluate what they read and hear about.

In my opinion history is the subject most often taught with a bias.

Old 03-13-2013, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
As long as religion isn't confused with science. Religion is a belief system. Science deals with provable, observable, phenomena and rigorous scientific testing. I think all students should take a course in scientific critical thinking so that they could better evaluate what they read and hear about.

In my opinion history is the subject most often taught with a bias.
But religion is taught as fact. Religion is a set of beliefs that the people consider as true. Religion is a set of standards for behavior. Religion is a set of rituals.

...How can you NOT confuse religion if a religious organization teaches a set of beliefs that are in conflict with scientific theories and observations?

Old 03-13-2013, 07:59 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
There are certain people that claim public schools teach propaganda to the voting base. Indoctrination centers, they call them.

...so which subjects are used for propaganda?

My take:

English -this involves rules of grammar, vocabulary, writing, interpretation, communication. I'd assume there can be political bias in the assigned readings
Math -this is algebra, geometry, statistics, trigonometry, calculus. Never found any political relationships with the applications of them, but your experience could be different.
The sciences -definitely some political bias in these subjects taught by the teachers.
Physics -theory and application of math and physical laws. No politics here, none that I could fine.
Earth sciences -plenty of concepts, including plate tectonics, pollution, and climate, some of which conflict with religious writings and certain political beliefs.
Chemistry -includes study of energy in atoms, includes concepts of green house gases and man's output of them.
Biology -includes study of cells, DNA, and RNA. Discusses mutation, genetic drift, and evolution. Another subject in conflict with popular religious concepts.
Social studies -probably the subjects with the most political bias.
History -one teacher said that history is written by the winner, considerable bias found here. Liberal bias in my case.
Civics/Government -explains processes of government and the constitution. Surprisingly, teacher kept the discussions of the government parties to a minimum, so minimal bias here.
Economics -strong bias towards capitalism and Keynesian economics , though teacher did recommend reading the Communist Manifesto for extra credit.

...With that said, I do not think propaganda is so severe that it mimics the propaganda taught in Nazi Germany or the USSR.
I would consider any economics class that teaches Keynesian economics propaganda, as well as any class that teaches from the communist manifesto. The inflation scare 40 years ago proves how disastrous Keynesian is, and communism has been proven to be a terrible economic system as well.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:31 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
" Science deals with provable, observable, phenomena and rigorous scientific testing."

Now, there is a humorous statement if there ever was one! It MAY be true for SOME "science", but much of "science" consists of teaching THEORIES as FACTS, whereas religion teaches faith-based beliefs as facts.
In actuality, "science" is constantly evolving. Theories which have been accepted as fact for years are frequently found to be lacking, and new theories are formulated to replace them.
Remember, "science" said that no man could ever break the sound barrier.
But, it happened.
"Science" said that no man could ever break 60 MPH, the human body could not withstand the stress.
But, Barney Oldfield did it.
A "scientist" working for the Detroit Engineering Laboratory Company (DELCO) told the world that Tetra-Ethyl Lead was perfectly safe when used as an anti-knock additive in gasoline.
50 years later, it was found that he lied.
A "scientist" working for the American Medical Association lied to congress about the medical uses of cannabis (look it up), resulting in marijuana being made illegal. Today, many still won't admit that it has medicinal use, even though nearly everything does!
Now, some physicists are saying that maybe, just MAYBE, the "laws of physics" aren't QUITE as immutable as presently thought!
The more that is learned, the more we realize that we aren't as smart as we like to think we are.

Old 03-13-2013, 09:03 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
You might be great at mathematics but liberals are bad at math.
That must explain why all the pre-election "liberal" polls were accurate and why the "conservative" polls were all way off, predicting Romney would win.

It wasn't even close.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I would consider any economics class that teaches Keynesian economics propaganda, as well as any class that teaches from the communist manifesto. The inflation scare 40 years ago proves how disastrous Keynesian is, and communism has been proven to be a terrible economic system as well.
He didn't teach the communist manifesto, he just had us read some economic books and held a discussion on how the various policies differ.

...However he didn't teach the Austrian school of economics at all.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:18 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
He didn't teach the communist manifesto, he just had us read some economic books and held a discussion on how the various policies differ.

...However he didn't teach the Austrian school of economics at all.
ok...good. I misread your original post. I have to wonder if someone doesn't present classical, austrian and keyensian and admit that the truth lies in some combination that we haven't found yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies