Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 01:39 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,818,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
Oh you live in Londonderry I live in county Londonderry.
I had a GF that lived on Londonderry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 01:47 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,380,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
So if you're laughing, fair is fair. What do you think of America? You've said you've visited...
Well I'm not laughing at everyone but some of the replies on this thread is so backwards. So what do I think about America? Well I think its a diverse country with a great mixture of peoples, grand cities and beautiful landscapes and enviroments from the Autumn colours of New England to the Giant redwoods of the pacific west and everything inbetween. However their are so many aspects of America I can't sum it all up!
It seems some people on this forum group Europe as one country rather than multiple very seperate countries.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:24 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
Your a joke.
You cannot judge a whole CONTINENT on your biased newscasts and spout out wild claims about by a population of over 600 million.
No I judging a whole continent based on their history and laws.

I can defend every single one of those claims I made based on laws in countries representing majority of people in Europe. Or based on the historical record of those said country. I'm not referring to individual people except leaders.

tell me which one I'm wrong on or keep quiet. no continent is responsible for more genocidal murders than Europe

Old 03-13-2013, 02:38 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
And you think the animal slaughtering guidelines were created just to stick it to the Jews? Find out how many Jews they have in Finand, and then tell me if they would bother making laws against them.

Total number of Jews in Finland : 1500, or 0.003%.

Snap out of the victim mentality.
because they hate Jews
it's not like a country that banned Jews for most of it's pre-history and handed over Jews to the Nazi's has any motive for anti semitic laws.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:55 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,204,237 times
Quote:
Well I'm not laughing at everyone but some of the replies on this thread is so backwards. So what do I think about America? Well I think its a diverse country with a great mixture of peoples, grand cities and beautiful landscapes and enviroments from the Autumn colours of New England to the Giant redwoods of the pacific west and everything inbetween. However their are so many aspects of America I can't sum it all up!
It seems some people on this forum group Europe as one country rather than multiple very seperate countries.
Don't judge us harshly on that, because our experiences are different than yours. I think it's a hard concept for some Americans to understand because we're so geographically big and diverse, but we're still all Americans--we have big geographic differences, but there's still a common language and at least some common culture. The idea that you can ride across a border and have things be completely different--and then drive or ride another couple of hours and be in yet another completely different country--is a very different experience than what most Americans are used to. In the western portion of my state, you can drive longer than that to find a Walmart. I think the EU is hard for some people here to understand as well, because you're different countries united in a way that looks a little like our different states on the very surface, but couldn't be more different in reality. Some might get it intellectually, but they don't really understand it.

The truth is that it's very hard for many Americans to travel outside of the US--especially to Europe--because it's so expensive for us because of the exchange rate. If we want to stay closer to home, our options are Mexico and Canada. Mexico isn't safe anymore unless you stay locked on a resort, and Canada is so close to us culturally that it's not much of a difference unless you go to Quebec. My family loves to travel, but we wouldn't go as often without having family and friends abroad that we miss and love. We take our children with us so they can visit their family, and we do lots of side trips to see other parts of Europe, but we have to be fairly budget conscious travelers to do it. Lots of people in the US DO travel though--it's just harder for us than it is for you, unless you're really wealthy.

Last edited by mb1547; 03-13-2013 at 03:30 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 04:31 PM

554 posts, read 608,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
What does this American think of Europe?
Well, it is a group of countries WAY over the ocean to the East (or West, depending on how you look at it), that I will never visit, and that my ancestors left a couple hundred years ago, for reasons that they apparently deemed sufficient at the time.
Oh, sure, I would like to visit Ireland, Scotland, and Germany and find cousins that are still there, but that will never happen.
There are only two types of people in the world: those who are intellectually curious, and those who are not.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:30 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
There are only two types of people in the world: those who are intellectually curious, and those who are not.
Yep, and most of the people who know everything about everyone and every culture without having ever studied it infest the Republican Party. That complete lack of introspection or curiosity about the world is why I will never be a conservative, no matter how many millions I earn. Being a know nothing nativist, or hanging out with them, just does not appeal.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:35 AM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times
Quote:

Old 03-14-2013, 01:01 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,855,397 times
I have lived in the UK (England, Scotland) and France.

I'm American but both of my parents are Scottish so I've always had my toe dipped in both cultures. I'm probably more British than I realize considering even in the U.S all of my parents friends are British ex-pats.

In my opinion, Americans are willfully ignorant about Europe. Most Americans don't even have a passport.

But also most Europeans are ignorant about Americans. If you watch British crime TV shows every now and then they have American characters in them. And they are always portrayed as ignorant and bombastic.

I've found the Brits to be pretty anti-American and the French to be oddly pretty pro-American. I hate using these terms anti-american but what I mean by it is if they have some kind of resentment towards you or not. Brits will not hesitate to call you a yank-bastard just because you are American.

Americans are pretty ignorant about the effectiveness of socialized medicine for example. Don't get me wrong, there is no perfect health care system and even socialized medicine has its weaknesses, but the ignorance of Americans on this issue is just astounding. I mean, death panels? c'mon.

Old 03-14-2013, 06:34 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I have lived in the UK (England, Scotland) and France.

I'm American but both of my parents are Scottish so I've always had my toe dipped in both cultures. I'm probably more British than I realize considering even in the U.S all of my parents friends are British ex-pats.

In my opinion, Americans are willfully ignorant about Europe. Most Americans don't even have a passport.

But also most Europeans are ignorant about Americans. If you watch British crime TV shows every now and then they have American characters in them. And they are always portrayed as ignorant and bombastic.

I've found the Brits to be pretty anti-American and the French to be oddly pretty pro-American. I hate using these terms anti-american but what I mean by it is if they have some kind of resentment towards you or not. Brits will not hesitate to call you a yank-bastard just because you are American.

Americans are pretty ignorant about the effectiveness of socialized medicine for example. Don't get me wrong, there is no perfect health care system and even socialized medicine has its weaknesses, but the ignorance of Americans on this issue is just astounding. I mean, death panels? c'mon.
Interesting. I agree that the English, in particular, can be quite arrogant, especially abroad. Not really surprising, as our culture is rooted in British exceptionalism. Though they don't strike me as not interested in the world. I also think the proclivity for bombast and dismissive arrogance is rooted in the Scots-Irish culture, which dominates the American South and so, the Republican Party. They know everything about everything, though most did not go to college or ever travel the world. You see the same pugnacious, blowhard types in Britain, and Ireland, though it is harder to be clueless there, as most have traveled quite a bit.

Not that arrogance does not occur in all of Europe, but the lack of curiosity about the world, coupled with assumed superiority and hostility to other lifestyles is uniquely American (oh, and the Middle East). It is an embarrassment and downright dangerous, frankly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies