Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 06:47 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,822,831 times

Advertisements

I was reading an article about how the rich pay most of the taxes. They mentioned the fact that 47% don't pay income tax (I believe it's closer to 50% now). Many of the comments on the article were about the 47%. There were lot's of misconceptions.

Many people incorrectly believe the 47% include non-workers such as the retired, disabled, unemployed, and even children. No, 47% of all WORKERS don't pay federal income tax.

Many people believe the 47% are all poor. NO WAY! It's mostly a matter of tax credits such as Earned Income Tax Credit, mortgage interest deducion tax credit, and child tax credits. Most working poor without children are tax payers while many who earn higher incomes who have children are part of the 47%.

Another misconception is that Democrats are all to blame for this (and I say that as someone who despises the Dem party). Actually liberal Republicans are even more to blame. For example the EITC started during the Ford administration and the child tax credits doubled under George W Bush.

Probably the biggest misconception of all is that many believe the 47% does not exist. The biggest fools are those in the 53% who are in denial about this. They are being overtaxed while half their neighbors pay nothing.

Many people who commented on the article said they were surprised or even shocked to learn Mitt Romney was right about the 47%. Because the media blasted Romney so hard about his 47% comments the average low information voter actually believed the whole thing was made up. I partly blame the GOP. Instead of being ashamed and running away from the topic they should have informed the 53% that millions and millions of their fellow workers pay no income tax and that the whole system is very unfair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 06:52 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I was reading an article about how the rich pay most of the taxes. They mentioned the fact that 47% don't pay income tax (I believe it's closer to 50% now). Many of the comments on the article were about the 47%. There were lot's of misconceptions.

Many people incorrectly believe the 47% include non-workers such as the retired, disabled, unemployed, and even children. No, 47% of all WORKERS don't pay federal income tax.

Many people believe the 47% are all poor. NO WAY! It's mostly a matter of tax credits such as Earned Income Tax Credit, mortgage interest deducion tax credit, and child tax credits. Most working poor without children are tax payers while many who earn higher incomes who have children are part of the 47%.

Another misconception is that Democrats are all to blame for this (and I say that as someone who despises the Dem party). Actually liberal Republicans are even more to blame. For example the EITC started during the Ford administration and the child tax credits doubled under George W Bush.

Probably the biggest misconception of all is that many believe the 47% does not exist. The biggest fools are those in the 53% who are in denial about this. They are being overtaxed while half their neighbors pay nothing.

Many people who commented on the article said they were surprised or even shocked to learn Mitt Romney was right about the 47%. Because the media blasted Romeny so hard about his 47% comments the average low information voter actually believed the whole thing was made up. I partly blame the GOP. Instead of being ashamed and running away from the topic they should have informed the 53% that millions and millions of their fellow workers pay no income tax and that the whole system is very unfair.
People tried to inform them but the Obama sheep were so busy doing what they were told to do and acting thin skinned just like their president they did exactly what the Dems wanted.

Yes there are a 47% and if a candidate knows that you will not vote for him no matter what he says why in the hell would he waste his money trying. It is that simple but oooh sooo hard for an Obama lover to comprehend.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:56 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:

Many people who commented on the article said they were surprised or even shocked to learn Mitt Romney was right about the 47%. Because the media blasted Romney so hard about his 47% comments the average low information voter actually believed the whole thing was made up. I partly blame the GOP. Instead of being ashamed and running away from the topic they should have informed the 53% that millions and millions of their fellow workers pay no income tax and that the whole system is very unfair.
I think the point people are making is that we should not get a tax refund for more money then we paid in taxes.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
I partly blame the GOP. Instead of being ashamed and running away from the topic they should have informed the 53% that millions and millions of their fellow workers pay no income tax and that the whole system is very unfair.
Actually you are correct. The GOP should never had tried to apologize. At least Romney is smart enough to know not to throw money away when it would have been ineffective in reaching the goal.

Old 03-12-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I think the point people are making is that we should not get a tax refund for more money then we paid in taxes.
I agree. And these very people who get more money than they get were the very people cheering Obama on as he said pay your fair share.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:07 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I agree. And these very people who get more money than they get were the very people cheering Obama on as he said pay your fair share.
Getting more money in a "tax refund" than you paid in is income redistribution, and if we are going to do that I want to call it what it is instead of sugar coating it. They don't want the 53% to pay its fair share, they want us to pay our and their share. I don't mind the 47% paying a lower percentage than me; heck, I would be just fine if they paid a measly dollar a year. The "refund" is what gets me steaming though.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Getting more money in a "tax refund" than you paid in is income redistribution, and if we are going to do that I want to call it what it is instead of sugar coating it. They don't want the 53% to pay its fair share, they want us to pay our and their share. I don't mind the 47% paying a lower percentage than me; heck, I would be just fine if they paid a measly dollar a year. The "refund" is what gets me steaming though.
Actually after the "pay your fair share" BS especially when they don't pay a dime, heck some don't even work their fair share and never did but had the audacity to demand that other working people pay more in taxes. So whatever happens now, I know they pay the consequences of their vote and I have no sympathy for them.

They are no better than politicians who always have their hands in other peoples pockets.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:32 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,546,690 times
Quote:

You make some good points. The thing I didn't understand about Bush's second series of tax cuts is why he didn't simply propose a small tax increase on those earning above $1,000,000 to help balance the cuts for the working class.

Wouldn't that have gone a long way towards dampening the criticism that they were just tax cuts "for the rich"?

Old 10-26-2013, 06:50 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

Government redistributes income all the time, and some of that redistribution is upward. Since government has made home ownership not scalable, millions of Americans are relegated to paying a rent premium (a regulatory tax) and a tax premium for their housing. So a lot of people are effectively paying more in taxes than whatever piddly tax refund they are getting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies