Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you pay the price for American goods?
Yes, of course. 45 61.64%
No, I determine what I buy by price. If a sweater from China cost $20 compared to the $50 American made one, I'll choose the Chinese made. 16 21.92%
Different Option. 12 16.44%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2013, 09:11 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
If I pay more for something made in the USA I am subsidizing bad liberal policies so no I am not willing to pay more. You set taxes and make expensive regulations that drive the cost of goods up and then tell me it is my patriotic duty to support other Americans by buying them? No, sorry. Not falling for that. Take out the 50,000 pages of regulations on American business and then their stuff won't cost as much. I feel no responsibility to pay for Democrat over-regulation. Especially when they are also over-taxing me. It's not my fault the government is making American companies not competitive in the marketplace.
You don't want any regulations or just those that persuade companies to move abroad? Companies that ruin our environment or unfairly treat workers, should be brought back to the US just so people can have jobs? I'm not for that, I want regulation just not over-regulation, I don't think the US is over-regulated just yet, the EU is and I wouldn't blame a company from the EU to a place with laxed regulation. I think people just have to be willing to pay for the price of goods made in America (or the USA for those whom pretend they don't understand what people are talking about when someone says America), but the companies also have to bring more quality into their products as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 10:56 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post
You don't want any regulations or just those that persuade companies to move abroad? Companies that ruin our environment or unfairly treat workers, should be brought back to the US just so people can have jobs? I'm not for that, I want regulation just not over-regulation, I don't think the US is over-regulated just yet, the EU is and I wouldn't blame a company from the EU to a place with laxed regulation. I think people just have to be willing to pay for the price of goods made in America (or the USA for those whom pretend they don't understand what people are talking about when someone says America), but the companies also have to bring more quality into their products as well.
From Are Regulations Stifling US Industry? | Regulations content from IndustryWeek

Quote:
Manufacturing leaders such as Liveris are quick to point out that they are not against all regulations, but they argue that companies are increasingly confronted by a complex array of regulations that impose ever higher costs on U.S. producers. At a time when the nation needs to strengthen its competitiveness, they warn, regulations instead result in unintended consequences such as lower productivity, less employment, fewer exports and less innovation.

As an example, he related how the company, with 32 employees and $5 million in sales in 2012, had received a letter in 2010 from the Treasury Department imposing a $15,000 fine because Marlin Steel Wire omitted "a third signature on a 20-page form when we created a 401(k) plan for our employees." After several weeks of communication, the company eventually paid a smaller penalty, but Greenblatt said "valuable resources were diverted away from our business activities because of a missed signature on a form."
The fine for that missing signature would have paid for half a year's salary for a middle class employee. I think a fifteen thousand dollar fine on a small business of 32 people for a missing signature is over-regulation.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:04 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,438,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
From Are Regulations Stifling US Industry? | Regulations content from IndustryWeek

The fine for that missing signature would have paid for half a year's salary for a middle class employee. I think a fifteen thousand dollar fine on a small business of 32 people for a missing signature is over-regulation.
Agreed, that's over-regulation and if I were a business owner I'd contest the fine. My question is what type of regulation would you want to repeal? You and I both wouldn't mind repealing fines for something as simple as a missing signature, but what else would keep American companies away that you'd like to repeal? Workmen compensation? EPA limits? Minimum wage? What? Or do you just want everything repealed and let us have a completely free-market? That would bring jobs back but could hurt us as well.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:49 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 18 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,531,868 times
Quote:

The image above is from a store I was shopping at today named "American Apparel" and I couldn't help but to notice the price of the clothes weren't extremely high but they weren't H&M low either, for a simple pink button-down it was about $52. That got me thinking, do you all mind spending the extra dollar for something that's American made? I just purchased a pair of New Balance the other day and found they were made in America and plenty of people in the DC region wear them (I'm not sure if because of fashion, the brand, comfort, because there made in the USA, or what) so although they are a bit pricey, people will pay the price. Other companies should brand themselves as American companies a bit better and I bet their sells will go up and people, such as myself wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks for it.

I feel a lot better paying $52 for a simple button-down as opposed to a sweatshop made Banana Republic sweater (although it's my favorite brand, its clothes aren't made in a regulated environment) that may cost $40. So how are you guys when it comes to paying for something American made? Will you pay a few extra dollars for it or are you one of those whom complain about America sending all jobs to China but don't want to pay the price that American goods command?

And this isn't limited to clothes, if Apple decides to bring back its full manufacturing center of MacBooks, iPhones, etc. and the price they command is $100 more, I'll pay it to know its not made by someone who is being forced against their will to do it. I just don't promote the idea of sweatshops anymore; well I never did but I'm trying to buy more American these days although its hard to at times, not because of price but because it's simply not there to be purchased.

To mods: please leave this in the political and controversies section as I'm asking the question to those whom are interested in politics, not fashion, electronics, etc.
Have you never looked at the original price of your clothing ? I work in a department store and i can tell you that 52 dollars does not even reach the median for original prices. Our men's polo shirts start at 45 dollars and go all the way up to 110. went to my closet just to see where they were made.... India. So technically its cheaper to buy American than it is to buy Indian.

our Women's button downs start at $60( again these are original prices, not sales prices)

As for Apple products, I was in CAD Academy/Video Production/Career Tech in high school. i was the Student producer for all our video announcements,pep rallies,special announcements etc... and loved using iMac/iMovie to do all of it , however, I think a windows based computer with a decent movie maker software would have been enough and saved the school at least 1,000 dollars. The computers are nice, but they are way to costly(overpriced) and have competitors that are just as good. The same goes for iPhones,iPads and iPods.

I saw a kid make 20 minute short film at my college with a windows based computer that only cost him 900 dollars(including the film editor). The reason im mentioning this is because he proudly bragged that his computer was American made.

Is it really that it will cost more, or is it simply that these companies have no promotion. I remember ABC doing a special on this and saying it was cheaper to buy american as well.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:22 AM

15,526 posts, read 10,491,591 times
I don't buy any clothing from China because it's crap. Most of the stuff I wear is made in America, Italy, Austria and so on. It is expensive, but I always wait until it's goes on sale. I've had a couple of T's made in Vietnam and Mexico, but they didn't wear as well. I've been buying retro American dinnerware/glassware and kitchen gadgets online or at estate sales. It's much better than the junk they make today.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:58 AM

3,493 posts, read 4,670,678 times
I'm not financially supporting a country that doesn't support me financially.
As it is, I'm poor, in debt, and looking at 40 years of wage servitude, so no, I don't buy American if it's more expensive. I won't until I have the money to...and I don't apologize for it.
Don't like it?
Pay me.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:02 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,379,671 times
This poll and thread is like saying, "do you like puppies?". Most everyone will say of course. When it comes time to clean the poo up though.....

Seriously, does anyone look at the labels of what they buy to see where its made?

Old 03-18-2013, 05:07 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
I see a pair of shoes for $75 and look inside. Made in China. I refuse to believe that we can't profitably make shoes here for $75.

It's something that has been predicted by many. We get cheap items from China putting businesses out of business here. Once out of business the prices go up for the Chinese crap.

Old 03-18-2013, 05:40 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,461,557 times
Quote:
Agreed, that's over-regulation and if I were a business owner I'd contest the fine. My question is what type of regulation would you want to repeal? You and I both wouldn't mind repealing fines for something as simple as a missing signature, but what else would keep American companies away that you'd like to repeal? Workmen compensation? EPA limits? Minimum wage? What? Or do you just want everything repealed and let us have a completely free-market? That would bring jobs back but could hurt us as well.
I believe most of the problems come from the EPA going overboard. I couldn't give specific ones I would repeal because I'm not involved enough to know specific laws.

When people talk about offshoring what they mention is the amount of money the American worker makes compared to the foreign worker. What is generally (in fact, almost never) mentioned is that American workers are the most productive workers on the entire planet. What a company is interested in isn't the amount of money paid to a worker per hour, it is the total cost of bringing a product to market.

A given Chinese manufacturing worker produces $12,600 worth of output, while an American worker produces $104,600 worth of output. So it doesn't matter if you can pay the Chinese employee a quarter of what you pay the American employee because the American produces nearly 5 times the output. Plus you have to deal with all of the administration and transportation costs of sending the order to China and then having the goods exported from there and imported to market here.

So it is the taxes and regulations involved in producing goods here that drives much of the offshoring and making American made goods not competitive. Decades ago, before all these regulations were put in place, America was the manufacturing capital of the world. Now that's all gone. America has the capacity to outproduce the world, but the government has made it so burdensome to do it that it becomes more financially profitable to get a Chinese person to do it and then ship it back here to sell than just build it and sell it right here in America.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:40 AM

160 posts, read 126,846 times
Quote:
Good god dude, you're tall. I'm only 6 foot so its pretty easy to find clothes for me, but finding American clothes is a different story especially since I'm into high-end fashion.

I don't want kids to starve in China, I want kids to stop working at 7 years old. You can support that non-sense to save a few dollars, but I won't, at least I'll try not to. I specifically said I'll buy from other countries as well as long as they are NATO or have a good humans right record, but say if South Korea's Samsung had a TV for $1,200 and America's Apple had a TV for $1,200 as well, I'd buy the American first although I love both countries, America comes first in my eyes. But if the Apple TV were $1,500, and the Samsung were still $1,200 I'd probably go with the Samsung. When it comes to clothes its a different story as of today, I'm trying to buy strictly American clothing from now on although it will be a challenge and costly of course, I'll try to buy it.
My motivation is simple, I would buy American goods because it benefits this country in so many ways. But I live abroad so it's difficult for me to do.

What makes me sad, when I come home I do not see much intention to do the same around myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies