Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 PM

15,086 posts, read 8,631,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
LOLOL. Have you ever heard of antibiotic resistance ???

Yes, evolution is occurring RIGHT NOW. Daily.
Correction ... Doctor .... that's called adaptation. As a Doctor, you should have been taught that in basic biology. What most lay people don't realize ... as well as lay people claiming not to be lay people .... is that bacteria have their own immune systems too ... like we humans. Theirs adapts to threats, which explains antibiotic resistance. Most doctors understand that the greatest contributor to the development of antibiotic resistant bacteria is the misuse of antibiotics, which allows the bacteria an opportunity to adapt, and then pass along the resistant genes to future bacteria.

If you keep up to date, you would know that recent research has uncovered viruses borrowing a bacteria's immune system.

Virus steals bacteria immune system and kills it

Now, if someone tried to punch you in the nose .. and you raised your arm and blocked it ... would you call that "evolution" too?

Old 03-13-2013, 04:53 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
There is nothing wrong with teaching evolution as a theory, along with creation as a theory. Neither should be taught as proven fact, because both are unproveable.
No, a scientific theory with an incredible amount of supporting evidence is NOT the same as a fairy-tale written thousands of years ago by a stone-age nomadic tribe.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:56 PM

554 posts, read 608,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Correction ... Doctor ....
I thought you had no need to view my bio ?

Look, believe what you want ... it's difficult to argue with obstinate ignorance.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM

37,112 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
... because mutation is by nature, subtractive, not additive. And it takes little mathematical prowess to understand that you cannot expect a long period of successive subtractions to result in "more".
A fallacy. Mutations can be additive, subtractive, or neutral.

Mutation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
Creationism is as valid as my belief that aliens visited Earth and seeded this planet with life, including us.

Like in Prometheus. Lol...
I don't see any difference in either, except who we call the beings who did it.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:59 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I do not see any other way of reasonably explaining the biological history of life so I totally agree with teaching evolution as part of a science curriculum.

I object to teaching Creationism or Intelligent Design as anything but another myth in a comparative religion or as delusion in a Psyche class.
You exist, yet you deny creationism.

Old 03-13-2013, 05:02 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We should teach the one involving DNA and not the rest of the Religious nonesense.
Where did DNA come from?

Old 03-13-2013, 05:07 PM

554 posts, read 608,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Where did DNA come from?
The Big Bang

Old 03-13-2013, 05:08 PM

37,963 posts, read 22,147,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Where did DNA come from?
DNA was produced just as spontaneously, and coincidentally at the very same time that as life was, funny how the dice rolled on that one, eh?

Old 03-13-2013, 05:11 PM

15,086 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Who says evolution has stopped? There are areas where you can see it happening right under your nose.

http://www.baylorhealth.edu/Document...ijian_bapr.pdf

http://academic.evergreen.edu/curric...cturenotes.pdf

"The speed with which allopolyploidy can produce new species is illustrated by the salsifies (Tragopon), which have developed new species in about 50 years. (See Figure 24.8.)
• Three diploid species of salsify were introduced into North America early in the twentieth century.
• Two tetraploid hybrids between species of the original three were reported in 1950
• Both tetraploid species are now more widespread than the diploid parent species."

"We can observe speciation in progress

• Many examples of populations at different stages on the way to complete reproductive isolation can be found.
• The picture-winged fruit fly, Rhagoletis pomenella, provides an example of speciation in progress.
• Until the mid-1800s, these fruit flies courted, mated, and deposited their eggs only on hawthorn fruits.
• About 150 years ago, commercial apple orchards were planted in the Hudson River Valley, near the natural habitat of Rhagoletis
• Apple trees are closely related to hawthorns, and some of the female Rhagoletis laid their eggs on apples instead of hawthorns, perhaps mistakenly.
• Although fewer larvae survived on apples than on hawthorns, those that did recognized the odor of the apples and thus sought out apple trees for mating when they emerged as adults.
• The two types of Rhagoletis that now exist in the Hudson River valley—one that feeds on apples and one that feeds on hawthorns—may be on their way to becoming distinct species.
• Reproductive isolation may develop rapidly or slowly depending on the species. "
You post this tripe from the same tripe factory that I reject as pure garbage and double talk, and you're gonna be surprised if I HIGHLIGHT THE NONSENSE PART? Come on .. get real. Why do you even go there with me anymore? You should know by now it's not going to fly!!

POINT: The two types of Rhagoletis now exist in the Hudson River valley—one that feeds on apples and one that feeds on hawthorns—may be on their way to becoming distinct species.

One bug that learned or found it necessary to expand it's diet to include a second type of fruit, doesn't constitute a change in freaking species , and it's an absurd load of nonsense to even make the insinuation. That's probably the reason for the qualifier "may be on the way" ... which avoids the outright lie were they to have said "is on the way". This type of double talk might work on the very unsophisticated audience to whcih such nonsense is obviously targeting ... but don't insult me with it.

If you have one kid that likes twinkies and the other than likes cupcakes ... they're still the same species. If you had one in the hospital and the other in the back of the cab on the way to the hospital ... they are still the same species.

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-25-2013 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: rude
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies