Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
You know ... it's impossible to debate someone that is either deliberately deceptive, or just doesn't even understand the argument. You post this tripe from the same tripe factory that I reject as pure garbage and double talk, and you're gonna be surprised if I HIGHLIGHT THE NONSENSE PART? Come on .. get real. Why do you even go there with me anymore? You should know by now it's not going to fly!!

POINT: The two types of Rhagoletis now exist in the Hudson River valley—one that feeds on apples and one that feeds on hawthorns—may be on their way to becoming distinct species.

One bug that learned or found it necessary to expand it's diet to include a second type of fruit, doesn't constitute a change in freaking species , and it's an absurd load of nonsense to even make the insinuation. That's probably the reason for the qualifier "may be on the way" ... which avoids the outright lie were they to have said "is on the way". This type of double talk might work on the very unsophisticated audience to whcih such nonsense is obviously targeting ... but don't insult me with it.

If you have one kid that likes twinkies and the other than likes cupcakes ... they're still the same species. If you had one in the hospital and the other in the back of the cab on the way to the hospital ... they are still the same species.
"You know ... it's impossible to debate someone that is either deliberately deceptive, or just doesn't even understand the argument."

Old 03-15-2013, 06:59 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
The reason teaching evolution is controversial is because conservatives have decided that it is a threat to their religious beliefs. Sad but the truth.
There are very, very few fundamentalists.

How does evolution in any way threaten my religious beliefs?

I am a Roman Catholic.....I believe in evolution. I also believe in creation.

Once again, something cannot evolve if it were never created.

Lefties fear the teaching of creationism (which BTW, 80% of the humans on the planet believe) because they fear that religion may overcome peoples belief in the state as their God.

That's why religion is banned and churches, mosques and temples are destroyed in communist nations.

Verifiable, documented proof is very easy to find.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:02 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,051,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
You exist, yet you deny evolution.

Have you checked out your tail bone lately?
I think you are the 3rd person to say that to me.

Once more....I believe in evolution.

Evolution doesn't explain creation, and creation doesn't discredit evolution.

One more time.....something must be created first in order to evolve.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:07 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,496,025 times
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
- Charles Darwin, Descent of Man, Introduction (1871)

"Creationism" is religious doctrine and not science; and the religious proselytizers need to face up to the fact. Darwin's theory of evolution has been well established by science. Indeed, we are on the threshold of harnessing the genetic code, the very engine of creation. Surely, we can sustain progress without casting aspersions on the truth. It is time that religion cease being the altar of superstition upon which knowledge and reason are sacrificed for the sake of ignorance and stupidity.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why teach creation?

My stance is that neither evolution or creationism should be taught in public schools.

Schools should teach natural history(biology without evolution) and leave the controversial stuff for elective courses of study(college).
It's not really possible to teach biology without evolution. Evolution is not 'controversial' at all. Creationists just claim it is.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
We all know when the king speaks, it is truth. Why we only need to look back to Henry the VIII to understand how such rulings are as a matter of fact, set in stone and the solidification of truth. All hail the law, for it has spoken... and we must serve the law, for it commands us!
You disagree with the US Constitution?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Giant View Post
The bible says otherwise. Your science books have no merit here.
Science books have 'no merit' in a school science class?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:47 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
This is off topic, but my biggest problem with creationism it's a very abstract idea and no religious entity has ever pointed at the creator and said "THAT" created us, and proved themselves correct. All religious people have is the assumption that there is a creator.

...Not only that, but then there are all sorts of rituals and rules that the religious entity expects us to follow, based on the words and thoughts of men.

...And these rules differ through out the religious entities and many of them cannot agree with each other.

...Science on the other hand points at something and says that is that, this is what it does, do with it whatever you wish. If science is wrong about something it says, that was wrong, this is the correct thing instead.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
Even If the Bible didn't exist, there is no evidence to support the theory of evolution as Darwin himself readily admitted. There are no transitional forms to show that any species evolved from any other. I don't see how the most resolute atheist can accept such a flawed theory. There is no evolution. There is only extinction and survival.
It's your understanding of evolution that is flawed, not evolution itself.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:54 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Which creation theory should we teach? Judeo-Christian, Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist?

There are more than one.
Teach them all. Knowledge is good and those are important influences on people of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies