Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 10:08 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,071,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound of Reason View Post

Third, the Earth is not billions of years old, and man has not been around for millions of years. There's a lot of problems arguing with such, things that can easily disprove such a theory, whether it be by way of the Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, gravitational pull, etc. Absolute dating techniques are not reliable. The Flood laid down the layers of sediment which contain all the fossils (a lot of organisms died in the flood). Sediment deposition is not uniform but ebbs and flows and can lay many layers of sediment down rather quickly. Fossilization does not take millions of years, or even thousands of years. It can take place in under one hundred years.

The geneology of the Bible going back to Adam allows one to estimate the Earth to be approximately six thousand years old.
It is amazing that some people still believe this sort of drivel. These same people will tell that a great flood covered all the earth with water, that dinosaurs and man were all created at the creation, and roamed the earth together, and that evolution is a fairy tale, and they will do it with a straight face! Brainwashing at its "finest".

Old 03-16-2013, 11:01 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
An appeal to magic is not a way around anything.

Endogenous retroviruses prove that humans and chimpanzees share a common ancestor. Would you consider that proof of enough evolution to settle the issue?
I consider the argument is scientifically true, but it is not logically true in the context of evolution versus Creationism. As a disinterested observer, it isn't compelling proof.

If someone said "I don't think evolution occurs" and you showed me that then I would say yes evolution occurs.

But when someone says "An intelligent designer created the species" and you show me that, then I say "where's your proof the designer didn't just create the species with the DNA similarities already there"

Old 03-16-2013, 11:08 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,008,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Do you also believe that the earth is only about 6000 years old?
No - but I do not buy that is a few billion years old either, or whatever lunacy that evolutionists believe.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:11 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,077,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
I consider the argument is scientifically true, but it is not logically true in the context of evolution versus Creationism. As a disinterested observer, it isn't compelling proof.
Once an appeal to magic is made, logic is no longer relevant. Your comment here is, frankly, meaningless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2
But when someone says "An intelligent designer created the species" and you show me that, then I say "where's your proof the designer didn't just create the species with the DNA similarities already there"
Identical ERVs are not "DNA similarities." They are records of a unique historical event.

For any "ID" proponent to make the argument you've made here, they must posit a deliberately deceptive designer. Such a position is anathema to them, as evidenced by the fact when it was pointed out that if the universe is only 6,000 years old, the information of historical events (supernovae, galactic collisions, etc.) carried by starlight from farther than 6,000 light years away would have had to be deliberately faked by God, their ad hoc explanation was to declare the speed of light to not be constant.

It was pure solipsism.

If Christian and Muslim creationists are willing to concede that their God is a liar, I'd be as content with that outcome as any other.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
It depends on the DNA in question. If that DNA is an identical endogenous retrovirus, it absolutely proves common ancestry.
Do you always believe everything that you are told?

Old 03-16-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Do you always believe everything that you are told?
No. Do you always believe everything you read?

Old 03-16-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
No. Do you always believe everything you read?
No.

I believe things that have supporting evidence - and there is zero evidence that ERV'S prove common ancestry.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
No.
Except the Bible, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier
I believe things that have supporting evidence - and there is zero evidence that ERV'S prove common ancestry.
You have completely stopped even trying to make sense.

ERVs are the evidence.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Except the Bible, right?
The Bible has supporting evidence.

Why don't you start by citing the parts in which you find doubt for the veracity theerof?

Quote:
You have completely stopped even trying to make sense.

ERVs are the evidence.

You haven't even attempted to think critically about the subject of ERV's and have clearly bought evolutionary theory hook, line, and sinker, which hints that I was right that perhaps you believe everything that you are told.

If you had considered the concept rationally, you would not have made such a blatantly biased comment.

Old 03-16-2013, 11:30 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
You haven't even attempted to think critically...which hints that I was right that perhaps you believe everything that you are told.

If you had considered the concept rationally, you would not have made such a blatantly biased comment.
Oh jeez, man.

The Irony Meter is off the charts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies