Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2013, 06:42 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,381,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
To confirm, you hold as true that man and dinosaur, such as T-Rex, walked the earth at the same moment in time? Yes or No?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yes, of course they did.

No one with a rational brain cell active in their cranium believes otherwise.
Quote:
Nothing existed 100 - 200 million years a go - not even time.

Where do you come up with such nonsense?

Old 03-17-2013, 07:05 AM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
What would the creationist curriculum look like in public schools, what scientific facts would be used?

Old 03-17-2013, 07:12 AM

334 posts, read 450,970 times
I am a man of science AND a "Christian" and have NO problem blending Creationism with the Big Bang and Evolution.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:51 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,311,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TapperCheck View Post
I am a man of science AND a "Christian" and have NO problem blending Creationism with the Big Bang and Evolution.
As a man of science what evidence do you have for creationism?

Old 03-17-2013, 10:04 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineComedy View Post
As a man of science what evidence do you have for creationism?
This is the one question the creationists always, without question, fail to answer. If they want science to take their claims seriously then they MUST produce evidence. Otherwise, their "theory" will always fall within the realm of superstition and pseudoscience.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:14 AM

15,070 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What would the creationist curriculum look like in public schools, what scientific facts would be used?
I'm not in favor of teaching anything in public schools that claim unproven or unprovable theories as proven facts, because we shouldn't call lying to children, educating them. This would necessarily rule out "creationism" and "Darwinism" and "Intelligent Design". However, I am in favor of teaching children about all three theories, as long as it is done honestly ... i.e. taught that while all three philosophies have their supporters, none of them are proven, and must be left up to the individual to decide for themselves what to believe. That to me is true education .... false education, or indoctrination masquerading as education, teaches children what to think and believe, rather than how to think, and form their own opinions and beliefs.

Those who insist that only one of these three theories be taught, and presented as undeniable fact regarding the origin of life, are lying and engaging in deliberate censorship, whether that be religious fundamentalists, or the equally dogmatic ideologues in the evolution camp.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
There is nothing wrong with teaching evolution in science class. Creationism, on the other hand, is not science and has no business being in any science class. It is not a scientific theory. Creationism is at best a philosophical idea and at worst a much of nonsense. Creationism has no scientific basis and, therefore, has no right to be in a science class. It is not an alternative theory like alternative theories of particle physics. Evolution should be taught on its evidence and facts. No good science teacher should be teaching anything as truth or any overall theory as fact. Even laws should not be though as fact or truth; at best laws are situational fact. So if people are mad about evolution being taught as fact or truth then the answer is to fire the teacher who does not understand the basic tenets of scientific theory, not to introduce a religious or philosophical theory to compete with science.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:53 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,732,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
I'm not in favor of teaching anything in public schools that claim unproven or unprovable theories as proven facts, because we shouldn't call lying to children, educating them. This would necessarily rule out "creationism" and "Darwinism" and "Intelligent Design". However, I am in favor of teaching children about all three theories, as long as it is done honestly ... i.e. taught that while all three philosophies have their supporters, none of them are proven, and must be left up to the individual to decide for themselves what to believe. That to me is true education .... false education, or indoctrination masquerading as education, teaches children what to think and believe, rather than how to think, and form their own opinions and beliefs.

Those who insist that only one of these three theories be taught, and presented as undeniable fact regarding the origin of life, are lying and engaging in deliberate censorship, whether that be religious fundamentalists, or the equally dogmatic ideologues in the evolution camp.
Then, like I said earlier, produce some PROOF of your claims and we might take you seriously. As of yet the only physical, tangible evidence we have points to the fact that life on this planet is the result of millions of years of change. Nothing has ever been found to contradict that fact...NOTHING.

Teaching science with anything other than physical, observable evidence to back it up would indeed be lying to children. Is that what you want? You want a theory taught to our children that has no supporting evidence? If you religionists had your way our education system would be dead last in the world. That, my friend, is why the founding fathers thought it so important to keep religion OUT of government.

You want to teach your children that the world was made by an imaginary sky fairy? Go ahead, knock yourself out. You're free to do whatever you want in your own home but don't try to bring that tripe into our public school system.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:53 AM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Yes, of course they did.

No one with a rational brain cell active in their cranium believes otherwise.
If humans and dinosaurs co-inhabited the earth, why do we find no human fossils with dinosaur fossils? Any place on earth?

Old 03-17-2013, 11:02 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
There is nothing wrong with teaching evolution in science class. Creationism, on the other hand, is not science and has no business being in any science class. It is not a scientific theory. Creationism is at best a philosophical idea and at worst a much of nonsense. Creationism has no scientific basis and, therefore, has no right to be in a science class. It is not an alternative theory like alternative theories of particle physics. Evolution should be taught on its evidence and facts. No good science teacher should be teaching anything as truth or any overall theory as fact. Even laws should not be though as fact or truth; at best laws are situational fact. So if people are mad about evolution being taught as fact or truth then the answer is to fire the teacher who does not understand the basic tenets of scientific theory, not to introduce a religious or philosophical theory to compete with science.
Most of the vocal anti-evolution proponents in this thread(including myself) have stated that neither evolution or creationism should be taught in public schools.

It amuses me that evolutionists always try to bring in creationism as a support for their theory of evolution.

If evolution is so solid, then it should stand on it s own two feet, without the neccesity of pitting it against any competing idea.

Evolutionists - prove that ToE is vaild - period.

I know that you can't - it is a completely unprovable theory, based entirely on conjecture and supposition.

It is unscientific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies