Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:50 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,472,823 times

Advertisements

I would love to be a Libertarian but due to our state and country caters to a two party system and lobbyists its hard for a Libertarian to make a difference this country needs.

When I was young I was a republican just short of joining Log Cabin Republicans but that party has become extreme right and is imploding itself.

So I have been a democrat for the social issues but they are ticking bomb to themselves too with free for all spending.

I think with the grid lock we have in Washington it time for more people to be Liberarians and have a balance 3 party system.

I have always believe in fiscal conservatism and some what but not all the time socially liberal on issues.

Since republicans have the Log Cabins the gay libertarians we will be called the Purple House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 02:51 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,164,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
And they complain that gay marriage is illegal. Which it aint. It's perfectly legal anywhere in the U.S.

And they compare themselves to the blacks fighting for Civil Rights or Jews during NAZI Germany. lols. Like not getting the feds to recognize your marriage is equivalent to either of those.

Victims.
Is gay marriage legal in Wisconsin? Can two gays legally get married in Wisconsin & have the government look at them, nod & say yes, we recognize your marriage? Now, is hetero marriage legal in Wisconsin? If a hetero couple moves to say Idaho, will their hetero marriage done in Wisconsin be recognized & will they receive all the benefits of marriage in Idaho? Your doublespeak is astounding.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:44 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,193,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Is gay marriage legal in Wisconsin? Can two gays legally get married in Wisconsin & have the government look at them, nod & say yes, we recognize your marriage? Now, is hetero marriage legal in Wisconsin? If a hetero couple moves to say Idaho, will their hetero marriage done in Wisconsin be recognized & will they receive all the benefits of marriage in Idaho? Your doublespeak is astounding.
Until we get rid of marriage benefits altogether, the only answer is for the state to recognize gay marriage equally, and extend to them the exact same legal recognition. Getting the state out of marriage altogether is a separate issue, it's unlikely to happen because of the supposed benefits to society that come with legally binding people together as family. The financial benefits could go easily(many would disagree, I'm sure) but there are next of kin issues, there are many reasons people want their spouse legally recognized as family.

Last edited by detshen; 03-13-2013 at 03:56 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 03:50 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,058 times
Quote:
You are the one doing the doublespeak.

Legal means that it is not prohibited by law. Is gay marriage in Wisconsin prohibited by law? No. So it is not illegal.

What you are are saying is that certain states recognize some contracts and other states don't. Same as I am saying. That doesn't mean the act (or contract) is illegal.

It's amazing that people think that because the government doesn't give their blessing ons something it magically becomes illegal. Pathetic. Wanting govt approval of one's life.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:54 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,164,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
You are the one doing the doublespeak.

Legal means that it is not prohibited by law. Is gay marriage in Wisconsin prohibited by law? No. So it is not illegal.

What you are are saying is that certain states recognize some contracts and other states don't. Same as I am saying. That doesn't mean the act (or contract) is illegal.

It's amazing that people think that because the government doesn't give their blessing ons something it magically becomes illegal. Pathetic. Wanting govt approval of one's life.
Gay marriage is BANNED in Wisconsin. Definition of ban/banned:
: to prohibit especially by legal means <ban discrimination>; also: to prohibit the use, performance, or distribution of <ban a book> <ban a pesticide>

I didn't realize this was so complicated for you.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:14 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,459,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
Until we get rid of marriage benefits altogether, the only answer is for the state to recognize gay marriage equally, and extend to them the exact same legal recognition. Getting the state out of marriage altogether is a separate issue, it's unlikely to happen because of the supposed benefits to society that come with legally binding people together as family. The financial benefits could go easily(many would disagree, I'm sure) but there are next of kin issues, there are many reasons people want their spouse legally recognized as family.
Given that "if you subsidize something you will get more of it"

Given that married people are less often in poverty

Given that a single household uses less resources than two households and married couples are more likely to live together than unmarried couples

Given that children statistically do better in two parent households

Given that married people are statistically happier and healthier

I see a good argument can be made for financial incentives to get married.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:24 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,318,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
It's more because the GOP is so virulently anti-gay, that gays end up being Democrats by default.
It's not "the GOP" which is anti-gay; only its Traditionalist/Fundamentalst wing, who are easily demonized by Lefty ideologues, who seek to lead their following around by the nose every bit as much as do the leaders of the Fundamentalist know-nothings
Quote:

Like it or not, libertarianism is still a fringe political movement -- not just for gays, but for everyone. You might as well ask "why aren't more people libertarian?". The idea that gays gravitate toward liberalism because we want "affirmative action" is just ludicrous.
The Libertarian Party's founders' first major dispute was with the Traditionalists seeking to control the usually campus-centered activist groups from which many Libertarians emerged after reading Rand, Rothbard, Greenspan, Milton Friedman and the like in the late Sixties. Can you name a single instance in which the LBGT movement crossed swords with another prominent group with the Democratic coalition??

It would appear to me that you are the one who is content to let other people make your decisions for you. While I pesonally don't see why anyone would want to ingest a stupefactant, my local Liberatian activist group has a quite cordial association with NORML, for example.
Quote:

And besides, many self-proclaimed libertarians are actually stealth Republicans.
Not so much "stealth-Republicans" as "anti-Democrats": we understand clearly which of the two major parties has very few positions compatible with ours.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 03-13-2013 at 04:35 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 04:32 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,512,058 times
Quote:
Gay marriage is BANNED in Wisconsin. Definition of ban/banned:
: to prohibit especially by legal means <ban discrimination>; also: to prohibit the use, performance, or distribution of <ban a book> <ban a pesticide>

I didn't realize this was so complicated for you.
Here is a website that lists some places that you can have a same-sex wedding in Wisconsin.

So, even if it is banned it isn't enforced as the government knows what goes on in these places. They aint hiding it. Which means it aint banned or illegal.

Wisconsin Gay Wedding Vendors - Purple Unions Gay Wedding, Lesbian Wedding & Civil Unions Directory

Old 03-13-2013, 04:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,459,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Not so much "stealth-Republicans" as "anti-Democrats": we understand clearly which of the two major parties has very few positions compatible with ours.
I find this seems to confuse number of liberals. "why aren't with us? the republicans oppose you on a, b, and c"

And it's like "yes but you oppose us on d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, and p"

They don't seem to get it.

Old 03-13-2013, 04:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,036,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
It's more because the GOP is so virulently anti-gay, that gays end up being Democrats by default.

Like it or not, libertarianism is still a fringe political movement -- not just for gays, but for everyone. You might as well ask "why aren't more people libertarian?". The idea that gays gravitate toward liberalism because we want "affirmative action" is just ludicrous.

And besides, many self-proclaimed libertarians are actually stealth Republicans.
My stance has evolved dramatically over the past few years.

Knock yourself out marrying whomever you want, how many you want and at where you want.

It will not devalue my marriage one bit.

You will see the GOP in its current form evolve into the Libertarian party.....the momentum cannot be stopped.

When you have politicians saying "yes, you have my support to marry whomever you want, as long as the taxpayer is kept out of it." and "you have my support to do what you want with your body, as long as you keep the taxpayer out of it." and "have as much unprotected sex as you want, just leave the taxpayer out of it." you'll vote for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies