Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 12:43 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
That's funny because here in California I have been working all year just to pay my taxes, I won't actually earn a cent until April 20th thanks to the tax and spend liberals in the state and federal government.
However, after April 20th you will be earning far more than "a cent."

Do you like living in this country? Do you like having highways, police departments, fire departments, etc., etc.? Well, you are paying for those things too with your tax money.

Oh. Do you not have to pay taxes when conservatives have power?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 12:47 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
That's funny because here in California I have been working all year just to pay my taxes, I won't actually earn a cent until April 20th thanks to the tax and spend liberals in the state and federal government.

BTW, you still havnt responded to the "culture of poverty" articles I posted for you to read.
April 20th? Ha! Between federal and state and property taxes and gas taxes and every other silly tax they vote in it's more like September 20th. Of the following year.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:52 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post

Do you like living in this country? Do you like having highways, police departments, fire departments, etc., etc.? Well, you are paying for those things too with your tax money.

I don't have a problem with government programs that benifit the entire population, I have a problem with spending for personal gain, especially when it is abused by so many. I also complain about what I have to pay when republicans are in charge.

And April 20th is the cut off for income taxes. After that I get the pleasure to pay for all the other taxes and fees the Feds, state, county and city government want me to pay.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:08 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:

All of "those things" represent a small portion of total government expenditures.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:09 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
It is NOT YOUR MONEY after you have given it to someone else. YOU don't get a personal say in how tax money is spent other than in the voting booth. The election is over at the moment.

Don't know whether or not you are retired or still working, but when you were working, did someone pay your salary to a person other than yourself? Did the company you worked for force you to come to work every day and yet refused to pay you? THAT might be slavery if that's the way it worked. PAYING TAXES is not related to slavery in any way.

I'm saying that you own most of your labor because you do get paid for that work, unless you just work on a volunteer basis and agree not to be paid.

Your taxes are actually payment for the great good fortune of living in the country and reaping all the benefits that entails.....AND some of that tax money goes to help the poor in this very wealthy country.
I didn't GIVE it to anyone, it was confiscated from me. Of course I'm working for a living and paying a terrible amount of taxes just so others can lay around and do nothing with themselves.

It is slavery when someone else benefits from the work I do. Freedom is when I own my own body and mind and profit from them. As it is, others are profitting from my labor, not I. Yes I'm paid the then the government comes along and confiscates a very large portion of it -- and hands it to those who never lifted a finger for that money.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:41 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I didn't GIVE it to anyone, it was confiscated from me. Of course I'm working for a living and paying a terrible amount of taxes just so others can lay around and do nothing with themselves.

It is slavery when someone else benefits from the work I do. Freedom is when I own my own body and mind and profit from them. As it is, others are profitting from my labor, not I. Yes I'm paid the then the government comes along and confiscates a very large portion of it -- and hands it to those who never lifted a finger for that money.
I don't think you understand how it works:

welfare - the poor are working hard, struggling, and need help

taxes - you're paying for the roads and police

You're not supposed to actually connect the taxes and the welfare. You're supposed to view them separately. You're not supposed to connect that when someone gets $100 check from the government, you had to work to earn that $100 they're getting. No, your $100 went to the fire department.

Note - I'm not saying anything against the safety net itself. I support that. I'm commenting on the tendency to play on compassion to help the poor but then emphasize how taxes go for essential services. Welfare money doesn't fall out of the sky. It comes from working people too.

Last edited by kidkaos2; 03-14-2013 at 02:55 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 01:49 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda
leaving welfare aside for one minute, how about the notion of throwing the 'working poor' out onto the streets in order to make way for a new luxury apartment complex?

This will just be for those that can pay the higher rents.

so how will this help the WORKING burger flipper? (and please come up with something more original than 'they need to up-skill')
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The answer is to upgrade your skills. Sorry, no magic pill, no magic carpet. Hey I can sympathize kind of until you vote for Obama to keep raising taxes on the rich, and he raised them on you LOL.... FOOL!
so you admit that you view the working poor as utterly worthless, because you have no problems with them being displaced.

So when we get rid of the working poor to the suburbs, then who will work the low paid jobs in the center of town?

answer: the working poor of course, except now they will have to commute and push more money up the chain, via transport costs.

Now, what happens when too many of them upskill - we will then have too many at the next level up - are they worthless too?

according to you, yes they are - where does it stop?

I imagine it most probably stops when they start to approach your level and then for some inexplicable reason (add sarcasm here) they suddenly become 'valuable'.

can you not see how your ideology here is similar to that of a dog chasing it's own tail around?

I think you can.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:53 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
The city gets more money from property tax, ultimately, that money is used to help the poor.
You mean like Detroit? Yeah, those poor people are doing wonderful there..

Old 03-14-2013, 01:55 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Thats one of the dumbest attitudes I've ever seen in my entire life. Its almost as if you think we should be thankful to be allowed to work and earn our own money.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:55 AM

5,190 posts, read 4,839,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Rossi View Post
You act as if the poor are somehow special, a cut above, when the opposite is true. They are dismall failures that should be ashamed of their lack of success.
Hardly, because there will always be a bottom tier of society, simply due the the fact that there are not enough decent jobs to go around.

If we all attained Master's degrees then we would still have dish-washers, just ones that were well educated.

so how do you propose we deal with this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies