Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,740,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda
how about they wanted to build a new expressway through Beverley Hills - you reckon eminent domain would cover that?

how about a well-connected and rich mansion owner - you reckon they could just knock his house down? I doubt it somehow.
Every time you liberals reach into my wallet I have less and less sympathy. Force only goes so far before people start to say NO and lose our ability to care .....! Tell Obama we are taxed enough already and he needs to get a grip and stop acting like a greedy ..... too.

I pay my way, let them pay theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 10:48 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
The city gets more money from property tax, ultimately, that money is used to help the poor.
So your position is that "we" knock down low income housing in order to help the poor.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
So your position is that "we" knock down low income housing in order to help the poor.
They get more money to pay for everything, including helping the poor.

Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 PM

Liberals are constantly using "help the poor" as a ploy to play on people emotions to get people or guilt people into giving into Obama. It is losing its effect.

Obama is not trying to bring people out of poverty, he is trying to rob all of us of everything we work hard for.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
who says they don't work?

I"m sure plenty have jobs - and why make it even harder for them to look for work by shoving them out into the suburbs - or is it more a case of 'out of sight, out of mind'?
Who says they don't work? Typically it's the far right wing conservative and/or Republican who says they don't work, who believes the stereotypical "image" of poor people which they get fed by their right wing think tanks and talking heads.

These far right conservatives, the hard-working folks, love the image of the "poor" being that of generations of black people who have lived on welfare for so long. They also believe, to the very core of their being, that there is only personal responsibility in life.......they believe they have ABSOLUTELY NO SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY to the communities they live in or to the world they live in. If one has no social responsibility, then one gets to live guilt-free in the center of one's own greedy universe. They "owe" nothing to anyone ever, and they are very greedy and selfish about "their money".....they even think that after the pay their taxes, which is really a donation made to your community/world for the luxury of living in this great country, they think their tax money still belongs to them. They just can't get the concept that once you pay money to someone else or some entity, that that money is NOT YOURS anymore. In terms of taxes, it belongs to "the people" after it's paid.

Anyway, greed and selfishness are made to seem honorable and right when you believe that the only responsibility you have is to yourself. They all love Ayn Rand too because she just validates their belief that they have no responsibility to anyone or anything other than themselves and sometimes their families.

Then they carry that one step further to say that throwing people out to "sink or swim" is good for THEM. Of course, as long as you throw them out somewhere other than your neighborhood. It's all about being greedy, selfish, and judgemental without any guilty whatsoever.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Who says they don't work? Typically it's the far right wing conservative and/or Republican who says they don't work, who believes the stereotypical "image" of poor people which they get fed by their right wing think tanks and talking heads.

These far right conservatives, the hard-working folks, love the image of the "poor" being that of generations of black people who have lived on welfare for so long. They also believe, to the very core of their being, that there is only personal responsibility in life.......they believe they have ABSOLUTELY NO SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY to the communities they live in or to the world they live in. If one has no social responsibility, then one gets to live guilt-free in the center of one's own greedy universe. They "owe" nothing to anyone ever, and they are very greedy and selfish about "their money".....they even think that after the pay their taxes, which is really a donation made to your community/world for the luxury of living in this great country, they think their tax money still belongs to them. They just can't get the concept that once you pay money to someone else or some entity, that that money is NOT YOURS anymore. In terms of taxes, it belongs to "the people" after it's paid.

Anyway, greed and selfishness are made to seem honorable and right when you believe that the only responsibility you have is to yourself. They all love Ayn Rand too because she just validates their belief that they have no responsibility to anyone or anything other than themselves and sometimes their families.

Then they carry that one step further to say that throwing people out to "sink or swim" is good for THEM. Of course, as long as you throw them out somewhere other than your neighborhood. It's all about being greedy, selfish, and judgemental without any guilty whatsoever.
Maybe you should do some reading about the "culture of poverty" and how it is cyclical in many neighborhoods. I know it doesn't fit your predetermined notions, but keep an open mind.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/18/us...anted=all&_r=0

Old 03-13-2013, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Liberals are constantly using "help the poor" as a ploy to play on people emotions to get people or guilt people into giving into Obama. It is losing its effect.

Obama is not trying to bring people out of poverty, he is trying to rob all of us of everything we work hard for.
And what exactly does Obama plan to do with "everything" you "work hard for" when he gets it?

And, btw, what is "everything" you work hard for....exactly what does that "everything" include?

Actually, liberals are not using anything as a "ploy" to play on people's emotions......Liberals believe in this thing called SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY. We believe that we do have a responsibility to our communities and those less fortunate than we are, therefore, we want to see some of tax money going to help people who need the help. Clearly, conservatives DO NOT BELIEVE IN SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY; they believe in personal responsibility only. They believe that the world does not work better when we all help each other out; they seem to believe that each individual is solely responsible for everything that happens in that individual's life, and, therefore, no one else in the community will be affected by the circumstances of that individual's life. You guys seem to believe that we all exist in billions of teeny, tiny individual worlds, and that nothing anyone does has any affect on anyone else. What's mine is mine and that's all that counts.

See, it's a difference in who we are and what we believe. Liberals believe that a community of people, made up of individuals, can all have a better life and future if we look out for each other. Conservatives, seem to believe that it is not a good thing to look out for anyone but themselves....personal responsibility only. In fact, the best world is one where people not only take personal responsibility but the ALSO understand that they have a social responsibility for the communities in which they live and their friends, neighbors, and fellow citizens. BOTH things are necessary to have the best world.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
And what exactly does Obama plan to do with "everything" you "work hard for" when he gets it?

And, btw, what is "everything" you work hard for....exactly what does that "everything" include?

Actually, liberals are not using anything as a "ploy" to play on people's emotions......Liberals believe in this thing called SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY. We believe that we do have a responsibility to our communities and those less fortunate than we are, therefore, we want to see some of tax money going to help people who need the help. Clearly, conservatives DO NOT BELIEVE IN SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY; they believe in personal responsibility only. They believe that the world does not work better when we all help each other out; they seem to believe that each individual is solely responsible for everything that happens in that individual's life, and, therefore, no one else in the community will be affected by the circumstances of that individual's life. You guys seem to believe that we all exist in billions of teeny, tiny individual worlds, and that nothing anyone does has any affect on anyone else. What's mine is mine and that's all that counts.

See, it's a difference in who we are and what we believe. Liberals believe that a community of people, made up of individuals, can all have a better life and future if we look out for each other. Conservatives, seem to believe that it is not a good thing to look out for anyone but themselves....personal responsibility only. In fact, the best world is one where people not only take personal responsibility but the ALSO understand that they have a social responsibility for the communities in which they live and their friends, neighbors, and fellow citizens. BOTH things are necessary to have the best world.
Since you have such a deep responsibility to those with less you can feel free to send me a check, I need some help paying the bills. This will definitely help me and the community since my HOA payment is also due. I can have a hard time making ends meet sometimes because so much is already taken from my check in the form of taxes plus the other taxes and fees I must pay to the federal, state, county and city governments when ever I earn or spend a single dollar.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Maybe you should do some reading about the "culture of poverty" and how it is cyclical in many neighborhoods. I know it doesn't fit your predetermined notions, but keep an open mind.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/18/us...anted=all&_r=0
That's an article which would certainly make conservatives feel better.

Btw, do you believe you have any social responsibility to the community and the country in which you live?

The poor are always going to be with us. You can't blame the poor for being poor forever. It's a complex issue with many places for blame and requires complex solutions. I would suggest that you, too, keep an open mind even though you appear to have many "preconceived notions" about the poor and what your responsibilities are in that regard.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 PM

And you liberals believe that it is good for some of us to support the poor from generation to generation to generation. I got news for you. There has been a war on poverty LONG before Obama came along and they remain poor. That means they are takers and will not do anything to help themselves, they just keep expecting more freebies. Why in the hell should I be paying more and more while they do nothing or keep having babies for everyone else to support?

You expect us to believe in social responsibility but don't have any issues when they refuse to take personal responsibility.

Save the song and dance for someone else. Thanks to Obama and liberals your song and dance no longer works here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies