Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:35 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If I like Sugar Pops no color coding in the world will make me switch to Shredded Wheat. Those that do watch what they eat don't need color coding.
Then fight against it. That's your hobby, isn't it. Disagree for the sake of disagreeing, and argue for the sake of arguing. Whatever makes you happy. As for me, the coding makes my grocery shopping experience much easier, so I appreciate the stores which color code.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-14-2013 at 07:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 07:39 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
FDA: Calorie-count mandate of ObamaCare “extremely thorny” « Hot Air

Ok big government, more rules/regs loving fools, when the hell is enough enough? This over reaching pile of excrement also wants to force even grocery stores, among others to post calorie counts.

Stupid and a complete waste of time, money, and effort. Big government shows no bounds in its far reaching stupidity.

No one reads calorie counts. There is zero valid justification for this. You don't have to be a genius to know what foods are fatter than others. This would be just laughable if it weren't actually happening.
Of course people read calorie counts. Every woman I know has an App on her smart phone so she can look up calorie counts before we go out to eat and make the best choices! Places with proven track records such as Weight Watchers - encourage it.

Of course, I live in an area that is very aware of health and fitness - so I guess that makes a difference.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,284,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Of course people read calorie counts. Every woman I know has an App on her smart phone so she can look up calorie counts before we go out to eat and make the best choices! Places with proven track records such as Weight Watchers - encourage it.

Of course, I live in an area that is very aware of health and fitness - so I guess that makes a difference.
In La-La Land, nobody counts calories, and consumers don't need information about their purchases before they make them. Everyone there trusts advertising to be completely honest.

Now, who wants a 4500 calorie salad for lunch?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:44 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
Quote:

You mean the private sector has already cheaply and efficiently met a consumer demand that the feds are claiming they need control over?

Didn't know it was possible.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:

I dont' think they have those Apps in the Southern states. They could use them though.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 AM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
In La-La Land, nobody counts calories, and consumers don't need information about their purchases before they make them. Everyone there trusts advertising to be completely honest.

Now, who wants a 4500 calorie salad for lunch?
The print was so tiny, I had to zoom in for these old eyes but I only saw 4500mg sodium which is another
killer. For years I have hated chain restaurants because most everything is so processed it barely resembles actual food.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:50 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Then fight against it. That's your hobby, isn't it. Disagree for the sake of disagreeing, and argue for the sake of arguing. Whatever makes you happy. As for me, the coding makes my grocery shopping experience much easier, so I appreciate the stores which color code.
Yeah right. I'm a bit more realistic than to think color coding food is going to make Americans change their eating habits.

I go to the supermarket to buy food. I don't need to have a "shopping experience" when I get what's on my list.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:52 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
You mean the private sector has already cheaply and efficiently met a consumer demand that the feds are claiming they need control over?

Didn't know it was possible.
Only around here is democratizing information considered a bad thing.
Self professed defenders of freedom and capitalism should be loving this requirement.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:54 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
FDA: Calorie-count mandate of ObamaCare “extremely thorny” « Hot Air

Ok big government, more rules/regs loving fools, when the hell is enough enough? This over reaching pile of excrement also wants to force even grocery stores, among others to post calorie counts.

Stupid and a complete waste of time, money, and effort. Big government shows no bounds in its far reaching stupidity.

No one reads calorie counts. There is zero valid justification for this. You don't have to be a genius to know what foods are fatter than others. This would be just laughable if it weren't actually happening.

Calorie counts are actually a good idea. "Journaling" helps weight loss initiatives. Should the government be involved in this? No

Old 03-14-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
The print was so tiny, I had to zoom in for these old eyes but I only saw 4500mg sodium which is another
killer. For years I have hated chain restaurants because most everything is so processed it barely resembles actual food.
I used to order the Applebee's Chicken Salad, or the Quesadilla Burger until I read about their nutrition counts. I would never have guessed the salad pounds 1300 calories and the Quesadilla Burger is the most calorie and sodium (4000 mg) rich burger on their menu. Sometimes it is impossible to tell by just looking at the menu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies