Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 07:06 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times

Advertisements

The Fed found the keys to the kingdom of unlimited power with the simple phrase "In the name of National Security".

And now I cringe every time I see that as justification for doing things that once required a warrant and justification.

I was against the Patriot Act because of what "could" happen.
As our fear of terrorist grow so does that use of power.
I guess we never thought they would turn and use it on us.
Back then the terrorists were "those foreigners".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 07:08 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The Patriot Act is bad law. It is unnessisary and unconstitutional. It makes American citizens the enimy of the government.
Not necessarily. I'm not for government intrusion, but IF I had your social security number, I could run my own credit check on you, all I would need to do is pay a fee. That's intrusion my friend.

Our government thinks they're doing the right thing by helping prevent further domestic and foreign terror attacks.

Ask yourself, would you rather have some intrusions, or die at the hands of someone who dislikes Americans, or our government?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. Repeal the Patriot Act and NDAA and disband the DHS. Let's please go back to pre 911 when we could at least imagine we were living in a free country.

It certainly would be nice. I'm not sure it's going to happen as long as you the 2 corrupt status quo parties in DC running things. The problem is, the majority of Americans still continue to vote for these a-holes, so nothing is going to change.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:10 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Not necessarily. I'm not for government intrusion, but IF I had your social security number, I could run my own credit check on you, all I would need to do is pay a fee. That's intrusion my friend.

Our government thinks they're doing the right thing by helping prevent further domestic and foreign terror attacks.

Ask yourself, would you rather have some intrusions, or die at the hands of someone who dislikes Americans, or our government?
Tin foil hat time

Old 03-14-2013, 07:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Fear drives change. As long as you fear, you will accept the change.

TSA is in place and groping is acceptable because the alternative is that your plane will blow up mid flight.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:15 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Tin foil hat time

"Is it rolling?" - TV Presenter Laughing Uncontrollably - "Still rolling?" - YouTube

Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
I'd be ready to protest over this.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:29 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post

These words are as true today, as when they were first spoken.

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

Old 03-14-2013, 07:32 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
The practice was formally restricted to the FBI, your information is now available to nearly all government agencies.

Actually your information is and has been available to the big three credit ratings companies for quite some time.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:38 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Actually your information is and has been available to the big three credit ratings companies for quite some time.
Who don't use the information to build criminal cases against individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies