Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 03:48 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,159,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I'm a boomer. And my kids are in your generation. I talk to my kids and their friends all the time. Guess what - they don't complain nearly as much as you. I grew up without suffering. My kids have grown up more comfortable than I did. It isn't because my generation conspired anything. My kids understand why we live the say we do. And they know they are going to college to learn something useful. My gift to them is for them to not have debt for their bachelors degree.
What have I personally been complaining about?

I'm arguing the point of the Economy being worse now than it has been in quite a while. Some could argue the Great Depression. All of you are talking about slows and swells in the amount of profits being made, but your forgetting about the way that it was being distributed.

That's what it boils down to. If any Boomer would do the calculations publicly for us all of you would put your foot in your mouth.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:50 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,038,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is the government you wanted. Now adjust and adapt.
You can't expect government to take care of you and not have to pay for it, do you ?
That doesn't make sense to me. After all, the 70M plus Gen Y'ers aren't responsible for our
present day political policies. They have barely started to vote.

Most of them that voted for Obama, probably first or 2nd time voting, in 2008 voted
against Bush policies, in particular war (foreign policy).

It is harder for them to get started, than the past couple of
decades. Their school tuition is at an all time high, and their job prospects are at an
all time low. Salaries are stagnant and baby boomers aren't leaving the job force -
not because they don't want to, they can't afford to.

They are going to have to tell their kids why all the other generations spent like
drunken sailors on wars that never could win anything except debt, and a jobs economy
that is no more than a service industry to the sick and retired.

Yes, I do feel sorry for them. Doesn't mean they shouldn't get off their ass and try,
like many of them do, but it is a pretty up hill climb and a pretty steep hill they have
going for them with the economy other generations have left/are leaving them for
the future.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
That's what the rich/priviledged/conservatives always say. Work your way up, pull yourself up. But then they were born into a rich, educated family where they were mentored by their parents, had connections, and their degree was paid for by daddy.
It's so true.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 PM

639 posts, read 1,126,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They are "Generation me", very narcissistic and having wealth is very important to them.
A mere 30% of them care about politics. Seems like apathy is winning with each new generation of adults.
That's the general description of Gen-Y.

I should have really posted.."This is the government you got because you didn't care enough"
Yea because nobody in the baby boomer generation is materialistic, stuck-up, and has a keeping up with the Jonses' attitude.

And if GenY is narcissistic and concerned with wealth, where do you think they got that attitude from? Their baby boomer parents at the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
We're living in the same economy.
I get it, you're so very special.
No one else suffers like you do.
My heart bleeds for you.
I just got off work. Smoked a bowl. And have some money in my pocket for the weekend.

Your old.

Have a good weekend.

9,961 posts, read 17,568,890 times
Young people today just expect everything handed to them on a silver platter. Back in my day, growing up consisted of walking barefoot uphill to school(both directions) through a blizzard carrying burlap sacks filled with heavy rocks before going to our afterschool jobs at the local coal mine and weekend work at the sawmill. The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time....zzzzzz

Yes folks, things were much different way back in the olden days--meaning of course the late 1980s...

Old 03-15-2013, 04:00 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,824,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
What America did you grow up in???

No classes??? There are most definitely classes.

The only difference between us and the countries with rigid class systems is that here one can change their class through merit.

The class system still does exist though.

And Obama doesn't prove anything other than one can transcend class through merit.
All that American has ever offered is a chance to improve one's lot in life...

In other words, a person is not limited or station predetermined. People with nothing or very little continue to make it and America is still a draw in the world.

Most that make it are very good at what they do or take on the risk and rewards of starting a business.

I grew up and live in California and mostly in East Oakland.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:01 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,249,794 times
Walking up hill in both direction doesn't make much sense unless...

Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
All that American has ever offered is a chance to improve one's lot in life...

In other words, a person is not limited or station predetermined. People with nothing or very little continue to make it and America is still a draw in the world.

Most that make it are very good at what they do or take on the risk and rewards of starting a business.

I grew up and live in California and mostly in East Oakland.
I took the route that you suggested. I'm happy about my career and my path moving forward. What I"m arguing for is the well being of the rest of my fellow Americans. Maybe its a difference in values, I dunno. I just happen to give a damn about my fellow humans.

I create jobs and provide a damn good service to my community. I work my ass off and work more than just about anybody on these threads. I know because I know about the job market. It's not about ME ME ME. It's about all of us. I think that's whats lacking in the current generation in control.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:03 PM

45,579 posts, read 60,945,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
What was the average wage and cost of living in that same time frame compared to now?

Historical Consumer Price Index
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies