Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2013, 12:01 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
We just need full on protest again. It's the only thing that's gonna garner some attention to our issues. Conversation isn't working. The system is broken. Too many are suffering and accumulating decades of debt.
I would completely back the younger generation if they did this. Where have they been? Get your voice or not. Seems to me and I'm generalizing here, many of them made fun of those who did complain about the massive give away to Wall Street that has been a large reason why the economy has been in neutral.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:17 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,372,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Wealth inequality between young and old. Really? And your problem is?
Society is set up to shift wealth from the young to the old. There are all sorts of things behind this, but really it is a reflection of who has power, and ergo who deserves blame for the messes we are in.

In essence the young are taxed at high rates (earned income v. capital gains/dividends) the social spending is almost exclusively on the old in Medicare and SS. It is no wonder.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:43 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,131,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
That's the problem. You are explaining a perspective. They are trying to relay an objective reality. You act as if its some debate. The financial result is in. The only debate is on what mechanism has caused this.

Wealth Inequality Between Young and Old Generations Reaches Record High - Forbes
As a result, the wealth gap between old and young American households has quadrupled in the past 25 years. In 1984, households age 65 and up were 10 times wealthier than their younger counterparts. Now, they are 47 times wealthier.

Do you deny this? If you deny it then there is no bother to continue the debate.
Can't deny it.. it's fact... but you have to ask yourself this... WHY is the wealth gap greater than their young counterparts? Could it be that perhaps we've had 40 more years of building that wealth? Could it be that wealth (in the truest form) comes from asset's and not income? Could those asset's be from real estate, paid month at a time over the course of 30 years? And could those asset's also now be less more today than they were yesterday? Which if the case, wouldn't that gap be getting smaller?

I would expect the gap of true wealth to be less for those younger. I know it doesn't make it any easier for today's youth, but so many of them have the I want it now, why can't I have it now attitude. And I'm not saying I didn't either. I remember a lesson learned from my dear mother once when I was crying because I couldn't afford to buy my son a Christmas present. And she had.. over and above what I felt was necessary. I thought it made me look bad. She explained it in the simplest terms. There was a day when she couldn't afford anything for me, so her parents did for me. She was at a time in her life that she could do for my son what I couldn't.. and there would come a day when I could do for my grandkids what my son won't. It's part of the cycle. And she's right. It's just our turn. She now is living on a fixed retirement income and couldn't do even though she wants to. I know it sounds like a bad tune from the Lion King.. but it really is the "Circle of Life."

Old 03-18-2013, 12:46 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,666,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Society is set up to shift wealth from the young to the old. There are all sorts of things behind this, but really it is a reflection of who has power, and ergo who deserves blame for the messes we are in.

In essence the young are taxed at high rates (earned income v. capital gains/dividends) the social spending is almost exclusively on the old in Medicare and SS. It is no wonder.
Do you think "time" can be a factor?

Old 03-18-2013, 12:52 PM

17,389 posts, read 11,938,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Because they SAY they want to cut government spending. If that is true, then cutting their own Medicare is the best place to start.

They won't do this , which means there's no point in taking their hypocritical opinions seriously.

To say "They paid into the system for X years" is an odd thing to attempt to gain my sympathy over, considering that they're asking me to do the exact same thing -- pay into the system for decades, and then have my future benefits cut when I get there. It's asking me to compromise so they don't have to.
And you SAY you want to cut spending, but I'm guessing you voted for Obama. Why should anyone that has paid into the system NOT get their due, when we are giving money to green energy, robotic squirrels and illegals? But THOSE things first, then we can talk about cutting more if there is a need.

You've proven right here how incredibly selfish you are - you're willing to dump the older generation that has paid in, but not yourself.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:52 PM

28,110 posts, read 63,531,084 times
My point is people still succeed and it should be celebrated... even Gen Y

I went to the young lady's graduation celebration and her wedding...

Her graduation was a celebration on so many levels... first from her family to attend a University, first to land a job with retirement and medical and all done during the worst economic period since the Great Depression and not a silver spoon or land baron in the family on any one's side.

Call it my optimism... American is celebrated because people still achieve their dreams and as long as this happens for even a few that work hard and play by the rules... why dismiss when it is an example others can learn from.

As far anecdotal... we are all products of our environment... perhaps if I lived somewhere else... it would be different.

The fact remains the SF Bay Area is a special place where people are still drawn.

Old 03-18-2013, 12:53 PM

17,389 posts, read 11,938,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
He stole the idea.

What "luck"
So, the guy that had this idea "stolen" - why didn't HE start up FB?

Ideas are worthless unless you have someone willing to take the risk to act on it. It's not luck, as I said - it took hard work, a willingness to take a risk, and the ability to see a good idea and run with it. The person that had the idea "stolen" from them should have acted on it themselves.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:02 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,131,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
My point is people still succeed and it should be celebrated... even Gen Y

I went to the young lady's graduation celebration and her wedding...

Her graduation was a celebration on so many levels... first from her family to attend a University, first to land a job with retirement and medical and all done during the worst economic period since the Great Depression and not a silver spoon or land baron in the family on any one's side.

Call it my optimism... American is celebrated because people still achieve their dreams and as long as this happens for even a few that work hard and play by the rules... why dismiss when it is an example others can learn from.

As far anecdotal... we are all products of our environment... perhaps if I lived somewhere else... it would be different.

The fact remains the SF Bay Area is a special place where people are still drawn.
Congrats to that young lady!

I'm hoping the same celebration... my son will defend his dissertation in the next few months.. not only his doctorate, but the FIRST in our family to have a college degree of any kind. He's achieving his dreams too even in this financial environment. How it shakes out remains to be seen, but knowing the kid... he'll hit some bumps in the road, but he'll be fine... just like the other of today's youth who have the drive and determination.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:03 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,666,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So, the guy that had this idea "stolen" - why didn't HE start up FB?

Ideas are worthless unless you have someone willing to take the risk to act on it. It's not luck, as I said - it took hard work, a willingness to take a risk, and the ability to see a good idea and run with it. The person that had the idea "stolen" from them should have acted on it themselves.
I'll bet the guy who supposedly had the idea still would not have done anything.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,079,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I suppose you would say that anyone who makes a chair stole the idea from the guy who made the first chair too, right? Since when is inventing a better wheel than the next guy 'stealing'?

No, he actually stole the idea from the Winkelvoss twins, classmates from Harvard. They won a pretty hefty settlement, if I recall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.