Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
Maybe for the bankers, but not for us ordinary folk.
Then you need to find your niche. No one is going to hand it to you or tweet it to you or post it on your facebook page.

Find a low COL area that has a good number of employers in your area of expertise and move.
When handed lemons..go make some lemonade.

Forget about starting an ebay business. Try weekend flea markets or farmer markets.
Heck of a lot cheaper to get into and you don't have to go every weekend.
I've done that..baby clothes sell like hot cakes because everyone loves to buy baby clothes.
Find a wholesaler, get a sales tax permit, a folding table, a spot at the market and you're "in business".
If you need to generate more money then innovate as they say. Get a mower and do weekend landscaping/mowing. Plenty of cash generating ideas that don't take an arm and leg to start.
NOTHING is beneath you should be your mantra.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:58 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
I'm not saying older people haven't been hit hard too, but at least you guys had an opportunity to start families, have kids, etc. Generation Y does not have the luxury you boomers and xers did in young adulthood.
LOL! Where were you when we were handing out antidepressants like candy when the dot.com bubble burst and everyone's portfolios were in the toilet and people were losing their homes?

Oh, yeah...in your nappies, crying about something else.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:59 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Yes, yes it would be specific to our generation unless you came of age in the 1930s, because that is the last time we had an economic problem this protracted and this deep.

The fact is getting in the door in terms of even basic employment is hard and because what little job growth we have had is dumbbell shaped getting into a profession is very hard.
Perhaps, maybe you should step back and look at this from a very non-selfish point of view. It's hard for you starting out.. yep.. but have you ever looked at it through the eyes of a person who's getting ready to retire. This economy effects them too. They are dealing with decreasing incomes, rising health care, taking care of elderly parents themselves. They may be dealing with their own children's education. Your not the only one hurting. What about the pity-party for them?

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Well even though we are the same generation (I'm 1990 so about 10 years younger than you), you still came of age in the late 90s/early 00s which is a lot more of a prosperous time than now. Things have changed quite a bit. Was way easier to make money in those days.
When I was in the Air Force. I didn't go to college until 2002, graduated early in 2005 because I took on a massive load of classes, within a month of graduation I was working for T-Mobile as a Field Technician on RF equipment in Michigan, and I've grown with the industry since then. Started at 18 dollars an hour, now I'm making nearly six figures with salary, benefits, and my bonuses.

Just try harder. I see a lot of folks around my age who simply have given up, and want someone to give them something that no one is ever going to give them.

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Then why all the GenY complainers? They have the advantage of being younger and more energetic than us older folks, and age is not (yet) a protected class.
Being young is nice, but missing out on all the great things about being young, like being able to start a family and see the world, is not. Many Gen Yers seem much older than their age psychologically and I think it's exactly because we have to accept a life of mediocrity and realize that our effort will very likely not be rewarded.

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Then why all the GenY complainers? They have the advantage of being younger and more energetic than us older folks, and age is not (yet) a protected class.
Being over 40 is a protected class
Age Discrimination in Employment Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Then you need to find your niche. No one is going to hand it to you or tweet it to you or post it on your facebook page.

Find a low COL area that has a good number of employers in your area of expertise and move.
When handed lemons..go make some lemonade.

Forget about starting an ebay business. Try weekend flea markets or farmer markets.
Heck of a lot cheaper to get into and you don't have to go every weekend.
I've done that..baby clothes sell like hot cakes because everyone loves to buy baby clothes.
Find a wholesaler, get a sales tax permit, a folding table, a spot at the market and you're "in business".
If you need to generate more money then innovate as they say. Get a mower and do weekend landscaping/mowing. Plenty of cash generating ideas that don't take an arm and leg to start.
NOTHING is beneath you should be your mantra.
All of this sounds too hard and complicated, plus I actually have to walk around at these flea markets to get a deal, rather than being able to make money at night in my PJs.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:00 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
When I was in the Air Force. I didn't go to college until 2002, graduated early in 2005 because I took on a massive load of classes, within a month of graduation I was working for T-Mobile as a Field Technician on RF equipment in Michigan, and I've grown with the industry since then. Started at 18 dollars an hour, now I'm making nearly six figures with salary, benefits, and my bonuses.

Just try harder. I see a lot of folks around my age who simply have given up, and want someone to give them something that no one is ever going to give them.
Well I hope my engineering degree can buy me some success! I should say that even back in 2005 things were different though - economy imploded in '07.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:01 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Being young is nice, but missing out on all the great things about being young, like being able to start a family and see the world, is not. Many Gen Yers seem much older than their age psychologically and I think it's exactly because we have to accept a life of mediocrity and realize that our effort will very likely not be rewarded.
Psychologically older? You mean the duck face, the 30 somethings playing Halo and Call of Duty, and the inked all over folks?

Old 03-14-2013, 11:02 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Well I hope my engineering degree can buy me some success! I should say that even back in 2005 things were different though - economy imploded in '07.
How was the economy in Detroit Michigan in 2005?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies