Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What I see is that the goalposts have been moved.

Would Gen-Y start out with a 10 year old used car ?
Would Gen-Y aspire to own a 40 year old 2 bedroom home in a solid working class community ?

I think Gen-Y has different aspirations and expectations for that "starting out" phase.
And when it doesn't just "happen" someone needs to be blamed.
That is what I did as a gen Y. Drove used cars and final saved enough money by livings with my parents and my in laws to buy a 65+ year old 3/2 house. We do not all fit your stereotype.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Bartending is not all that bad. Just read a book on mixing drinks and ask the manager if he will help you learn how to deal with customers. Then show up on time every time and stay sober. Eventually you may find a high end bar and make a decent living. Believe me you will never run out of drinkers.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I don't own [MOD CUT/language] aside from my cheap $200 laptop. I just think there's something wrong with a society where there are so many resources yet so many people have either no time or no money. And no they're not all just lazy. Some of them have disabilities, some don't have the luxury of having family and friends who can vouch for them, some of them are simply unlucky.
Case in point of what I was talking about. Things are tough but it's society's fault it's not our fault. There's something wrong with the world for why we're having a hard time.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-15-2013 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: edited quted post

Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
What I see is that the goalposts have been moved.

Would Gen-Y start out with a 10 year old used car ?
Would Gen-Y aspire to own a 40 year old 2 bedroom home in a solid working class community ?

I think Gen-Y has different aspirations and expectations for that "starting out" phase.
And when it doesn't just "happen" someone needs to be blamed.

Well... I'm Gen-X... and I can tell you my car is over 5 years old, and is a simple 4 banger. At this point in the game, and being almost 40, there is no point for me to get a pimped out ride just to show off. I just want to get from point A to point B. As for the 40 year old 2 bedroom house. My grandmother made a comment to me that if she ever decided to downsize, she would consider giving me her house to rent/own. It's a split level built in the 60s with a very nice plot of land (big enough for a riding mower for sure). Let's just say, I'd jump at the chance if she offered it, and would walk away from my condo in a heartbeat! In fact, even if I do strike it rich one day, I don't need to live in a huge McMansion, as I'd rather have a nice roomy ranch on a big plot of land, and have the opportunity to do more travelling.

The thing about material things is that he who has the most toys still dies. You can't take them with you.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
If other generations worked hard or took responsibility why do we have a 16.5 trillion dollar debt, mostly from entitlements?
Many times when I see stock photos of "don't touch my medicare" it's from minority women. I take it you are anti-minority and anti-woman? Be careful now, because you are splintering your base.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,773,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Case in point of what I was talking about. Things are tough but it's society's fault it's not our fault. There's something wrong with the world for why we're having a hard time.
So you really think the system is as good as can be? That nothing is wrong? Like I said, I don't think I'm the one living in a fantasy world.

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I think it has a lot more to do with corporate policy than with government policy. The fact they discriminate against the unemployed, which forces people to go on benefits or worse yet, sleep on the street, is the real issue here.

Globalization and automation hasn't helped either, surely.

Oh, baloney!!! The private sector is where you will find the majority of the jobs, training and a sense of accomplishment. Where do you get your silly ideas? Corporations are out to make a buck. They will hire anyone that can help them achieve that goal. Now, people that sit at home and whine about discrimination and collect a government check will not be hired.

Opportunities abound in America. You need to lift up your eyes, get off the couch and get some skills. I have heard you decry the minimum wage, but you could be using that job to springboard into a better one after showing your desire to make some hard choices and obtain a resume.

It is your choice. Sit at home or get out and be successful.

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Did you read the paragraph after the one you bolded?
That would be the 1% no ?

I'm not even considering the 1%. I hope he's looking at that 65 year old that is your typical middle class.
The wealth gap between 35 and 65 should be comparing middle class to middle class one would hope.

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Bartending is not all that bad. Just read a book on mixing drinks and ask the manager if he will help you learn how to deal with customers. Then show up on time every time and stay sober. Eventually you may find a high end bar and make a decent living. Believe me you will never run out of drinkers.

Greg... as a former DJ, I can tell you that the bartender made more than me in one night just on tips alone!

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Belmont did you know that the government is spending $1.5 million dollars to research why lesbians are fat. (I'm not saying they are). A lot of kids can go to school on that money.
Feds Spend $1.5 Million to Study Why Lesbians Are Fat | CNS News

Did you know that Obama is giving Egypt $450 million dollars to egypt.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/29/wo...ance.html?_r=0

Did you know that the tax payers give $325,000 for a robotic squirrel to study squirrel behavior.
Taxpayer Funded 'Robo-squirrel' Makes Senator's 2012 'Wastebook' - ABC News

Did you know that in DC the tax payer is paying for vacant buildings in DC but the government ignores it.
Your Tax Dollars Pay for Vacant Buildings | Video - ABC News

Taxpayers spend $40 million a year for upkeep of abandon houses
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1417779.html

Look at the government waste. The money could be used to pay for the education that Obama touts but all Obama is interested in doing is increasing taxes AGAIN and taking more money out of the economy so we can send to the bureaucrat so they can waste that too. Anyone who thinks that government can do a better job is in for a rude awakening like you are getting now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies