Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Why are you trying to Blame the older Gen-Y, Gen-X and Baby Boomers Generation for your problems we all had to deal with different problems and issues and you will have to deal with yours..

I mean Boomers had to go off and fight in Vietnam and Gen-X and older Gen-Y had the last Decade of wars to fight and here you complain things are hard cause you do not make 6-figures Right after college

Give me a break their are people esp. our troops and Veterans that come before you and they have the right to earned to be treated Better and have Receive more advantages handed to them for what they did for the rest of us .... you have not IMO

So stop complaining since we have troops still actively serving overseas that go out over the wire everyday and take fire form the Talban and if anybody has anything to complain about anything... It is the Troops and the Veterans that were there and have served the Country....

Not some latte Coffee drinking, yuppie kid(s) that want it all handed to Him/Her on a silver platter without putting in any work to even deserve it.
How about the kids who started out life and tried to buy a house but the typical mortgage rate went from 7.25 percent in the early 1970s to a record 17.5 percent in 1981. In less than a decade rates went up 100+ percent.

These kids don't have a clue what inflationary times are like. And Obama keeps the printing presses going full steam ahead.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
I second this comment, I just quit my job 2 weeks ago and took a chance to work with an electrical contractor ansmd so far i'm loving it. The work right now is mostly low voltage but they do bigger projects and I feel much more fulfilled in what i'm doing now as opposed to my last job as a temp worker which btw the guy I worked with is now being let go and another temp agency is taking over the contract. So I feel pretty damn lucky

Sent from my SGH-T499 using Tapatalk 2
And that, my friend is a job that will always be needed and never offshored.
You can move anywhere you want and just need some paperwork to continue working.
Best of luck in your new venture.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:45 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,525 times
Quote:
I second this comment, I just quit my job 2 weeks ago and took a chance to work with an electrical contractor ansmd so far i'm loving it. The work right now is mostly low voltage but they do bigger projects and I feel much more fulfilled in what i'm doing now as opposed to my last job as a temp worker which btw the guy I worked with is now being let go and another temp agency is taking over the contract. So I feel pretty damn lucky

Good Luck! I think you made a wise decision! A good tradesman is hard to find these days..

Old 03-14-2013, 04:47 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
How about the kids who started out life and tried to buy a house but the typical mortgage rate went from 7.25 percent in the early 1970s to a record 17.5 percent in 1981. In less than a decade rates went up 100+ percent.

These kids don't have a clue what inflationary times are like. And Obama keeps the printing presses going full steam ahead.
That would be me. My first mortage was at 11.25%. I remember worrying about the rates going up again before the closing. It seemed like they would never stop. Now we're trying to refinance at less than 3%. I'd say that's an improvement.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:48 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Originally Posted by GTOlover
OP, Go into the Skilled Trades and that is where all the demand and money are and the Future lies for your Generation as the Baby Boomers Retire.

Quote:

I was a sub-contractor in socal for 35 years, and the state of the trades is in the gutter here. The influx of illegal crews has decimated the trades here. You will also be dependent on booms, and subject to busts (feast or famine). Trade unions are the only way to get security in this state, and they are driving the state to bankruptcy.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:49 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,823,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is the government you wanted. Now adjust and adapt.
You can't expect government to take care of you and not have to pay for it, do you ?
You're seriously going to blame someone who was "born yesterday" for the government?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I think Gen Y's problem is that they want to start out at the top and don't start where they belong, at the bottom. Go get ANY job for now and work your way up.
Gen Y's have been starting at the bottom just like everybody else. The only difference is that because of the cost of living, these people are living with three roommates, in their parents' basement or halfway funded by their parents' retirement money. Oh but then it's their fault for not making enough money, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Fee's are relatively small. I've sold on there for years and made good money on the side. I'm not recommending you do it for a living but no, you can't buy the same garbage as everyone else, make a nickel on it and hope to survive.

How come we never hear calls for a reform of the system here? To get a degree in accounting there is no reason why you should be forced to take and pay for a class on 3rd century Tibetan art.

That's how many have always started off. I won't argue that it's far harder to get hired by a GM right out of high school like it once was but there is nothing wrong with starting at the bottom.
Look around you sometime. EVERYBODY starts at the bottom and that is where they stay.

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
I think that's part of the problem too. We're being worked to death. Nobody in the entire world is overworked as much as us Yankees. Even the Japanese don't slave as hard as we do.

The main issue in my opinion is the price of real estate. People have to work hard to prevent being homeless. I consider flipping houses somewhat of a predatory profession since it makes it much harder for people to make a living, it's also part of what caused our economy to collapse.
Oh poor baby, you have to work hard and you are being worked to death. You think you are the first "generation" to have done this? This is one problem people have of people of your generation. You want the world handed to you and not work for it. You expect it to be given too.

When I was young I worked three jobs to support my family. I didn't like it, but I did it. Its just the way things are sometimes. Not everyone is going to have a silver spoon in their mouth and be given everything they want.

This is the United States. Not Japan, not England, not Croatia, and not Australia. This is how things are done here. If you cannot keep up with the workload expected of you, go to one of those countries you think is so great and work/live there. I'm sure they will welcome you with open arms.

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I don't think it is an exaggeration or a generalization to say that the political and big business leadership of your generation thus far has been a dismal failure dominated by greed and infighting. I am not saying that Gen Y should start at the top, but rather its disappointing to watch.
Holy cow; on that we can agree but do you suppose it was any different for our generation? You ever hear of the Rockefellers the Hearsts, did you ever watch Citizen Kane?

Corruption has existed forever and each generation refines it a bit more. When you can be assured that our generation is all firmly planted under the sod, WHO will you then blame for the ONGOING and further refined corruption?

I'm going to promise you one thing now and that is: you are going to be just as dissappointed by your confreres/peers as we have been over the years.

Once again; stop the blame game and affect change OR get used to it.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:50 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
SOOOO much to say, where to start, where to start.

Do you KNOW how hard washing dishes is?? I don't think you do, because it's a HELL of a lot harder than buying something, listing it on ebay and shipping it out! And you sure as hell won't get $19 bucks for you time doing it either!
What?

I've done dish washing as a chore for more than a decade now and washing dishes isn't that hard.

Old 03-14-2013, 04:50 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That would be me. My first mortage was at 11.25%. I remember worrying about the rates going up again before the closing. It seemed like they would never stop. Now we're trying to refinance at less than 3%. I'd say that's an improvement.
Heh, my first mortgage was 13 3/4%, and that was the BEST RATE back in 82.

Low interest is the one positive about the QE, but it will be short lived when inflation roars back. And it won't be long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies