Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 06:38 AM

2,154 posts, read 4,426,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
What about us young people without experience? If you don't have experience, the only way through the door is nepotism.
Not true. VOLUNTEER and internships. I know.. the dirty work for free words

Old 03-15-2013, 06:50 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You Boomers are clueless. Completely clueless as to the Economic situation we have right now.

Just stop talking to my generation. We've heard enough.

All I've read for the past 5 pages is arrogance, unrealistic scenarios, insults, and denial.

Edit: And you can save all of that "lazy, spoiled, entitled" ish and leave it. I was hungry 2 years ago.

Funny.

I am sure I grew up in a worse economic situation than you. However, whining never occurred to me. I was angry over being poor, which motivated me to work and study hard. The result? I am a millionaire many times over. Oddly, so is my brother. My father takes great pride in that fact, and he himself never whined about being poor.

If you say you can't make it, you are just damn lazy. Here is a list of things you can do, all of which would result in your doing fairly well. Sadly, all take work.

1. Identify parts of the country that are doing well economically and move there. You can't find water in a desert. The midwest, with North Dakota in particular, is doing very well. People with little or no experience are being hired in the oil fields there. Our city has an unemployment rate of 3.8%. Our state has an unemployment rate of 4.6%.

2. Identify areas where you can be an employee and do well-
a. journyman for electrician or plumber
b. niche areas like servicing medical equipment
c. healthcare- PA, nurse practitioner, EMT (none of these take a fantastic amount of time)
d. waitress or waiter at good restaurants. My much younger cousin (age 27) makes $200K per year at an upscale restaurant in Chicago
e. business ag- an ag degree with Chinese or Portugese language skills

3. education- My youngest son complains that he is paid $8 per hour as a part time grocery store worker (senior in high school) while I am paid about $500 per hour for far less "demanding" work. I have these funny little things called "degrees" that confer a higher salary, based on education. The world always needs engineers and physicians. Lawyers are a dime a dozen and many new grads cant find work.

You will say, "I cant go to school, as I need to work". My wife got an MBA and a masters in nursing (prior to and during the first few years of our marriage) while working full time as a nurse. She worked "the graveyard shift" so she could go to school. It was tough, but she did it. Now, due to my income, she uses neither degree and works part time as an assistent librarian at an elementary school for fun.

4. start a business- everyone says this. However, I would not reccommend this at all for someone "starting out". You need a little capital and time in your new area of employment to think about this. Rushing into "starting a business" will usually be met with failure, as you will have no knowledge of that business and will probably fail. This should be your plan "C" after several years of work experience.

Liberalism has culled a generation of whiners and "victims" who no longer work. It is amazing. We even see it in medicine, in that the younger docs are worthless and are not used to working long hours and moving quickly. They are disappointed when they do not make thier "expected" salary (like the "old guys") as they do not generate enough clinical revenue. It is a lazy generation. The good news? Anyone in that generation who works hard will stand out. My father (in his late 80s) works part time on a public golf course. He is still strong as an ox and can work me into the ground when he "plays" on my farm. He is in charge of "the kids" who work on the public golf course. He has stated MANY TIMES that the kids today are damn lazy and have not learned proper work ethics, so he drives them like mules and tries to instill some work ethic in them. Most of these kids are golfers from the local high schools; one complained to me about my "slave driver" father and I told him he should be happy he did not have him as a father, as that was the norm.

If you were my kid and whined like you do, I would be enraged. Fortunately, I have instilled a work ethic in my kids, who work and study hard and are doing great. But then again, they look to themselves and seek solutions, rather than blame. They have been conditioned to do so, and are thus conditioned to be successful in a generation of dead beats.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 03-15-2013 at 07:03 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 07:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
The Great Recession has been far deeper and longer lasting than any economic downturn since the Great Depression. So no, not every generation has gone through it. Two generations in the last 100 years have gone through it - or to be more semantically accurate, one went through it and the other is going through it right now.
Just a few posts before this I note that in the 132 months from 1975 to 1986 unemployment was below 7% in only 32 of those months. Inflation was double digit in the later part of those year. Interest rates were as high as 20%.

So tell me again how much worse it is now. Now granted when the QE bubble pops it could make this mess as long lasting as these years.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:05 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,495,383 times
The GenY group thinks they have an entitlement to start at the top, and that they don't have to work their way up. I have to say, though, I work with many in this group who are entrepreneurs and they're doing fine. Salares were wrongly inflated for 6/7 years. Now's also a good time to buy real estate, but many Gen Y folks are foolishly paying rents equal to double or triple a mortgage payment. Because they want a party life. Yes, there are exceptions. But any whining from this group gets no sympathy from me.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:11 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
It takes money to move. How are you going to get money together without any coming in from wages?
You've got no money but you have to pack your things, whaaaa?

Are you kidding me? Sell every darn thing you have then get yer butt up the highway to better prospects. Have you ever even seen the inside of a YMCA? Most ain't pretty but a cot and a breakfast will get you started hoofing the streets looking for work.

I did that and I'd bet a plethora of others on here my age, did that.

You are not tied to any one spot by anything other than your "stuff". George Carlin would be wonderful therapy for some on here.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:23 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
The GenY group thinks they have an entitlement to start at the top, and that they don't have to work their way up. I have to say, though, I work with many in this group who are entrepreneurs and they're doing fine. Salares were wrongly inflated for 6/7 years. Now's also a good time to buy real estate, but many Gen Y folks are foolishly paying rents equal to double or triple a mortgage payment. Because they want a party life. Yes, there are exceptions. But any whining from this group gets no sympathy from me.
Holy moly have you hit the nail on the head.

I walk miles every day for exercise because at my age if you don't, you seize up. I pass by many many affordable properties that were I younger and needed the stress I'd jump on in a heartbeat,

Sixplexes that are going for a song that you could live in one unit while garnering rent income from the others would easily net you a monthly profit while performing the routine maintenance yourself in your evenings after work.

Small business opportunities abound if you're not too busy concentrating on your latest whiz bang I-phone you can't afford the plan for.

All of these kids on here whining but I bet every single one of them has the latest thing in a cel/data/text-plan that they use solely for social networking.

Gotta love it when I walked past a shop the other day that leases bling wheels and tires ~ that's right they'll lease you a set of wheels that are worth 2 grand so you can dress up your $200. Honda civic beater. Someone saw a niche and went for it. There were no less than 12 cars sitting on his lot waiting for their shiny "look at me, I don't have a pot to pi** in, or a window to throw it out of but I got me some brute wheels".

Old 03-15-2013, 07:36 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
There are jobs EVERYWHERE...

I'm getting sick of the whole "there are no jobs" bit.

At no time since the so-called recession hit have I had less than two jobs (except for a short time while in school), one a permanent and the second a rotating list of paces that I would work at until bored.

Seriously, in every city newspaper and on Craigslist there are tens of thousands of jobs. There are all the trades taking apprentices. You can make your own job.

In my experience, people complaining about the lack of jobs fall into two categories. The highly over-qualified (they actually may be in a pickle) and the lazy.

If you are young you aren't over-qualified...
Then why such a high unemployment rate if there's an abundance of jobs?? Do you think everybody is just making things up?

I really don't understand your reasoning. And I'm not talking about myself personally looking for a job.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
There are PLENTY of jobs. Just not enough qualified people for them. Too many lazy people or people without skills. You know, the ones that hop from job to job because how dare they should have to actually climb up the ladder to earn more than minimum wage
There's hardly any mobility in the market now. So as far as "moving up", I don't know what your referring too. The older workers are holding onto their jobs for fear of not being able to support their retirement.

If there were plenty of jobs why such a high unemployment rate?? And even if there were jobs, what's the point if 20% of your population cant even pay their bills when working full time?

Old 03-15-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Just a few posts before this I note that in the 132 months from 1975 to 1986 unemployment was below 7% in only 32 of those months. Inflation was double digit in the later part of those year. Interest rates were as high as 20%.

So tell me again how much worse it is now. Now granted when the QE bubble pops it could make this mess as long lasting as these years.
Take into account inflation and you'll see exactly how much worse it is.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:41 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,748,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You've got no money but you have to pack your things, whaaaa?

Are you kidding me? Sell every darn thing you have then get yer butt up the highway to better prospects. Have you ever even seen the inside of a YMCA? Most ain't pretty but a cot and a breakfast will get you started hoofing the streets looking for work.

I did that and I'd bet a plethora of others on here my age, did that.

You are not tied to any one spot by anything other than your "stuff". George Carlin would be wonderful therapy for some on here.
Hmm let me see if I can illustrate how much it can cost to "go somewhere with jobs" with just my move.

Moved from 40207 to 22204 in June 2012. Roughly 600 miles.
Louisville, KY 40207 to Arlington, VA 22204 - Google Maps

- I paid $150 for a round trip bus ticket and $240 for a hotel stay (hotels are not cheap in Washington and no one else had a spare bed) to go and sign papers and undergo clearance for my new job.
- I paid $75-100 total to clean up my place in Louisville so it would pass final inspection.
- I packed everything in my car and threw out whatever didn't fit.
- I drove 600 miles so I filled up at least twice. 15 gallon gas tank at 3.50 per gallon times at least twice is $105.
- When I got to Arlington, I handed my roommate a check for $900 to cover first's months rent and other fees.

It is not that easy to just get up and go somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies