Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 06:55 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
i'd kill to be this guy.
I standing at the parts counter of the local Caterpillar Tractor Dealer ordering parts to overhaul the brake/steering clutches on a Bulldozer... the guy next to me was waiting while a hydraulic line was being made and he asked me how long I had been a diesel mechanic and I told him I wasn't... just a project I was working on...

When I left... he handed my his card and said to come see him if I wanted a job... he owned a local engineering firm...

Heck... when I have my truck and landscape trailer at a rental property I take care of... people stop and want me to give them a price.

The fact is I have never obtained any job that I tested/interviewed for... All the jobs I've had are the result of someone asking me to work for them... including Hospital Engineering Director.

I think it is because instead of talking about what I can do... those hiring saw what I could do.

Somewhat related...

A young lady, age 18 graduated from high school in Colorado and packed her belongings and drove to California because she always dreamed of it... her parents told her once she graduated High School at age 18 she could do what she wanted.

She arrives not knowing anyone and in two days is working and earning money... she asked around and got a waitress job and a few weeks later picked up a second one.... in her spare time she enrolled in community college and taking courses in green building...

She just turned 20 last week... has an apartment and two jobs and goes to school... and 100% supports herself... I manage the property she rents and asked her why she takes the bus or bikes everywhere... she said she sold her car for the money to get the apartment... that was a 1.5 years ago and she is doing great...

She does quite well for herself...

Some said why would a rent to someone new to the area and so young... my reply... I checked her credit just like I would for anyone and she had no bad credit, works to jobs making enough for a modest apartment.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:57 PM

20,718 posts, read 19,360,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
What I have come to expect most from you is consistency and accuracy with respect to the history of the various fathers of economics. One doesn't need to be a Keynesian to understand the theory of Keynes anymore than one needs to be a Nobel laureate to understand the numerous economic metaphors hidden in Baum's Wizard of Oz.

The Keynesians today have latched onto portions of his theory, ignoring important tenets of his writings. I expected at least you to concur that Maynard, like many of his era, was an elitist and not a friend to those who now worship his legacy.

Your appeal that I acknowledge that Keynes was an elitist has been most graciously granted.

I think he would have wanted me to put it that way.

At least someone finally put a stop to the idea that bankers are all about good will and charity to mankind and could never self-servingly create volatility in the markets.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,769,934 times
Times are tough for us in the younger generations that are trying to make it on our own. I think this experience will help us in the long run as we will always have that feeling in the back of our mind that things can always get bad, so we better prepare for it just in case it does get bad again.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
i'd kill to be this guy.
I'll tell you what he did. He filled out an application to that store on-line and then went into the store and asked to speak to the manager. He asked the manager if they were hiring or did they anticipate that they'd be hiring and so the manager told him to apply on-line, so he told them he already had so the manager told him to sit at some computer and take a pre-employment screening exam so he did and by the time he got home which was in less than 15 minutes, the manager was calling him to come in and finish the hiring process, which included filling out direct deposit forms and going somewhere for the drug test.

I also know of a guy who was given a job at a restaurant pretty much on the spot because he noticed they were busy and the service was pretty slow so he asked them if they didn't have enough waiters. They told them they didn't so he asked if they were hiring and they asked him if he wanted a job so he said yes and was hired.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Perhaps the new jobs pay less than they used to and as a result people have less disposable income leading to less consumer demand which leads to less demand for labor.
Or it could be plenty of applicants for the wage offered.

I've posted before about the owner of a floor covering business... he pays a decent wage with medical.

His biggest problems are applicants that can't pass a drug test and/or don't have a clean driving record... amazing how many experienced people he has had to turn away because he can't get them insured to drive a company vehicle...

When you think about it... these problems are not something that happens to you... they are problems you create.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Happened to my daughter, and she's still in school. She saw a sign in the window and walked in to ask questions; after talking to the manager she was hired pending a call to her references. But then again, she has no strange piercings, no tattoos, normal hair color, dresses conservatively, speaks correctly, is clean, polite, and has a good disposition.

ETA: And can pass a drug test.
all easily passed.

but, i'm thug like in appearance, so i have to wear suits and stuff just to get a look.

it's a hard life for me. love it regardless.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
all easily passed.

but, i'm thug like in appearance, so i have to wear suits and stuff just to get a look.

it's a hard life for me. love it regardless.
You could probably find it easy enough getting a job as a security guard or bouncer. What might not help you in getting a job at Victoria's Secret can help you in getting a job somewhere else.

I once asked a guy who came to get my car opened up when I'd left the keys in it how he learned how to do it and he said he used to be a bad guy, but actually does better opening them legally and getting paid for doing it. Sometimes what hurts you for one thing, helps you for another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Times are tough for us in the younger generations that are trying to make it on our own. I think this experience will help us in the long run as we will always have that feeling in the back of our mind that things can always get bad, so we better prepare for it just in case it does get bad again.
It's similar to those I know that lived the Depression... to say they are frugal might be an understatement.

They are all getting on in years now... the common thing is going through something like that will change a person for life.

The second home I bought was built in 1922 and I bought it from the original owner...

She was bound and determined not to be homeless and even though the house was 3 bedrooms and 1050 square feet... she took on two borders and did laundry and sewing to keep from loosing her home... her husband died and she was one widow that was not going to be out on the street. Mom and young daughter shared one room all the way through 1945.

3,493 posts, read 4,671,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I'll tell you what he did. He filled out an application to that store on-line and then went into the store and asked to speak to the manager. He asked the manager if they were hiring or did they anticipate that they'd be hiring and so the manager told him to apply on-line, so he told them he already had so the manager told him to sit at some computer and take a pre-employment screening exam so he did and by the time he got home which was in less than 15 minutes, the manager was calling him to come in and finish the hiring process, which included filling out direct deposit forms and going somewhere for the drug test.

I also know of a guy who was given a job at a restaurant pretty much on the spot because he noticed they were busy and the service was pretty slow so he asked them if they didn't have enough waiters. They told them they didn't so he asked if they were hiring and they asked him if he wanted a job so he said yes and was hired.
my problem is that i don't settle for working at a store. i need a plush office...good pay...benefits... healthcare..retirements...options to buy company stock..ability to say "i'm not showing today"..

yet, the work i produce would be worth it.

i've been at this for 4 years now..

working for others sucks. working for yourself? even more so.

meh, i deserve it.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:07 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Or it could be plenty of applicants for the wage offered.

I've posted before about the owner of a floor covering business... he pays a decent wage with medical.

His biggest problems are applicants that can't pass a drug test and/or don't have a clean driving record... amazing how many experienced people he has had to turn away because he can't get them insured to drive a company vehicle...

When you think about it... these problems are not something that happens to you... they are problems you create.
Damn. People should know that you are going to have to take a drug test... I knew one guy that did flooring and tile for himself. He is talented but he has to compete against illegal labor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies