Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 07:30 PM

20,706 posts, read 19,349,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Ironically, that is why we are in a balance sheet recession. The private market, as a whole, is focused on deleveraging.
Finally someone who speaks economicish..

Old 03-15-2013, 07:32 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
How does anyone do it? Some examples.

1) Start a business. For example on Ebay. If you make a profit, they will take most of your money away in fees to the point it's not even worth the time put into listing and shipping. Or take out a loan and open up a place, and fail because nobody can afford your service in this economy.

2) Go to college. Only everyone goes to college so you are likely not to get a job for it, and you're left in servitude paying off your student loan debt. There are plenty of people still paying off their loans from the 1980s.

3) If you're lucky enough to find a job, most of them pay barely over minimum wage. Perhaps enough to share an apartment with a friend or partner, but by no means enough to start a family. The work is also more often than not very mundane and stressful, usually retail or cold calling.

I don't think this is justified in a country with so many resources. There needs to be a structural change. I'm 23 years old and I feel like my generation born in the 1980s/1990s has little hope of being more than debt serfs.
Its alwasy hard to start working. Now days few even start until tehy are late teens. I started at age 10 with a paper route then worked at least pasttime thru college and ful time in summer. learned alot by working.I got to above minimu wage in teens workig at gorcery stores by age 15 because I had gained experience in stores.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:57 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Oh yeah, the depression was a great time for all.
Lots of fun and laughter.
No one was hungry or bankrupt.
No one begged for food.

While your parents drove you and wiped your butt in the little boys room.
You poor, poor baby.
Uh; reading the post you quoted, the Silent Generation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia CAME OF AGE in the 1940's and 1950's when times were GOOD. Sheesh!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:03 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,744,923 times
Quote:
I think it has a lot more to do with corporate policy than with government policy. The fact they discriminate against the unemployed, which forces people to go on benefits or worse yet, sleep on the street, is the real issue here.
Too funny...

Put your faith in government and see where that gets you.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:04 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
The thing is the world is different now. It's not the 60s, 70s or 80s anymore. Sometimes there is no way up. That's why you see 40 year olds working at McDonalds. There are only so many well paying blue collar and professional educated jobs.

I think the solution is to combat corporate greed, and then cut hours yet also pay people more per hour.
I'm not buying what you are selling....There are tons of good paying jobs out there that the retiring baby boomers are vacating...It's time for you to get your pessimistic attitude overhauled, stop whining, and put some effort into acquiring a marketable skill.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Have just read to #570, so if I'm being repetitious, I apologize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Am I remembering wrong, or didn't folks used to retire at 55? They'd retire at 55, get their gold watch, retire to FL in one of those 55 and older trailer parks, then start SS at 62? Heck, hubby is 52 and I'm 50 and there is no way we can retire at 55 especially since we've already been raised to age 67 on SS. There's a lot a jobs that have been lost to the young for the basic reason that people just cannot retire anymore and open those jobs up to them.
I do not know anyone who retired at 55. My parents did not, my spouse's parents did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Gen-Y for the most part had everything handed to them their entire childhood and teenage years. They lived off the boomers' excesses, who were fortunate enough to come of age during the best of times in America but also were hard workers and earned the fortunes they have made for themselves. Gen-Y is having a hard time adjusting to the fact that the government or employers aren't going to hand them everything they want just for being "special" like mommy and daddy and the public school system did. They grew up in a public school system that didn't like to fail people and with sports in which score was not kept because their wittle feewings might be hurt if they lost.

It's no wonder they are all extreme liberals. They were raised to be entitled.
Are you serious? The oldest Boomers came "of age" in the late 60s. Not the most prosperous times in America AFAIK. The males had the threat of the draft hanging over them. By 1971, inflation had gotten so bad that Nixon slapped on wage and price controls. A few years later was the first energy crisis. There was Jimmy Carter's "national malaise". By 1980 or so, mortgage interest rates were up at ~ 18%. GMAB.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:29 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I'm not buying what you are selling....There are tons of good paying jobs out there that the retiring baby boomers are vacating...It's time for you to get your pessimistic attitude overhauled, stop whining, and put some effort into acquiring a marketable skill.
But, but, that would require taking responsibility for his own future and having no one to blame if it doesn't include a pot of gold at the end of a rainbow.

How mature and utterly boring.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
2. Identify areas where you can be an employee and do well-
a. journyman for electrician or plumber
b. niche areas like servicing medical equipment
c. healthcare- PA, nurse practitioner, EMT (none of these take a fantastic amount of time)
d. waitress or waiter at good restaurants. My much younger cousin (age 27) makes $200K per year at an upscale restaurant in Chicago
e. business ag- an ag degree with Chinese or Portugese language skills
Do you have a clue how long it takes to become a PA or an NP? Both take at least 6 years (4 yr bachelor's degree + 2 year master's program) and NPs are going towards the doctorate. It's far more education than one needs to be a waitress/waiter, and it's insulting to put them in this category.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Ron Paul.
God forbid!

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 03-15-2013 at 09:08 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 08:45 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub dub II View Post
i'd kill to be this guy.
If you want a job you might be interested to know that lawmakers on both sides are push a bill to approve Keystone pipeline that will create lots of jobs. Unfortunately for you Obama is out there pushing for more green energy cars. How about that, more solyndra and abc1 companies which have gone bankrupt the no worries, there are now green energy typhoons.

Union leaders Brent Booker and David Barnett. The topic was the Keystone XL oil pipeline, which would create an enormous number of jobs. “Our members, construction workers, and middle-class Americans are in desperate need of jobs, and we think that this project could create those for us.”

Obama’s other 2 job-creating ideas are extended UE and infrastructure spending. Barnett noted. The President understands all that. He just doesn’t care. Remember, Obama was outspokenly willing to torpedo the “payroll tax cut” just to stop this pipeline project.

http://www.humanevents.com/2011/12/1...ipeline-delay/

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...92E0OC20130315

Harry Reid will most likely not bring it to the table or Obama will veto it.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:50 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,414,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Your appeal that I acknowledge that Keynes was an elitist has been most graciously granted.

I think he would have wanted me to put it that way.

At least someone finally put a stop to the idea that bankers are all about good will and charity to mankind and could never self-servingly create volatility in the markets.
I will list the primary differences between bankers and parasites below:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies