Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:11 AM

2,096 posts, read 4,753,059 times

Advertisements

How does anyone do it? Some examples.

1) Start a business. For example on Ebay. If you make a profit, they will take most of your money away in fees to the point it's not even worth the time put into listing and shipping. Or take out a loan and open up a place, and fail because nobody can afford your service in this economy.

2) Go to college. Only everyone goes to college so you are likely not to get a job for it, and you're left in servitude paying off your student loan debt. There are plenty of people still paying off their loans from the 1980s.

3) If you're lucky enough to find a job, most of them pay barely over minimum wage. Perhaps enough to share an apartment with a friend or partner, but by no means enough to start a family. The work is also more often than not very mundane and stressful, usually retail or cold calling.

I don't think this is justified in a country with so many resources. There needs to be a structural change. I'm 23 years old and I feel like my generation born in the 1980s/1990s has little hope of being more than debt serfs.

Last edited by belmont22; 03-14-2013 at 10:40 AM..

Old 03-14-2013, 10:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,162,817 times
This is the government you wanted. Now adjust and adapt.
You can't expect government to take care of you and not have to pay for it, do you ?

Old 03-14-2013, 10:16 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,220,517 times
My good friend sells real estate and makes a great living at it. Mostly flipping deeds from his "we'll buy your house" bandit signs and his HAMP/HARP counseling and regular RE transactions. College dropout too.

As HT said, adjust and adapt.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
This is the government you wanted. Now adjust and adapt.
You can't expect government to take care of you and not have to pay for it, do you ?
I think it has a lot more to do with corporate policy than with government policy. The fact they discriminate against the unemployed, which forces people to go on benefits or worse yet, sleep on the street, is the real issue here.

Globalization and automation hasn't helped either, surely.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:26 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,403,441 times
I think Gen Y's problem is that they want to start out at the top and don't start where they belong, at the bottom. Go get ANY job for now and work your way up.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I think Gen Y's problem is that they want to start out at the top and don't start where they belong, at the bottom. Go get ANY job for now and work your way up.
The thing is the world is different now. It's not the 60s, 70s or 80s anymore. Sometimes there is no way up. That's why you see 40 year olds working at McDonalds. There are only so many well paying blue collar and professional educated jobs.

I think the solution is to combat corporate greed, and then cut hours yet also pay people more per hour.

79,902 posts, read 43,902,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belmont22 View Post
How does anyone do it? Some examples.

1) Start a business. For example on Ebay. If you make a profit, they will take most of your money away in fees to the point it's not even worth the time put into listing and shipping. Or take out a loan and open up a place, and fail because nobody can afford your service in this economy.
Fee's are relatively small. I've sold on there for years and made good money on the side. I'm not recommending you do it for a living but no, you can't buy the same garbage as everyone else, make a nickel on it and hope to survive.

Quote:
2) Go to college. Only everyone goes to college so you are likely not to get a job for it, and you're left in servitude paying off your student loan debt. There are plenty of people still paying off their loans from the 1980s.
How come we never hear calls for a reform of the system here? To get a degree in accounting there is no reason why you should be forced to take and pay for a class on 3rd century Tibetan art.

Quote:
3) If you're lucky enough to find a job, most of them pay barely over minimum wage. Perhaps enough to share an apartment with a friend or partner, but by no means enough to start a family. The work is also more often than not very mundane and stressful, usually retail or cold calling.
That's how many have always started off. I won't argue that it's far harder to get hired by a GM right out of high school like it once was but there is nothing wrong with starting at the bottom.

41,478 posts, read 59,561,453 times
Sombody had to fund the Baby Boomer's excesses including all our foreign wars and corporate welfare. Guess what. You're it.

I sugest figuring out a way to consult on government computer programming (try Homeland Security internet spyware) or app development while living in your parents basement to save enough money to buy bank stock. Good luck.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 AM

11,155 posts, read 29,169,156 times
OP, Go into the Skilled Trades and that is where all the demand and money are and the Future lies for your Generation as the Baby Boomers Retire.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,774,156 times
I think the problem is people to to college and get dumb degrees. Go to school and get into a field that is in demand and pays well, 90% of the time that will be something requiring math or science. I am 28 years old and my whole school life I was feed the same crap, if you go to college you will easily get a job, get a job you love and it will be like you never have to work.

Like 1% of society has a job they love. The rest of us just do something that is manageable and puts a roof over our heads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies