Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 12:59 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Iran gets a nuclear weapon or a dozen nuclear weapons, so what. Having nuclear weapons is a good way of keeping the good old USA from invading at the behest of the Saudi's or the Israelis. Mutually assured destruction actually works.

Besides this might be a good century for restoring the Persian Empire.
Mutually Assured Destruction only works when both sides are averse to the destruction.

When the MAD doctrine was developed regarding the USA v USSR, neither country's leaders were making speeches about wiping things off the map the way the Iranian president does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 01:34 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,862 times
Remember during the 2012 presidential debates and romney and ryan kept saying this, and Biden and Obama were calling them crazy?

Old 03-15-2013, 01:42 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,973,712 times
Look what these right wing, lying Neocons were telling us back in 1992, 1996.

Why we must resist Netanyahu and the hawks' reckless push for war on Iran | Murtaza Hussain | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

Now Obama is on their bandwagon.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:43 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,973,712 times
"within three to five years, we can assume that Iran will become autonomous in its ability to develop and produce a nuclear bomb"

Israeli Prime Minister 1992

Old 03-15-2013, 02:32 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Iran has been a year away from a nuke for the last twenty years if you listen to the foamers.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:35 PM

524 posts, read 400,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Read everything I've written on Iran.

I'll rehash the salient points here.

You cannot vilify a moderate.

If the rest of the world attacked Obama the way the Bush Administration attacked Khatami publicly in the global media, Americans would have elected anyone but Obama. The personal attacks by the Bush Administration made the moderate President Khatami appear weak and effeminate in the eyes of Iranians and they naturally responded by electing an hard-liner like Ahmadinejad.

Iran will hold presidential elections this year. Iran has a two-term limitation just like the US. Ahmadinejad cannot run for re-election.

Since controlling Iran in order to have unfettered air, rail, road and sea access to Central Asia is crucial to the success of US Geo-political strategy, the US cannot allow a moderate to be elected, since that would delay the invasion of Iran by as much as 8 years.

That's 8 years worth of oil and natural gas wells, plus pipelines being built to transport Central Asian oil and natural gas to China, Russia and Europe, where it will be sold in Rubles or Euros, but not in US Dollars.

Invading Iran to control Central Asia is (according to the US) the only possible way the US can avoid future serious economic problems.

I guess Democrats are okay with the fact that Clinton didn't give the North Koreans one nuclear reactor, he gave them two plutonium producing nuclear reactors.

Besides, making threats is one thing, having the ability to carry out the threat is something else.

Why don't you impress us and tell us what kind of "nukes" North Korea has?

Unilaterally...

Mircea
^This. Iran has been attempted to destroy the Petrodollar for quite some years and the United States is getting pissed. All oil is supposed to be traded in U.S. dollars. For instance, if I am France, I trade in my Euro's for Dollars to purchase oil. Well, Iran has decided to cut us out of the process. They developed bi-lateral trade agreements with Russia, China, Brazil, and India. They have been accepting their own currencies, gold, and bartering. Japan has also cut out the dollar when purchasing oil from Iran in addition to Turkey. When a country uses the USD to purchase oil, they essentially are purchasing securities and investing. Since the development of OPEC during the Nixon administration in the 70's, the petrodollar has been the standard.

The war drums are beating, but it's not because of a nuke. When will people understand that these "wars" or "conflicts" or whatever classification you would like to label them are not about our safety or our freedom or terrorism, they are about resources, money, and power. Period.

I am a veteran, and back in 2003 when I went in I had no idea about what was going on. I really believed that people hated Americans because we were free. My husband is still in and it makes me sick to know that when he leaves that he could die for protection of commerce and resources. If DADT were around I would ask him use it and get out because there is nothing honorable about what we are doing, there is no terrorism, this never-ending war with an undefinable enemy is just a coverup for our government to go where it wants to do what it wants. Look at AFRICOM, we are building up there nicely don't you think? Plenty to plunder on that continent, unstable governments, ripe for the picking. Now, all of sudden, terrorism in Africa is such a big problem that we, the US military, have to fight there! We have to nation build there! We have to train there! It's like the middle east all over again. Let's start another war, because you know, we can afford to!

Old 03-15-2013, 08:41 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
It seems Israel's been telling us for years that Iran was months away from getting nukes producing nothing but saber-rattling from the right. And NOW it's an issue when Obama says something?

But if he does lead us into yet another asinine war of choice I hope impeachment papers are on his desk within 48 hours.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:54 PM

57,233 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Amazing how little play North Korea has received in the media when they already have nuclear ability, launched missles, underground tests and their leader is beyond crazy, yet Iran is the country we need to worry about, go figure.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,033,806 times
He won't do anything. We won't attack, we won't go to war.

I dont want Iran to have nukes, but it'd be nice to know how far they are REALLY from nuke weapons. I've been hearing for years that they are a year away. Not that we should take it lightly, but lets try and get a handle on just where they are actually at in the process.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:42 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Amazing how little play North Korea has received in the media when they already have nuclear ability, launched missles, underground tests and their leader is beyond crazy, yet Iran is the country we need to worry about, go figure.
There's nothing to go figure. If North Korea has nukes then they have nukes. It has zero to do with the situation in Iran. There's no relationship there. It's not an either-or situation. There's no requirement to not be concerned about Iran because we aren't equally concerned about North Korea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies