Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 08:47 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times

Advertisements

I agree how can you believe something when it doesn't affect you then change it once it does ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
While I am also pleased that Senator Portman has had a 'change of heart', it has always bewildered me (though it should not) that people take strong stances on issues: until it affects him or her. It shows that their 'beliefs' are built on a foundation of sand.

Dick Cheney: the same boat as Senator Portman: since his daughter is gay, he likewise looks favorably on gay rights. If she were not gay, it is easy to suppose that he would be a firebrand against such rights.

In favor of assault weapons? Well, just until the person is shot. Then they propose all sorts of laws limiting access to guns.

There is an old saw concerning 'law and order' people: A conservative is a liberal who has been mugged.

I certainly witnessed some Washington politicians change their minds about the draft back in the late 1960s when their drop-out sons became eligible for the draft (to me it is no coincident that the WWII vets who numbered mightily in the House and Senate started having a change of heart when their own children began hitting draft age).

The problem, of course, is that the rights of gays, for example, should not be subject to a happenstance of a politicians' family member announcing their sexual orientation. A person's opinion should be based upon calm, reflective reasoning, including what the Constitution says.

I will say that I am glad that Senator Portman does not have, apparently, a strong, over-riding religious belief that would trump his son's announcement ("Son, you is going to heck!").

One of my relatives is of the same sort: utterly against any government assistance for anyone whatsoever, until he felt compelled to file for (and began receiving) Federal disability benefits. After some 20 years (he is now 55) of receiving such benefits he has obviously, long ago, received much more in payments than he ever paid in. How he panics whenever his case is up for review for possible cessation! How he howls about the blasted government daring to threaten his monthly payments! Yet, he is adamant about cutting off all assistant to the poor and elderly ("let them sink or swim!"). He also cares not about properly funding the VA, since he (eligible for treatment at such facilities) prefers his own private doctor. Since he is in his own private lifeboat, he can watch with detached amusement as others sink into the depths. I suppose that if his disability were to cease, and he had to file for welfare, his tune, like Senator Portman's, would change some more.

Ah, well! I like the result in the instant case, but I do not care for the process that creates the result.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:00 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Let me guess: I'll bet you are opposed to gay marriage because of your religious views, or perhaps because you find the thought of gay sex to be yucky, or both. Whatever your reasons, you are, of course, free to have your opinions and you are free to feel how you feel. What you are not free to do, however, is interfere with the pursuit of happiness of other people just because their preferences contradict your religious beliefs, or offend your personal sense of taste.
So, anything goes as long as you say you are simply pursuing happiness? I have heard that argument from the legalize-all-drugs crowd. It's a slippery slope, because people can toss in the "pursuit of happiness" argument about any activity. Some people are at their happiest walking around nude, but I don't think we should allow them to practise their pursuit of happiness in public. Do you?

Old 03-15-2013, 09:04 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
You people don't understand American values.

The American value at issue here is not "put the penis in the vagina". The American value is to grow to know and love someone, form a committed partnership, get married and raise a family, and be a stable member of the community.

Who does what with what parts has nothing to do with it.
Believe it or not but Christian beliefs have always been a part of traditional American values, Did you know that every single State Constitution mentions God?

Anyway, the topic here is the hypocrisy of this Senator, who is putting his family matters ahead of those values he was voted in to defend. I think he needs to step down ASAP. Out, out, out.... it makes no sense that these people campaign for votes by promoting traditional values, and then when they get into the office they do a U-turn and start promoting the opposite.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 03-15-2013 at 09:20 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 09:12 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,066 times
Default Rob Portman (R-OH) Supports Same-Sex Marriage

Rob Portman commentary: Gay couples also deserve chance to get married | The Columbus Dispatch

Old 03-15-2013, 09:18 AM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,066 times
In other words, Rob Portman has suddenly discovered that an anti-gay agenda actually hurts people. Or maybe he always knew that, but didn't care so long as those people being hurt were strangers he didn't care about one bit. It's a different story when your agenda of bigotry harms your own child, isn't it, Senator? Too bad it took you so long to figure out that everyone is someone's son or daughter. Well, better late than never.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:19 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
In other words, Rob Portman has suddenly discovered that an anti-gay agenda actually hurts people. Or maybe he always knew that, but didn't care so long as those people being hurt were strangers he didn't care about one bit. It's a different story when your agenda of bigotry harms your own child, isn't it, Senator? Too bad it took you so long to figure out that everyone is someone's son or daughter. Well, better late than never.
Yes. Look down this first page and you will find the thread on this subject.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:20 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Just imagine if these morons had to use our insurance plans! We'd have universal health care tomorrow! And wow, if a daughter had to make a hard choice about abortion ... the mind boggles. Abortion clinics on every corner.

This little episode is a microcosm of the conservative mindset. They're against everything until it affects them personally, because they are incapable of empathy or even acknowledging the very existence of people outside their bubble.
Actually, I suspect there are many daughters of conservatives out there who have taken advantage of Roe v. Wade, and either their parents never know, or it's kept as the family's "dirty little secret."

Much easier to hide a one-time outpatient procedure from your friends and colleagues than a child who is openly gay.

And they can pretend it never happened and continue on in their fight to deny other, less fortunate women the same choice.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:23 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Actually, I suspect there are many daughters of conservatives out there who have taken advantage of Roe v. Wade, and either their parents never know, or it's kept as the family's "dirty little secret."

Much easier to hide a one-time outpatient procedure from your friends and colleagues than a child who is openly gay.

And they can pretend it never happened and continue on in their fight to deny other, less fortunate women the same choice.
True that.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:34 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Believe it or not but Christian beliefs have always been a part of traditional American values, Did you know that every single State Constitution mentions God?

Anyway, the topic here is the hypocrisy of this Senator, who is putting his family matters ahead of those values he was voted in to defend. I think he needs to step down ASAP. Out, out, out.... it makes no sense that these people campaign for votes by promoting traditional values, and then when they get into the office they do a U-turn and start promoting the opposite.
Believe it or not, the Founding Fathers had a perfect opportunity to embody Christian beliefs in the Constitution if they had wanted to do so and they chose not to. It would be nice if you conservatives would follow the lead of those wise men you claim to venerate.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:36 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,918,983 times
Once again it takes something drastic to happen to a loved one or to oneself for a conservative to come around to something like gay marriage, healthcare, gun control, etc...but that is the definition of a conservative: cling on to old ideals for as long as possible until it doesnt make sense or dire circumstances for your hand on the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies