Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
I don't know the details of the case but this kids past makes NO difference. It is the absolute last resort for law enforcement to murder someone in the streets, let alone a minor. 10+ shots in the back seems ridiculously excessive and I hope all truths reveal themselves. It seems the NYPD's training has decreased in quality since they have become so militaristic.

Whoever said NYC is becoming city of The UN said it all.
Yep...pretty much. The militarization of LE goes well beyond NYC as well. Just take a gander at a lot of LE periodicals these days. Advertising in these magazines is predominantly aimed at "tactical" weapons and gear. Uniforms have been transitioning to BDU type, with low slung thigh rig holsters, bristling with extra mags, and the ever present negotiating aid, the TAZER. Hi cap wondernines and 40 SW autos have supplanted 357 revolvers and 1911 type 45s as standard issue, and training in under pressure marksmanship has been replaced by spray and pray shooting, dependent on the high capacity of the current sidearms. M4s and ARs have replaced the shotgun, which, in an urban environment is not such a great thing for LE purposes. High velocity rifle rounds overpenetrate, and put innocents at risk. The option to have an area cleared of civilians doesn't often happen in patrol encounters. That is what SWAT is for, yet patrol officers are using the same weapons.

On close examination, weapons, training, and tactics of rank and file cops could use some critique.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2013, 11:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yep...pretty much. The militarization of LE goes well beyond NYC as well. Just take a gander at a lot of LE periodicals these days. Advertising in these magazines is predominantly aimed at "tactical" weapons and gear. Uniforms have been transitioning to BDU type, with low slung thigh rig holsters, bristling with extra mags, and the ever present negotiating aid, the TAZER. Hi cap wondernines and 40 SW autos have supplanted 357 revolvers and 1911 type 45s as standard issue, and training in under pressure marksmanship has been replaced by spray and pray shooting, dependent on the high capacity of the current sidearms. M4s and ARs have replaced the shotgun, which, in an urban environment is not such a great thing for LE purposes. High velocity rifle rounds overpenetrate, and put innocents at risk. The option to have an area cleared of civilians doesn't often happen in patrol encounters. That is what SWAT is for, yet patrol officers are using the same weapons.

On close examination, weapons, training, and tactics of rank and file cops could use some critique.
First off, you are agreeing with someone who doesn't have the correct information.
It was 7 shots not 10+ and 3 were in the back, not 10+.

Second, the LE's have been getting training from DHS specifically for terrorist control.
And they have been getting money in the form of grants to load up on equipment and gear and weapons.

The Fed is training and promoting this type of local LE behavior.
And I also agree it's getting more militaristic as time goes on and we get to see the "toys" that they bought with DHS money.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:02 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You got the wrong details.

7 shots with 3 in the back.
Well like I said, I didn't know the details of the case. I guess I was using hyperbole but 3 shots in the back still seems excessive. I would never rush to the side of Law Enforcement in this day and age without hearing the whole story, especially the NYPD, like so many on this thread seem to be doing.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Well like I said, I didn't know the details of the case. I guess I was using hyperbole but 3 shots in the back still seems excessive. I would never rush to the side of Law Enforcement in this day and age without hearing the whole story, especially the NYPD, like so many on this thread seem to be doing.
And that is the sad thing today..that we do question police actions.
We cannot be sure anymore that the police did the right thing and defend them.
Times sure have changed.

And that the DHS is now giving them terrorist training is not making anything better.
They've taken on a military style attitude and it's almost like "shoot first and ask questions later" where any suspect is a potential threat to their life right from the get go.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
First off, you are agreeing with someone who doesn't have the correct information.
It was 7 shots not 10+ and 3 were in the back, not 10+.

Second, the LE's have been getting training from DHS specifically for terrorist control.
And they have been getting money in the form of grants to load up on equipment and gear and weapons.

The Fed is training and promoting this type of local LE behavior.
And I also agree it's getting more militaristic as time goes on and we get to see the "toys" that they bought with DHS money.
Well, all I was agreeing with was the militarization of LE. The details of the shooting in NYC, at issue, are still unclear, the only agreement being the number of rounds fired, wbere they hit is still unclear.

What I am commenting on, has less to do with splitting hairs on this particular case, and more to do with how the general details fall in with LE shooting cases in general, these days. Pumping out rounds with gusto, with impact of said rounds not taken into account.

Just a musing.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,109,663 times
#professionalvictim

Old 03-19-2013, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Well, all I was agreeing with was the militarization of LE. The details of the shooting in NYC, at issue, are still unclear, the only agreement being the number of rounds fired, wbere they hit is still unclear.

What I am commenting on, has less to do with splitting hairs on this particular case, and more to do with how the general details fall in with LE shooting cases in general, these days. Pumping out rounds with gusto, with impact of said rounds not taken into account.

Just a musing.
Ok, sorry to have jumped on you.

I agree as well. It's not one or two shots anymore..they are emptying out their guns on people now.
Is that that they can't shoot anymore or is that how they are now trained ?

Old 03-19-2013, 01:03 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is actually not a common trend among liberal cities. This is about the NYPD being stupid. To say this is a liberal thing is just plain incorrect.
NYPD being stupid???
Ya I guess next time they should let the turd shoot the police...
I've said it before....don't point guns at police!

Old 03-20-2013, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Ok, sorry to have jumped on you.

I agree as well. It's not one or two shots anymore..they are emptying out their guns on people now.
Is that that they can't shoot anymore or is that how they are now trained ?
They are actually trained that way. 9mm and 40 SW hi caps are standard LE sidearms. Carrying 15-17 rounds in one mag. Anx they carry several spares. They are taught to hose down suspects/ perps that offer the slightest hint they may be armed. Don't stop till the target stops moving. Not just goes down.

In the old days, when 357 revolvers were the standard, cops would shoot for the vitals, and one well placed 357 WILL stop the fight. Now, well, since they have 15-17 chances to make a vital hit, they just use em' up.

There have been instances, a notable one not long ago in NYC, where over 50 rounds were fired by the cops, requiring the cops involved reload, with the suspect being hit one time, in the leg, and not a serious wound.

Spray n pray brother. Spray n pray.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:06 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,222 times
The difference between a .357 & a .38 Special is only the length of the case. The bore of the barrel is identical. .38 Special can be fired in a .357 but a .357 can't be fired in a .38 Special.

That brand of handgun hasn't been imported into the U.S. in years. It's a piece of crap gun! It wouldn't surprise me that the cops planted it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
One police officer says it was a .357 caliber and another said it was a .38 caliber. Is there any way they could both be right? Wouldn't they be experts on types of guns?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies