Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2013, 11:49 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
But you must ask yourself, 'where did the wealthy capitalist get his money from in the first place'?

did he actually create it all himself?

No, of course not!
Why must you ask yourself that?

Assuming he paid the taxes he owed to the government, and paid the wages he owed to his workers then he's fulfilled his responsibilities. The workers got the compensation they contracted for and the government got what it required of him. So why isn't he free to keep the profit? Why does the fact that he didn't personally build the road outside his store matter if he paid his share of the taxes that paid for that road? Why does the fact that he didn't personally stock the shelves in the store matter as long as he paid the employee who did?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2013, 11:55 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Why must you ask yourself that?

Assuming he paid the taxes he owed to the government, and paid the wages he owed to his workers then he's fulfilled his responsibilities. The workers got the compensation they contracted for and the government got what it required of him. So why isn't he free to keep the profit? Why does the fact that he didn't personally build the road outside his store matter if he paid his share of the taxes that paid for that road? Why does the fact that he didn't personally stock the shelves in the store matter as long as he paid the employee who did?
Les Wexner personally paid a tens of millions to have an interstate expanded so more people could access a mall he built in Columbus, OH.

He's one of those evil 1 percenters the left hates. He's even given so many millions to Ohio State University they name an art center after him.

Evil capitalist pig. He needs to pay his fair share. lols.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:18 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,877,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Yes, you didn't build the public infrastructure that is structure to our economy. Paid for by taxes. This isn't collectivism, this is reality. It's not destruction of liberty to build roads, or water pipes, or schools. A country needs that infrastructure to function in any capacity.

Even implying it is an evil cancer is pure and utter insanity, and this twisting of words has been disproved repeatedly. Still believing this propaganda shows a willful ignorance and ease of being led by slogans that's sad and disturbing.

There is the most obscene statement. You consider your enemy more then half the country, and are willing to dehumanize them to the point where you are willing to go to war. Which is how atrocities and civil wars get their start.
It may be reality but at this point it is also collectivism.

The lions share of our taxes no longer go to support the infrastructure of this country - our infrastructure is in sore disrepair. The lions share of our taxes go to create a public workforce encroaching upon the private sector that is dependent on government which is dependent upon the private sector and its citizens for funding - I think anyone with a third grade education can see that this is not sustainable.

The lions share of our taxes are going to social programs creating a welfare class that is so indoctrinated to suckling the government teat that they miss the bigger picture that is their God Given Birthright as a citizen of this country.

The idea that the majoirty of our taxes are still going to support the infrastructure is either a juvenile belief of astounding naivety or an intentional deceit to confuse the weak minded.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:44 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
It may be reality but at this point it is also collectivism.

The lions share of our taxes no longer go to support the infrastructure of this country - our infrastructure is in sore disrepair. The lions share of our taxes go to create a public workforce encroaching upon the private sector that is dependent on government which is dependent upon the private sector and its citizens for funding - I think anyone with a third grade education can see that this is not sustainable.

The lions share of our taxes are going to social programs creating a welfare class that is so indoctrinated to suckling the government teat that they miss the bigger picture that is their God Given Birthright as a citizen of this country.
What exactly do you define as the welfare class? You say the lions share of our taxes. Actual welfare - payments to poor people - isn't really a huge expense. Medicaid is one of the more out of control programs, but still aid to the underprivileged isn't the majority of the budget. Do you consider medicare and social security to be welfare? Disability?
Quote:
The idea that the majoirty of our taxes are still going to support the infrastructure is either a juvenile belief of astounding naivety or an intentional deceit to confuse the weak minded.
Oh I have no doubt it is an intentional deceit. Similar to abortion where liberals always go to the 2% of abortions that are done for medically necessary reasons and harp on them. When they talk about investing in education they never refer to the teachers getting cadillac health plans with no premiums that our taxes are paying for while we pay hundreds a month for our plans and make a lower salary. Whenever you talk about taxes they will always go to the police or the fire department or the roads to explain why you should be happy to pay taxes.

Old 03-17-2013, 12:46 AM

2,198 posts, read 2,734,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Kills infections.

I was asking about diseases. Cancer, diabetes, that kind of stuff. Ever hear of them?
My mistake, I thought we were using the real definitions of words and not the bizarro definitions that OhioRules M.D. makes up on the spot to suit his purpose.

dis·ease

noun \diz-ˈēz\ (Medical Dictionary)
Medical Definition of DISEASE

: an impairment of the normal state of the living animal or plant body or one of its parts that interrupts or modifies the performance of the vital functions, is typically manifested by distinguishing signs and symptoms, and is a response to environmental factors (as malnutrition, industrial hazards, or climate), to specific infective agents (as worms, bacteria, or viruses), to inherent defects of the organism (as genetic anomalies), or to combinations of these factors : sickness, illness—called also morbus; compare health 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I'll give you one though that's along the same lines. DDT has wiped out malaria in capitalist countries. Though DDT is not a drug it shows what capitalism can do as it's been estimated that 100 million lives have been saved because of it. Only about 200 million lives have been lost to government wars that last 100 years or so. You know, the same entities you believe keep us safe. lols.
Great example, since malaria was eradicated in the United States by the National Malaria Eradication Program. Funded by the federal government and carried out by the CDC, a branch of the United States Public Health Service. Great example of capitalism saving lives. lols

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...cation_Program

Old 03-17-2013, 12:48 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Well, you didn't build the road to you house either, so you should pay more?
Your argument was lame the first time and it is still lame. You people are such simpletons its funny. Oh, and if you don't pay taxes get your azz off my roads.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:35 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
No one believes in this propaganda. For instance "You didn't build that" when listened to incontext talks about the infrastructure needed to support business.
I have the context. I know what he said, and when (in context) he made the "You didn't build that" comment. I still have the transcript saved on my PC.

Obama's claim is that no one built a business on his own. Well, I beg to differ. Most entrepreneurs (unless they did it in partnership with someone) did. And they did it through hard work and perseverance, taking risks, investing their time and personal finances. They spent the long hours (they don't just work an eight hour day and go home) and sacrificed family time, and perhaps gave up vacations for a few years to "make it happen". No one else "made that happen." It was by their own initiative.

I have known some of these people. I have worked for them. All of the companies that I worked for in my life were companies begun in a garage by individuals. Then they moved out into small industrial park facilities as success enabled them. Those industrial parks were built by developers (not government), who were also begun by individuals.

My point is that it is rugged individualism that built America. Even the railroads were built by individuals.

Quote:
You can open the mcdonalds, sure. . but you "didn't build" the road to that mcdonalds, the currency the mcdonalds uses, etc.
Ridiculous argument. The road has nothing to do with the success of the entrepreneur.

"The currency?" Please. How much more ridiculous can you get?

Quote:
If you can't attack the real issues, and insist on fighting ghosts, than mainstream america will continue to walk away. They smell bull****, apparently.
What America is beginning to walk away from, is this collectivist nonsense. Thank God! That is the manure, the odor of which is emanating from our White House, which America smells.

What Obama and his collectivist pals in the Democrat party want you to believe is that they have a claim on the profits of a business. And, I think by your post, you agree with them.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:39 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Repugs would never have anything to say if they didn't take things out of context so they can twist their own warped reality. People rely on the infrastructure we are all responsible for in order that they can come up with their innovations, yet repugs use this as the powder for their canons, only to realize they are shooting duds.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:00 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EugeneOnegin View Post
My mistake, I thought we were using the real definitions of words and not the bizarro definitions that OhioRules M.D. makes up on the spot to suit his purpose.

Great example, since malaria was eradicated in the United States by the National Malaria Eradication Program. Funded by the federal government and carried out by the CDC, a branch of the United States Public Health Service. Great example of capitalism saving lives. lols
You don't know the difference between an infection and disease? And you claim I'm making up definitions of words? lols But if you wanna claim penicillin then that's great. One government approved medicine out of 1000s that cures some things. Too bad there weren't more.

The benefits of using DDT to eradicate malaria was discovered by a capitalist. The National Malaria Eradication Foundation Program was funded by capitalists. The CDC is funded by capitalism. Capitalists made the DDT.

Without capitalism there is no DDT and no money to use it. Government had virtually nothing to do with it. Capitalism paid the government to spread the DDT on insects to eliminate malaria. The government was only a delivery mechanism. Capitalism is what saved lives.

Look at countries that still deal with malaria. No capitalism. And of course government outlawed DDT ensuring that capitalists couldn't save poor people in those countries too. Another example of government killing innocents.

And I made a typo earlier. DDT is estimated to have saved over 500 million deaths. Malaria is believed to have caused half of all deaths in human history. And we had governments for thousands of those years. Capitalism wiped in out in less than 20 years.

So let's review. In the last 100 years capitalism has saved at least 500 million lives. Governments have killed at least 200 million thru warfare alone.

And people think the private sector is the problem? Amazing in their stupidity.

Last edited by OhioRules; 03-17-2013 at 08:20 AM..

Old 03-17-2013, 08:30 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth-Kaunda View Post
I"ll read the article but I imagine it is BS propaganda.

So, tell me, if it weren't for the workers then how would we have any rich people in the first place?
Which came first? The innovator. The entrepreneur, with the idea. Without him (or her), you "workers" (as you like to call yourselves) wouldn't have a job.

In the beginning, a business is often a one man operation. The entrepreneur is chief engineer, production manager, machine operator, technician, draftsman, salesman, sales department head, shipping department head, and invoicing and accounting department.

I have known such people personally, having worked for these small businesses.

Your job, as a hired "worker" (as you prefer to call yourself - I call you an "employee"), is to assemble a product, or perform whatever task you were hired to do, according to instructions given you. You are hired at an agreed upon wage (or salary) to do that job. Beyond that, you have no claim on the profits of the business (the fruits of the labor and intellectual property of the entrepreneur, which belong to him alone, or his partners, should he acquire any). If you don't like this arrangement, you are free to leave and find other employment, or start your own business.

A labor union demands a "worker" be paid according to what it deems fair, which may or may not be commensurate with the value placed on that job by the owner(s) of the company. This is the "tail wagging the dog." It results in a business having to charge higher prices for it's product than it would otherwise like to do, and therefor places the business at a competitive disadvantage with it's competitors who may be non-union (or, for example, foreign competitors). This arrangement does nothing to increase the value or quality of the product.

However, to get back to your original premise, there have been many people who have become rich who do not hire "workers." They are the investors, who (like yourself) have made their living working for someone else. They have saved their money, and invested these savings (what they have left after providing for their day to day living expenses), in other businesses (they buy stock, etc.).

This is what my father did, and he was able to retire at a very young age as a result (his early fifties). Investors like my father help businesses grow, since the sale of stock is one way a company raises capital for expansion.

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 03-17-2013 at 08:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies